2018 Firesale Much Better than 2000

TonySoprano

Gone (so far) Manny, Britton, Brach, Gausman...

Syd made 6 trades in the last 4 days of July 2000

July 28, 2000

Traded Mike Bordick to the New York Mets. Received Pat Gorman (minors), Leslie Brea, Mike Kinkade and Melvin Mora.

July 29, 2000

Traded Harold Baines and Charles Johnson to the Chicago White Sox. Received Miguel Felix (minors), Juan Figueroa (minors), Jason Lakman (minors) and Brook Fordyce.

Traded Mike Timlin and cash to the St. Louis Cardinals. Received Mark Nussbeck (minors) and Chris Richard.

July 31, 2000

Traded Will Clark and cash to the St. Louis Cardinals. Received Jose Leon.

Traded Juan Aracena (minors) to the New York Mets. Received Anthony Shumaker.

Traded Gabe Molina and B.J. Surhoff to the Atlanta Braves. Received Trent Hubbard, Fernando Lunar and Luis Rivera.

Those trades were all duds from the start. 

We got lucky with Mora.  A 28/29 year old utility player with no prospect pedigree turning into a star player in his early 30's.  

I have 100 times more faith in DD than I did in Ol Syd. 

It really can't be overemphasized how bad those trades actually were.  The right decision at the time because the Orioles were going nowhere, but executed so horrendously it's painful to even read.  The best thing they got back was Melvin Mora, who wasn't even expected to be that much of an impact.  In fact, I wouldn't be shocked if he was acquired because Sid Thrift saw he had postseason experience and a great NLCS the year before and thought that'll help this ball club.  The best thing they were supposed to get back was Luis Rivera, who was a spectacular bust.  

Nobody has any idea how these trades are going to work out.  But, at the very least, the process of getting to this point and the overall execution, in my opinion, is drastically different and for the better.  Just getting Diaz alone was more on paper than anything, anything, that was pulled in from 2000.

3 minutes ago, ShaneDawg85 said:

It really can't be overemphasized how bad those trades actually were.  The right decision at the time because the Orioles were going nowhere, but executed so horrendously it's painful to even read.  The best thing they got back was Melvin Mora, who wasn't even expected to be that much of an impact.  In fact, I wouldn't be shocked if he was acquired because Sid Thrift saw he had postseason experience and a great NLCS the year before and thought that'll help this ball club.  The best thing they were supposed to get back was Luis Rivera, who was a spectacular bust.  

Nobody has any idea how these trades are going to work out.  But, at the very least, the process of getting to this point and the overall execution, in my opinion, is drastically different and for the better.  Just getting Diaz alone was more on paper than anything, anything, that was pulled in from 2000.

Ridiculous to say 2000 trades were worse than 2018 fire sale.  2000 Trades involved guys who were old and careers were almost over.  Baines was 41 for god's sake.   Bordick was 35, Will Clark was 36  BJ Surhoff was 36.  Gausman, Schoop, Britton , and Machado are all in the prime of their careers.  And to imagine we got Melvin Mora for Bordick was a complete steal on the Orioles part.   

21 minutes ago, atomic said:

Ridiculous to say 2000 trades were worse than 2018 fire sale.  2000 Trades involved guys who were old and careers were almost over.  Baines was 41 for god's sake.   Bordick was 35, Will Clark was 36  BJ Surhoff was 36.  Gausman, Schoop, Britton , and Machado are all in the prime of their careers.  And to imagine we got Melvin Mora for Bordick was a complete steal on the Orioles part.   

You're actually going to sit here and defend those 2000 deals?  I know you're delusional right now on the DD hate and thinking we got fleeced based on unfounded paranoia, but calm it down a bit.  There's no defending the trades that were made back then, at all.  Harold Baines was a throw in to the bigger Charles Johnson trade, who was 27 years old and in his prime, that accomplished nothing.  BJ Surhoff was a year removed from the All Star game, Mike Bordick was an All Star that season, Will Clark could still hit at his age.  The point stands, when the best you got out of all those guys was Melvin Mora, who at the time was little more than a bit player who by some miracle became good, you failed.  Lets not even overlook the fact it was those trades, Surhoff in part, that contributed to pissing of Mussina enough to walk away during the offseason.  No matter what perspective you choose to use, the 2000 trades were worse, by far, and any attempt to defend them is purely laughable.

3 minutes ago, ShaneDawg85 said:

You're actually going to sit here and defend those 2000 deals?  I know you're delusional right now on the DD hate and thinking we got fleeced based on unfounded paranoia, but calm it down a bit.  There's no defending the trades that were made back then, at all.  Harold Baines was a throw in to the bigger Charles Johnson trade, who was 27 years old and in his prime, that accomplished nothing.  BJ Surhoff was a year removed from the All Star game, Mike Bordick was an All Star that season, Will Clark could still hit at his age.  The point stands, when the best you got out of all those guys was Melvin Mora, who at the time was little more than a bit player who by some miracle became good, you failed.  Lets not even overlook the fact it was those trades, Surhoff in part, that contributed to pissing of Mussina enough to walk away during the offseason.  No matter what perspective you choose to use, the 2000 trades were worse, by far, and any attempt to defend them is purely laughable.

Bunch of old guys that were out of baseball in a couple of years. You want to compare that to Gausman who is in his prime and has 2 1/2 years of control?  Come on you are better than that. 

3 minutes ago, atomic said:

Bunch of old guys that were out of baseball in a couple of years. You want to compare that to Gausman who is in his prime and has 2 1/2 years of control?  Come on you are better than that. 

Way to ignore my statement about Charles Johnson, who for the sake of your argument is the Gausman in this situation minus control.  How about letting the process actually play out and seeing if these guys actually become anything?  Because clearly based on your repeated tired diatribe of the last 24 hours you're incapable of that.  Because right now you and I know as much as the supposed experts about what will happen, nothing.  

Archived