Tuesday's (7/31/18) Trade Deadline

Greg Pappas

4 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Having looked at the CBA and Rules, you may be right.   The rule says the contract of a 10-and-5 player is not “assignable” without consent.   Query whether transferring a waived player’s contract after a claim is an “assignment.”    Can you think of an example of a 10-and-5 guy who was claimed on waivers and changed teams without his consent?

I don;t read that as an assignment. And Andy MacPhail gave me a quick course once on the different types and time for waivers. I'm sure the latest CBA changed them some. 

• Replies 544
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, weams said:

Nope. In most cases, I can't see it being beneficial to any party. I think this is a very odd one. All the players on MLB Network think he is nuts not to want to be in a pennant race. There must be something more here. And it may well be the attempt to end run Duquette. Smart family advice on these matters I'm sure. 

Fred Lynn refused to be traded from the O’s for family reasons.   So did Mussina — or at least, he let it be known he wouldn’t be enthusiastic about entertaining a trade.    

1 hour ago, ReclaimTheCrown said:

Seen this from a couple posters, and definitely not taking a shot at you or others, but what the heck are we gonna talk about after then? Our season has been over since early May lol.

Its crazy and it’s all over the place, but in the midst of a lost season, this is actually interesting. To each his/her own obviously.

Maybe the kids they bring up to play. I don't know.

2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Fred Lynn refused to be traded from the O’s for family reasons.   So did Mussina — or at least, he let it be known he wouldn’t be enthusiastic about entertaining a trade.    

His peers and ex-peers don't see it. 

11 minutes ago, weams said:

Nope. In most cases, I can't see it being beneficial to any party. I think this is a very odd one. All the players on MLB Network think he is nuts not to want to be in a pennant race. There must be something more here. And it may well be the attempt to end run Duquette. Smart family advice on these matters I'm sure. 

Adam Jones has seen his post-season numbers.. doesn't wanna lower his value any.

1 minute ago, weams said:

His peers and ex-peers don't see it. 

By the way, Lynn eventually relented and was traded in late August in a waiver deal, after refusing in July.     I think his agent extracted some concessions. 

3 minutes ago, MurphDogg said:

Which is all well and good, but what does that really entail right now? Pleading with Jones to waive his NTC so we can hope to get a fair prospect? Calling other GMs and trying to talk up Danny Valencia? Most of our interesting pending FA are gone.

Would hope we are being a bit more proactive with guys like Gausman and Givens right now.

Just now, ReclaimTheCrown said:

Which is all well and good, but what does that really entail right now? Pleading with Jones to waive his NTC so we can hope to get a fair prospect? Calling other GMs and trying to talk up Danny Valencia? Most of our interesting pending FA are gone.

Would hope we are being a bit more proactive with guys like Gausman and Givens right now.

Meh, if the offers aren't there, they aren't there. You have to have a minimum price, they certainly don't have to trade Gausman and Givens. There are a lot of relievers available, not sure how much Givens moves the needle. Maybe with a year of closing experience he ends up being more valuable next season.

Archived