Claim Party

Camden_yardbird

Now that the Orioles have cleared out their roster it's time to start claiming players.  Step 2 of the rebuild is now they have opened up roster spots and playing time it's time to start build value out of the Nate McLouths of the world.  Find the next Carlos Pena.  You got 3 years before the big league rostet matters much.

I would start with Brad Miller.

I know what you are going to say.  No defense.  Some power.  Too many K's.  More of the same.

But the fact is he has put up serious numbers before and could be of value, that he may be the best in limbo player out there following the deadline.

23 minutes ago, Camden_yardbird said:

Now that the Orioles have cleared out their roster it's time to start claiming players.  Step 2 of the rebuild is now they have opened up roster spots and playing time it's time to start build value out of the Nate McLouths of the world.  Find the next Carlos Pena.  You got 3 years before the big league rostet matters much.

I know what you are going to say.  No defense.  Some power.  Too many K's.  More of the same.

But the fact is he has put up serious numbers before and could be of value, that he may be the best in limbo player out there following the deadline.

I like Brad Miller, I think he has played everywhere in the inf and some of.

I think he is a couple steps ahead of Jace Peterson.

57 minutes ago, Camden_yardbird said:

Ariel Hernandez of the Dodgers .....good minor league numbers including 2.52 this year with a 3.2 in the PCL. Only had one shot at the majors in 2017 with the Reds in 2017 24 innings 5 ERa. Just 25 years old

IMO, the priorities for the FO are as follows:

- build out international scouting infrastructure as rapidly as possible

- since teams were ponying up prospects for non-closer relievers, I would bring as many flame-throwers into camp as possible and put the best ones in our major league bullpen.  Cast a wide net.

- bring in as many former organizational top 30 and former national top 100 guys as possible to training camp - a la AM style.  Trade for blocked prospects.  Any failed or former prospect who is under 28 who has any chance to make our organization or AAA depth is a candidate.  Cast a wide net.

One doesn't need to find the "next Carlos Pena" - the bar is lower than that.  Find the next plus bullpen arm, but if you find the next Carlos Villanueva, great.  Find anything of value that can be dealt for more value.

1 hour ago, Camden_yardbird said:

Adeiny Hechavarria?? Good enough glove to justify the below ave bat??

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2018/08/rays-designate-adeiny-hechavarria.html

48 minutes ago, hoosiers said:

- since teams were ponying up prospects for non-closer relievers, I would bring as many flame-throwers into camp as possible and put the best ones in our major league bullpen.  Cast a wide net.

- bring in as many former organizational top 30 and former national top 100 guys as possible to training camp - a la AM style.  Trade for blocked prospects.  Any failed or former prospect who is under 28 who has any chance to make our organization or AAA depth is a candidate.  Cast a wide net.

One doesn't need to find the "next Carlos Pena" - the bar is lower than that.  Find the next plus bullpen arm, but if you find the next Carlos Villanueva, great.  Find anything of value that can be dealt for more value.

I believe someone recently wrote an article but I have been saying for years that a clear strength of the Orioles is the ability to develop back end bullpen pitchers.  That is definitely a way to bring in prospects.

2 minutes ago, Camden_yardbird said:

I believe the Orioles have previously shown interest.  Dude is a vacuum.

Just now, Lucky_13 said:

Yes we need some improved defense if they are going to audition some young pitchers. 

Yeah, but now the link is updated to say he's owed what's left of 5.9 mil and is a free agent next year. Oh well. 

2 hours ago, Camden_yardbird said:

They will spend no money or no 40 man roster spot on any players not related to the rebuild. I can see them buying and selling. Gambling on upside to trade. But no one that they work on the margins now will be a part of the next Orioles team that succeeds. 

51 minutes ago, hoosiers said:

This. Yes. 

The Orioles should place Adam Jones and Mark Trumbo on waivers.  And when every team in baseball puts claims in for both of them, they should demand the top 5 prospects in baseball for both of them.  Settling for anything less is mal practice.

Overboard? 

Sorry.  Seriously...Hoosiers post above about priorities is good.  Cast a wide net!!

Archived