Bruce Zimmermann Shocking Everyone

weams

https://walkoffwalk.net/2018/05/19/bruce-zimmermann-shocking-everyone/

When the Atlanta Braves picked Bruce Zimmermann last June with their fifth-round choice, the rationale was simple. The organization has had luck with small-college arms with impressive numbers. The bigger takeaway, however, was that Zimmermann was a senior sign. A senior sign is almost a rarity in today’s age. It refers to a guy who has exhausted his amateur status and has no leverage to go back to school rather than sign. Because Zimmermann had spent four years split between Towson and Mount Olive, he had no choice but to sign if he wanted to keep playing baseball.

Because of that, he received just $10,000 in a signing bonus. No other fifth-rounder received less than $200,000 and one, Sam McMillan, signed for a million. Most teams were close to their slot value. But not the Braves. Zimmermann’s value was that he would sign and sign for cheap, allowing Atlanta the opportunity to invest the money saved on slot value elsewhere. Former General Manager John Coppolella loved to manipulate the slot values almost as much as he loved to funnel money to international free agents.

Funny thing, though. Zimmermann is pitching like a guy who deserved not only a high-value pick but a higher choice than was used on him.

In seven starts this year for Rome, Zimmermann had a 2.82 ERA, 2.45 FIP, and 2.63 xFIP. He has struck out 31% of opposing batters while walking just 4.6%. Or to put that in more raw totals, in 38.1 innings, Zimmermann has walked just seven batters. He’s struck out 48. The Mount Olive product has been nearly dynamite all season outside of being crushed for nine runs, seven earned, in four innings back on April 12. He’s allowed seven runs, five earned, since that start with a 1.24 ERA. In three of his last four outings, he’s struck out at least nine batters.

https://2080baseball.com/draft-prospect-video/bruce-zimmerman/

I hope he turns out to be a piece of the future, but he is old for the Sally League (4 yrs older than DL Hall).  Hopefully he has a good start in Frederick and ends up in Bowie next summer.  I guess the hope is that between Rodgers, Means, and Zimmermann...one can be a 5th starter??

Just now, kramer_ said:

I hope he turns out to be a piece of the future, but he is old for the Sally League (4 yrs older than DL Hall).  Hopefully he has a good start in Frederick and ends up in Bowie next summer.  I guess the hope is that between Rodgers, Means, and Zimmermann...one can be a 5th starter??

Bruce Zimmerman is 23 and in AA already. Threw close to 30 innings for the braves' AA affiliate, he is now in Bowie.

4 minutes ago, Thato'sfan said:

Bruce Zimmerman is 23 and in AA already. Threw close to 30 innings for the braves' AA affiliate, he is now in Bowie.

Sorry about that, he looks to be adjusting to AA with 19bb in 28 innings after skipping high A.  

Yeah...he still is giving up less than a hit per inning which is great. He also has a solid strikeout rate and a good frame from the left. Not sure if true, but I read he saw a bump in velo, making him have a higher ceiling than Means/Rogers.

Archived