Orioles Deal Gausman/O'Day to Braves - Schoop to Brewers

weams

1 minute ago, baltfan said:

Me from the day he was drafted. 

Said we should have taken Almora or Akin (but I didn’t have his medicals LOL)

Fastball was always super straight, not enough movement, not enough command.  2 pitch pitcher, none of which were outstanding.  Dude could throw hard but whatever.

1 hour ago, wildbillhiccup said:

That's fine. I just think it's naive to think that they just included him for free. Honestly I'm more bummed about the Gausman deal because he was rumored to have other suitors (at the time) like the Pirates. That one really seems like a wasted trade chip to me. 

Kinda like all the rumored suitors we had for Givens a couple weeks ago.

1 hour ago, Moose Milligan said:

Fastball was always super straight, not enough movement, not enough command.  2 pitch pitcher, none of which were outstanding.  Dude could throw hard but whatever.

All true yet he still has a much higher career WAR than the six players selected directly after him (Zimmer, Almora, Fried, Appel, Heaney, and Dahl). Gausman was a good pick in a very weak draft. 

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, wildbillhiccup said:

We might have gotten more if we hadn't ask for Villar in return...

How do you know we are the ones who asked for Villar?   Seems more likely the Brewers offered him because they wanted to make space for Schoop.  Bad call on their part.  

59 minutes ago, TINSTAAPP said:

All true yet he still has a much higher career WAR than the six players selected directly after him (Zimmer, Almora, Fried, Appel, Heaney, and Dahl). Gausman was a good pick in a very weak draft. 

Remember, Almora, Fried and Dahl were all high schoolers.    They’ve all got time to catch up to Gausman.  

11 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Remember, Almora, Fried and Dahl were all high schoolers.    They’ve all got time to catch up to Gausman.  

They could finish with a higher career WAR and I would say Gausman was still the right pick. Gausman played an important role in the Orioles making two playoff appearances. The Orioles also wouldn't have beaten Detroit in Game 2 of the ALDS without Gausman and might not have won that series without that win. Almora, Dahl, and Fried would have been wasted on bad Orioles teams and aren't guys that move the needle. By the time the O's are ready to win, those guys would be ready to walk. 

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Of those 3, Fried's the only one that's got a serious shot at catching Gausman IMO.  Almora and Dahl would have to explode.

2 minutes ago, TINSTAAPP said:

They could finish with a higher career WAR and I would say Gausman was still the right pick. Gausman played an important role in the Orioles making two playoff appearances. The Orioles also wouldn't have beaten Detroit in Game 2 of the ALDS without Gausman and might not have won that series without that win. Almora, Dahl, and Fried would have been wasted on bad Orioles teams and aren't guys that move the needle. By the time the O's are ready to win, those guys would be ready to walk. 

I’m not really arguing about whether Gausman was the right pick.    Just making a general point that 7 years after a draft, you’d expect a college guy to have accrued more WAR than a high school guy.    

Generally, though, I believe in drafting the BPA regardless of HS or college.    

5 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

Lord almighty, can we put this myth to bed? Gausman always had very good movement on his fastball but he just grooved it too much in the middle of the plate.

Horizontal movement vs AVG
2015 - 1.6
2016 - 3.5
2017 - 6.0
2018 - 4.0
2019 - 3.7

Since 2016, his fastball hasn't averaged less than three 3.5 inches more than an average major league fastball.

Moose I'm going to pick on your because you should know better then passing on bad info. Remember, always check Baseball Savant if you want to check your memory.

https://baseballsavant.mlb.com/savant-player/kevin-gausman-592332?stats=statcast-r-pitching-mlb

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

Wah wah wah, wah wah wah, wah wah waaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh salary relief prospects salary relief waahhhhhhhhh

Does anyone really miss Gausman?  At any time this season have any one of you been like "Damn, I wish we still had Gausman."

I know I haven't.  Even with Eshelman, Woj, etc.  

I really want to pile on Gausman, but most of that is just because people killed the trade because somehow Gausman was going to bring back a haul from the Pirates and we turned it down. I think it’s safe to say, that deal wasn’t on the table. 

I respect what Cincinnati has done recently. They know they aren’t some hot ticket for FAs, so they went out and got Bauer and Gausman. I like it when teams take reasonable chances to actually compete. Recent example... the Mets. 

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

Lord almighty, can we put this myth to bed? Gausman always had very good movement on his fastball but he just grooved it too much in the middle of the plate.

Horizontal movement vs AVG
2015 - 1.6
2016 - 3.5
2017 - 6.0
2018 - 4.0
2019 - 3.7

Since 2016, his fastball hasn't averaged less than three 3.5 inches more than an average major league fastball.

Moose I'm going to pick on your because you should know better then passing on bad info. Remember, always check Baseball Savant if you want to check your memory.

https://baseballsavant.mlb.com/savant-player/kevin-gausman-592332?stats=statcast-r-pitching-mlb

Tut tut!  

Is this the part where I get on my old man porch and say "BUT THE FASTBALL LOOKED STRAIGHT I SAW IT WITH MY OWN EYES!"

:) 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

Watching the Reds @ Nats game right now.  MASN crew says upon KG entering the game, "How many teams are we going to see Kevin Gausman on this season?!?!? We saw him with Atlanta, now Cincinnati."  Kind of a weird comment. He faced the Nats on the team he started the season with, and now he's playing on the team that claimed him from waivers.  Not really that wild.

17 minutes ago, BohKnowsBmore said:

Watching the Reds @ Nats game right now.  MASN crew says upon KG entering the game, "How many teams are we going to see Kevin Gausman on this season?!?!? We saw him with Atlanta, now Cincinnati."  Kind of a weird comment. He faced the Nats on the team he started the season with, and now he's playing on the team that claimed him from waivers.  Not really that wild.

This is coming from the MASN crew of a team that has had Edwin Jackson....

3 hours ago, BohKnowsBmore said:

My theory is that KG's foot is still sore and when that clears up he'll be back to his old self - which doesn't necessarily translate to servicable major league starter, but I think he's better than what he's shown recently.

On 8/6/2019 at 8:15 AM, Moose Milligan said:

Tut tut!  

Is this the part where I get on my old man porch and say "BUT THE FASTBALL LOOKED STRAIGHT I SAW IT WITH MY OWN EYES!"

:) 

The thing you were right about was that he was a 2 pitch pitcher.  That's why I was surprised that Atlanta didn't try him in the bullpen - especially when they had so little in the pen - before they traded for 3 relievers near the trade deadline.