A big middle finger to the Sox

Moose Milligan

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Roy Firestone said:

No, you're not, and i understand Oriole fans rage. Most of it is frustration. Alex is one of the most kind hearted, socially conscious,charitable people I know. You should see his work in Hurricane relief in Puerto Rico. I don't agree with his position on this baseball related issue, but theres no way Id ridicule the guy.Hes a great person. And I will root like hell for the Sox if they play the Yankees...any time..anywhere.

Cora might be an OK guy by numerous standards, but it's still pretty clear that the stadium giveaway on August 11th needs to be a poncho or mini-umbrella.

Just now, MrOrange82 said:

Cora might be an OK guy by numerous standards, but it's still pretty clear that the stadium giveaway on August 11th needs to be a poncho or mini-umbrella.

Or a box of tissues and a stuffed animal.

5 minutes ago, MrOrange82 said:

4 minutes ago, nevadaO said:

Or a box of tissues and a stuffed animal.

To be clear, I meant the giveaways to be given to Cora, lol

31 minutes ago, spiritof66 said:

Here's the problem, as I see it.

The rule has been, for at least 60 years and probably much longer, that the home team decides whether to start a game and thenall decisions are in the hands of the umpire(s). I would guess that was because the decision to postpone the game (which when each team played only seven other teams typically meant an additional double-header) had its primary financial impact on the home team that would give up the gate receipts if there were no game. It's possible that there was some deference to the home team's access to weather information in those pre-internet, pre-Weather Channel days or its superior knowledge of the field's drainage capacity and the difficulty/cost of repairing a  wet field beaten up by spikes.

But for a long time, and I can't put dates on it,  the home team's decision didn't count for much. Once it started raining hard, the umpires would delay or call the game. The only way in which the home team could game that system very effectively was to call off a game when the rain was light if they thought a postponement would be in their interest. (Bill Veeck claims to have done that.)

Now, with large, complex and multiple media commitments and ad revenues dependent on a game being played, great improvements in drainage,  a reluctance to play double-headers, and what appears to be virtually zero regard for the fans who have bought tickets and for those who have shown up, the umpires will continue a game (and will delay it but defer the decision to postpone it)  pretty much as long as they can see and there are islands of dry land on the playing field. I assume that's the result of pressure from MLB rather than the umpires' own views of when a game should continue, but I sure don't know that. So the home team's decision to start a game now sets in motion a game that will go on in pretty terrible conditions. That's Cora's gripe, and it's legitimate -- though usually such complaints are directed at the umpires for continuing a game rather than the home team for starting it. 

There's no reason the home team should have any control over whether to start a game, and hat rule should be changed. But it would help if the umpires would not insist that games be started (if they get the authority to decide that)  or continued in ridiculous conditions. The umpires seem to show little regard for the quality of the product, the safety of the players or the welfare of the fans -- and that should change. Jeez, make them play triple headers if the pennant race demands it. But we should get baseball, not the bizarre imitation of it that you see in a driving rain on a soaked field. This ain't football.   

Agree.  MLB in NYC should decide to start the game or not. With all the technology available now, no reason why a team of meteorologists working for MLB cannot review the weather for anywhere in the USA. 

Last night really stinks for the fans, show up and see 20 minutes of baseball, over 2 hour rain delay and then go home. 

The Nationals cancelled 2 games last year based on weather forecasts.  It didn't rain either time and the Nationals understandably took heat both times.  Once was with the Orioles.  If it is playable at game time, you play.  That's how it has always been and that's how it should be.

Alright, alright, alright.  I freely admit that my reaction to the Sox and Cora might not have been right and based on emotion.   Especially after Firestone schooled me on what a good dude Cora apparently is.

Still, can we all agree facing towards New England and extending middle digits?

25 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Alright, alright, alright.  I freely admit that my reaction to the Sox and Cora might not have been right and based on emotion.   Especially after Firestone schooled me on what a good dude Cora apparently is.

Still, can we all agree facing towards New England and extending middle digits?

Cora could be Mother Theresa, he still comes off looking like a whiny child here. 

Really? If the O’s were in the heat of a pennant race and were up 5-0, then the game was called against the worst team in baseball, a game that was destined to get rained out, you’d be pissed too. On top of that, the Yankees had already lost. 

Archived