Rays Designate Adeiny Hechavarria

PapaRick

I guess the next question is to see if we can accept the drop off on the offensive side of the ball.

Beckham has a .614 OPS this year.

Is everyone comfortable getting rid of him for Hechavarria hitting .621?

I guess if they are that close than it seems like a waste of time unless we are confident the defensive upgrade is significant.

17 minutes ago, Aglets said:

I guess the next question is to see if we can accept the drop off on the offensive side of the ball.

Beckham has a .614 OPS this year.

Is everyone comfortable getting rid of him for Hechavarria hitting .621?

I guess if they are that close than it seems like a waste of time unless we are confident the defensive upgrade is significant.

Hech career 2.7 UZR/150, 72 wRC+; Beck 1.6, 96 wRC+

And I guess there's also the argument that we're already paying the remainder of Beckham's salary   (roughtly another $1M or so),  so is it really worth eating that and picking up Hech when he's actually making more money the rest of the year.....?   His remainder would be closer to $2M.

Probably a waste of resources actually for a terrible team going nowhere.

This would be a very short sighted move. Let Beckham play and potentially build his trade value. We saw what he is capable of last year so if he starts everyday at SS and his bat returns and glove gets better you have a chip to trade.

My thoughts in posting this would be that:

1. We would either pick him after his release or make a deal with the Rays to limit the cost for the rest of this year.

2.  As many have observed our left side defense has been atrocious.  Beckham is better at 3d than short and Nunez is not an ML quality infielder period.

3. If we really want to see what we have on our pitching staff, it would be more informative to put an ML quality infield behind them.  Beckham at 3d, Davis at 1st, Villar at 2nd with Hechavarria at SS is at least a decent infield.  Hechavarria is a better SS than any current internal option and despite his pathetic offense this year, he's sadly been better than most of our current lineup.

4.  I think that would be more worthwhile than letting Beckham play short because he might recapture his career month from last year and become a trade chip.  I think this is a long shot.

Archived