Buck Referring to Orioles as “They”

Rene88

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Quote from Roch before tonight game ? Does not sound like a guy who does not expect to be back?

“It’s got to be done,” Showalter said. “We knew it. And I don’t think anybody’s going to apologize for going for it this year. And we saw it wasn’t going to be there and we had to move in a different direction. You’ve got to know who you are and who you’re not and know how you’ve got to do it and have a plan and an attack because you want to move forward, and we are. We’re a better, deeper organization today and we’ll see.

Showalter said he’s looking forward to managing this next version of the Orioles.

“Oh, without a doubt,” he said. “It’s going to be fun. It’s going to be a lot of fun. I’ve done it before.”

1 minute ago, brooksfrankjim said:

We were 69-66 and fell off the cliff.  Hitting stopped, pitching stopped, defense stopped.  

The timing was odd. I think they knew after being swept in Cleveland they were done. Similar to how they reacted after this years slow start.  

19 minutes ago, SteveA said:

So the headline to the thread talks about him saying "they".   But in this one quote he says "we" 5 times.   Something doesn't compute.

Yeah this thread is beating on a straw man

Buck had a great run with us. He was a huge factor in 2012 and that got everything started. I do think he got overly attached to "his guys" and bears some responsibility for the downfall. He seems burnt out now (can't blame him). I wish him the best but at this point in his career I don't think he is a good fit for leading the rebuild.

1 hour ago, SteveA said:

So the headline to the thread talks about him saying "they".   But in this one quote he says "we" 5 times.   Something doesn't compute.

First question Roch asked. I am not making it up, there isn’t some conspiracy...my goodness, lol, rolls eyes.

Also, if its from the article written and posted on MASN.com, I don't see any place where Buck refers to the Orioles as "They"? I read where he refers to Brian Graham and the Minor League group having work cut out for them.

Buck Showalter: “I know (director of player development) Brian Graham and them gave got a lot of shuffling to do down there and there will be a lot of good players added to the system.”

10 minutes ago, cnmilton said:

I think Buck was referring to Dan and Dans people making the trades. Sounds like Buck knew the trades were a possibility, but wasn't part of the process of the trades, thereby referring to "they".

This could be but it sounded like he was far removed from any decisions so a little of both perhaps.

My read on it: 

I think that Dan has been firmly established by the Angelos sons as the person making the personnel decisions at least through the end of the year. This year, in Bucks press conferences, he defers all questions about player movement to needing to be addressed directly to Dan. Before this year, Buck would answer the questions a lot more directly.

I could, obviously, be wrong and have a false assumption.

4 hours ago, Rene88 said:

During the pre-game with Roch, really jumped out at me! Does he finish the season(my guess is yes)?

Tom Davis just said just now on the 105.7 Wall to Wall Baseball show that last week, Buck came to him privately and said “*They* are thinking about trading Schoop.” And Tom found the use of the word “they” interesting. 

Archived