Extend Dan and Buck... Now

Bradysburns

6 hours ago, clapdiddy said:

I'd rather resign Dan and let him decide about the manager's position.

What, you mean like a really well-run organization? 

I'd be okay with that as well. I never like when an executive has to come in and inherit an entrenched manager... It seems like it worked out with Dan and Buck, for the most part... but that's rare. 

Would be curious to hear any candidate ideas for a new manager, should it come to Buck moving on.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, webbrick2010 said:

Sure hold absolutely no one accountable for the worst record in modern baseball history

Signing Buck means keeping McDowell and Coolbaugh?

Can't wait to see which of the new prospects Buck messes up with his TTP fixation

I have a hard time believing anyone would look at this season and say: FINALLY, we see a true representation of what Dan and Buck are really capable of. I suppose they got lucky during that very recent five-year span in which the Orioles punched above their weight and secured the best winning percentage in baseball. 

Also, my vision would be to start from scratch with everyone BUT Buck and Dan.

In other words, total top-to-bottom reevaluation of coaches, players and support staff... including additional scouts at all levels... Data analysts... the whole thing. 

With that kind of support, and no more interference from PA, it could work out. 

6 hours ago, Aristotelian said:

I have been a big defender of Buck, even his decision in the wild card game. I don't want to see him back. Just don't like his body language and reports of losing the clubhouse. Also very upset with how he handled Kim while bending over backwards for Tillman and David etc.

Appreciate the insights. You're right about Kim especially. I still have no idea what Buck's deal was there. Seemed like Kim could have helped us atop the order, even as a DH, if Buck didn't like his defense. It almost seemed like after Kim refused to go down to the minors, Buck rejected him. 

I am increasingly sympathetic to the idea of re-signing Dan and letting HIM decide. If he wants to keep Buck, fine. If not... great. 

Ultimately, I'd rather we keep some continuity if possible... especially when that continuity has been responsible for five of our best years in recent memory... despite this year's implosion.

6 hours ago, foxfield said:

I too thought resign...not re-sign.

But I want to echo what others have said.  We need to name a GM.  The GM gets to name a manager.  If ownership jointly announces both are returning....then the new direction is same old same old.

Wondering if a mod wouldn't mind changing the title to "Extend Dan and Buck"... 

3 hours ago, Flash- bd said:

I know who to go to when I want to convince someone to buy my lemon of a car. 

Dan said very similar things when he was hired, as @Can_of_corn pointed out in another thread; I'm more interested in his actions. His trades so far this summer have been good, but he has a long track record here, and it's extremely spotty, as LookItsPuck points out, and tbh, he didn't even get into some of the moves that offended me most. 

Buck, well, look, I'll always be eternally grateful to him for working some kind of voodoo magic to get us consistently outwin what level we were really playing at, I'll always love him--he was immortalized on Seinfeld for god's sake, how much better does it get as a baseball manager?--but he definitely needs to go. Even more obviously than Dan. 

What kind of car we talkin' about? I'm ready to buy.

Thing is, you seem to be totally discounting recent signs that ownership might be ready to re-up with Dan, and let him RUN the show... maybe for the first time since he came onboard. 

What you're talking about is a perception only... the perception that Dan is behind all the moves you disagreed with, etc. You (or at least I) have pretty much no idea who was actually pulling the strings. But many reports have suggested that Brady, his sideburns and Peter Angelos have been making a lot of the decisions that I personally have disagreed with. 

Yeah they need to be rewarded for having the team having their worst season ever.   Let's sign Tillman, Colby and Pedro back up as well.   How about we extend Chris Davis too.   4 more years is not enough.  

3 hours ago, tntoriole said:

I want complete turnover.  I want a young analytic GM, like LA, Milwaukee, Houston , Cleveland...and the GM hires his manager. 

I don't want this to sound wrong so take it with a grain of salt. Analytics are stats. Most statistically oriented GM's have never played the game. There has to be a middle ground.

4 hours ago, atomic said:

Yeah they need to be rewarded for having the team having their worst season ever.   Let's sign Tillman, Colby and Pedro back up as well.   How about we extend Chris Davis too.   4 more years is not enough.  

You forgot about signing Brooks and Eddie to player contracts.

DD and Buck built this team for its last run.  Of course there were pieces in place but they put it all together. I think Brady’s role will naturally be smaller because we aren’t courting any FAs. This rebuild isn’t going to be pretty. It’s going to take lots of scouting, waiver wire scouring, and other tedious things. That’s DD and Bucks strength, Findinf Nuggets. 

Keep Brady and Ownership away and we will be back to winning shortly. 

48 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

DD and Buck built this team for its last run.  Of course there were pieces in place but they put it all together. I think Brady’s role will naturally be smaller because we aren’t courting any FAs. This rebuild isn’t going to be pretty. It’s going to take lots of scouting, waiver wire scouring, and other tedious things. That’s DD and Bucks strength, Findinf Nuggets. 

Keep Brady and Ownership away and we will be back to winning shortly. 

Pretty close to how I feel.

4 hours ago, Satyr3206 said:

If some 35 year old GM told me something about how I played, and he never put a jock on. That would be an interesting conversation, to say the least.

What about a 50 year old, former player, not jock wearing (e.g. Carl Crawford)? Is the jock the important thing?

9 hours ago, Bradysburns said:

Appreciate the insights. You're right about Kim especially. I still have no idea what Buck's deal was there. Seemed like Kim could have helped us atop the order, even as a DH, if Buck didn't like his defense. It almost seemed like after Kim refused to go down to the minors, Buck rejected him. 

I am increasingly sympathetic to the idea of re-signing Dan and letting HIM decide. If he wants to keep Buck, fine. If not... great. 

Ultimately, I'd rather we keep some continuity if possible... especially when that continuity has been responsible for five of our best years in recent memory... despite this year's implosion.

Expanding on your Kim comment a bit, here are the three biggest problems I see with Buck and why I don't think it's in our best interest to keep him. 

1) He holds a grudge. I think you hit the nail on the head with your Kim comment. After he refused the minor league assignment he was in Buck's dog house and never got out. Publicly calling out Mountcastle in the preseason seemed unnecessary too.

2) He plays favorites. Davis and Tillman are the biggest examples, but there are others. 

3) He's too stubborn. I'm convinced that he often does things out of spite. For example, louder the media and fans called for Davis to be benched the more often Buck penciled him in the lineup each day. And I wouldn't be surprised if someone from above told Buck to give him that week off. 

Archived