Seeing this type of comment from O's fans alot tonight on internet.

HOF19

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, Frobby said:

32-75, and they’re worried that we didn’t keep the team together?

Yes, attendance will take a beating the next couple of years.    It would have either way.    

I am not concerned that they traded players but they got robbed in every deal except the Machado deal.  Gausman was particually one-sided.  I am guessing the Braves management has been celebrating all night with the deal they pulled over on the Orioles. 

5 minutes ago, Grt 2BA FL Gator said:

Really? I mean, I hated the Gausman trade in a lot of ways. But you gotta say that we did well with the Britton, Schoop, and Manny deals. I was super disappointed that we didn't get any mega prospects back yesterday, but he basically won 3 trades out of 4 this July. And the 4th may yet have it's strategic purpose. 

The Schoop and Gausman deals were all about saving money and not the prospects we got back.  We didn't have to trade them now but we rushed them through to save money plain and simple. 

1 minute ago, atomic said:

The Schoop and Gausman deals were all about saving money and not the prospects we got back.  We didn't have to trade them now but we rushed them through to save money plain and simple. 

The Schoop deal has value. I like him, but he's actually only had one full, good season and he started out horribly this year. He also didn't have too much time to rebuild his value and he doesn't have the star power Manny does to get the type of haul Manny did as a rental. 

8 hours ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Let's give Chris Davis that seven year contract!

Finally the organization appears to be adopting the ways of other winning teams. 

Probably a little early for this statement, but as least it's no longer business as usual for the Orioles.

I miss the days when uneducated people didn't have a medium as accessible as the internet to voice their stupidity. 20+ years ago I could just not listen to sports talk radio, but now it's impossible to avoid. BTW, sports talk radio is still going strong. I caught five minutes of the Scott Garceau show yesterday and someone called in wanting to talk about "Goozman". 

11 minutes ago, atomic said:

Please explain to me how the Schoop deal was about saving money? It was about trading a player that had no future with team and extracting as much value as possible by trading him before he becomes only a one year rental. Keith Law said Ortiz was the second best prospect we got behind Diaz. Schoop is not that good. His defensive skills have regressed every year to the point that he's barely MLB average there. I know people have become attached to these guys but neither Schoop or Gausman are great major leaguers. What he got for rentals of Britton and Machado was amazing and don't forget it would have been more if PA would have let him trade Britton last year.

Just now, wildbillhiccup said:

I miss the days when uneducated people didn't have a medium as accessible as the internet to voice their stupidity. 20+ years ago I could just not listen to sports talk radio, but now it's impossible to avoid. BTW, sports talk radio is still going strong. I caught five minutes of the Scott Garceau show yesterday and someone called in wanting to talk about "Goozman". 

HOw is it impossible to avoid?  Just don't go on the Internet discussion sites if you can't bear to hear anyone with an opinion different than your own.  I mean my god that is why we have "News channels" like Fox News and MSNBC because people are so upset to hear someone who has an opinion different than their own.  And BTW I have two Bachelor's degrees and a Master's degree. 

32 minutes ago, atomic said:

They traded their best players and got one decent prospect in return.  I don't know why anyone would pay to watch them at this point.  They wouldn't have a winning record in AAA.  DD did a terrible job with the trades.  I hope he doesn't come back and he never gets a job in baseball again. 

If he is that terrible at his job, wouldn't we want him to get a job with a different team?  That way he could spread his atrociousness to another franchise.

1 minute ago, LTO's said:

Please explain to me how the Schoop deal was about saving money? It was about trading a player that had no future with team and extracting as much value as possible by trading him before he becomes only a one year rental. Keith Law said Ortiz was the second best prospect we got behind Diaz. Schoop is not that good. His defensive skills have regressed every year to the point that he's barely MLB average there. I know people have become attached to these guys but neither Schoop or Gausman are great major leaguers. What he got for rentals of Britton and Machado was amazing and don't forget it would have been more if PA would have let him trade Britton last year.

Don't believe that trading them earlier would have gotten more as we got nothing for Gausman and he has 2 1/3 years left.  Schoop was making over 8 million dollars this year.  Maybe they saved 3 million dollars.  He has 11.2 career WAR and  is only 26 and was injured earlier in the season.  His defensive WAR seems consistent with his career numbers. 

1 minute ago, atomic said:

HOw is it impossible to avoid?  Just don't go on the Internet discussion sites if you can't bear to hear anyone with an opinion different than your own.  I mean my god that is why we have "News channels" like Fox News and MSNBC because people are so upset to hear someone who has an opinion different than their own.  And BTW I have two Bachelor's degrees and a Master's degree. 

I don't mind varying opinions, but I do mind uneducated ones. It's like if a heart surgeon posted something and I criticized his technique. Everyone thinks they're experts just because they stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night. 

And yeah, the internet is impossible to avoid. It's where the news breaks. In particular Twitter. It's a necessary evil.

3 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

I don't mind varying opinions, but I do mind uneducated ones. It's like if a heart surgeon posted something and I criticized his technique. Everyone thinks they're experts just because they stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night. 

And yeah, the internet is impossible to avoid. It's where the news breaks. In particular Twitter. It's a necessary evil.

I dont' go on twitter other than at trade deadlines.    If only the people who were educated in baseball management posted their opinions on the internet this site wouldn't exist. 

I think it is going to be very interesting to see what contracts Machado and Harper get this offseason.  There are far too many examples of players degrading performance after age 30-32 that I think we are going to see more and more teams willing to extend controllable assets until that age and forego spending on players 32+ unless it is a one year deal.

9 hours ago, Frobby said:

32-75, and they’re worried that we didn’t keep the team together?

Yes, attendance will take a beating the next couple of years.    It would have either way.    

I for one will be slightly more likely to hit games now. Nothing LESS interesting to me than a team with poor defense, multiple retreads at key positions, and playing uninspired, sloppy baseball. 

If they put a team with spectacular defense out there, couple that with some pitching (we still have some potential in our starting rotation)... and the chance to play spoiler to the Yankees in the next year or two... sign me up. 

48 minutes ago, atomic said:

Don't believe that trading them earlier would have gotten more as we got nothing for Gausman and he has 2 1/3 years left.  Schoop was making over 8 million dollars this year.  Maybe they saved 3 million dollars.  He has 11.2 career WAR and  is only 26 and was injured earlier in the season.  His defensive WAR seems consistent with his career numbers. 

8.3 FWAR with half of that coming last year. There is 0 reason to believe last year was anything other than a fluke. His plate discipline that was drastically improved last year has completely regressed. He has .273 OBP. Even during this hot streak, his OBP is lower than his AVG. I really don't agree that his defensive WAR this year is consistent with career numbers. Even if it were, it's not like those are good numbers anyway. 

Archived