Jan.-Apr. 2019 plan

sevastras

7 minutes ago, wildcard said:

I don't see them getting traded.  I think Schoop gets extended this off season.   Gausman the season after.   Givens some time later.     The payroll goes to 100m  next year and maybe 95m the next year.  Then 2021  after some of the top prospects are in the majors the O's do what Philly did and add a couple of free agents like Arrieta and Santana.

I don't see the point in extending Givens. 

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, weams said:

I absolutely would look at him at third in the MLB. He's not perfect, but he is an athlete. 

Once Trumbo goes next July I think Mountcastle is the O's DH.  He will play a little 3B but more DH than anything else.  The O's get Diaz, Hays, Mullins and McKenna in the outfield in a couple of years they will push Mancini to 1B/DH.   Then things get a little crowded.  But that will not happen for a year or two.

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I don't like paying them having guaranteed contracts.

If they are young enough I don't have a probably with it.  Givens will be 31 when he becomes a FA after the 2021 season.   I see Art's point.   Maybe that is too late to extend a reliever.   The one thing the O's seem to do well in find good relievers.

2 minutes ago, weams said:

I've decided that extensions are bad business. I know Adam and Cal. MikeM1. Nick.   But really. 

Schoop is young enough to extend.   But you have a point on guys that are 30 or more and looking for extensions.

5 minutes ago, wildcard said:

You don't like good power relievers?

He'll be heading into his age 32 season when he hits free agency, and probably breaking down by that point or soon after.  

He should be traded while his value is still high. 

2 minutes ago, DirtyBird said:

Chris Davis will have $110 million left on his contract. Do you think he would take a $60 million lump sum that we could pay with our payroll savings?

No, Why should he?   Besides Boras is his agent.  He will get all his money.

2 minutes ago, ArtVanDelay said:

He'll be heading into his age 32 season when he hits free agency, and probably breaking down by that point or soon after.  

He should be traded while his value is still high. 

I see your point and its a good one.

2 minutes ago, wildcard said:

No, Why should he?   Besides Boras is his agent.  He will get all his money.

Because his deferred money is thru 2037, and if you get a 5% annual return for 19 years, a present $60 million is worth $151 million in 19 years.

1 minute ago, DirtyBird said:

Because his deferred money is thru 2037, and if you get a 5% annual return for 19 years, a present $60 million is worth $151 million in 19 years.

But, but, that's GAMBLING! And we all know Gambling is illegal at Bushwood sir, and I NEVER SLICE! 

6 minutes ago, DirtyBird said:

After this year Davis will get 68m over the next 4 years plus 42m deferred.  He is not giving that up for 60m.

Archived