Tillman to Texas

Yardball85

1 hour ago, Redskins Rick said:

I suspect more try to keep playing, instead of walking away.

Its a mental thing with them, its all they know how to do, is to play ball, they don't plan for what they want to do with life after playing days is over.

You cant expect an agent who wants to keep money coming in, to be square with the dude, and they learn early on, not to trust the front office.

Baseball players make a lot of money...even the lowest paid player is making more than most people do. In Tillmans mind he probably thinks if he can go off name recognition alone and somehow prove useful to a club somewhere he can add another couple of million to his bank account before all is said and done.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, oriole said:

Baseball players make a lot of money...even the lowest paid player is making more than most people do. In Tillmans mind he probably thinks if he can go off name recognition alone and somehow prove useful to a club somewhere he can add another couple of million to his bank account before all is said and done.

Palmer thought he could come back at 46, and that didnt fare too well.

Ive heard many ex-players talk on the radio/TV and still being able to play the game. I dont put too much stock into it, they just got move on.

I heard an ex-Redskin talk one time, about how he was handling retirement life. He said great, he managed his money, and now he plays the links, travels and plays with his grandkids, life is good, of course, this is not the norm.

58 minutes ago, oriole said:

He also probably enjoys playing baseball and wants to play it as long as he can. I think that can be said about anybody who has a passion for something.

Strange "miracles" can happen though. Look at Rich Hill. For guys in Tillman's situation, its probably clear to him that he'll never dominate for a whole season, but I'll bet he's extremely motivated by the thought of getting a spot start somewhere and dominating it. Nothing wrong with that. Didn't Disney make a movie about some old guy throwing a perfect game? 

1 hour ago, theocean said:

He also probably enjoys playing baseball and wants to play it as long as he can. I think that can be said about anybody who has a passion for something.

Yea, I'm not trying to say Tillman is just greedy. Not at all. I think Tillman is probably painfully aware of his lack of performance but if he can squeeze out another couple million then that's more than he'll make in whatever post-baseball employment he chooses to do. Of course it could be for love of the game and I'm not doubting he loves the game...but he stinks and he can't be so disconnected from reality to realize he doesn't stink. I think the love of money constitutes a large portion of the notion "love of the game". How many of these players would still be doing this if they were making the national average salary?

6 minutes ago, weams said:

What is the average national salary?

According to google the median household income in this country is about $52K.   The average (mean) seems to be a bit above $70K, which is skewed by the very wealthy.

1 hour ago, oriole said:

Yea, I'm not trying to say Tillman is just greedy. Not at all. I think Tillman is probably painfully aware of his lack of performance but if he can squeeze out another couple million then that's more than he'll make in whatever post-baseball employment he chooses to do. Of course it could be for love of the game and I'm not doubting he loves the game...but he stinks and he can't be so disconnected from reality to realize he doesn't stink. I think the love of money constitutes a large portion of the notion "love of the game". How many of these players would still be doing this if they were making the national average salary?

Hmm players might still love the game. But hard to convince the wife and family that all that travel is worth it if you are making 52k doing it.  Easier when you can say I need a few more million for the kids college education. 

58 minutes ago, Aglets said:

According to google the median household income in this country is about $52K.   The average (mean) seems to be a bit above $70K, which is skewed by the very wealthy.

I wonder if that figure includes households that aren’t in the workforce (e,g., retired people).

21 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I wonder if that figure includes households that aren’t in the workforce (e,g., retired people).

I hate the disparity with income.

70K our way doesn't do much for you.

Yet, 70K, in some places in Ky, WV, Oklahoma, you can live pretty darn well.

1 minute ago, Redskins Rick said:

I hate the disparity with income.

70K our way doesn't do much for you.

Yet, 70K, in some places in Ky, WV, Oklahoma, you can live pretty darn well.

Yeah, that’s why an average income stat can’t tell you that much.   Kind of like comparing ERA’s at Coors Field and AT&T Park.    We need an Income+ stat!

16 minutes ago, El Gordo said:

The U.S Bureau of the Census has the annual real median personal income at $31,099 in 2016. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Personal_income_in_the_United_States

Just to put things in perspective: 

According to statistical data from the Internal Revenue Service (IRS), the top 1% had an adjusted gross income of $465,626 or higher for the 2014 tax year. The Washington Center for Equitable Growth put the average household income for this group at $1,260,508 for 2014.Sep 15, 2016

So the MLB minimum puts you in the top 1%

6 minutes ago, El Gordo said:

So the MLB minimum puts you in the top 1%

Just saying, that was pretty obvious. For every 100 jobs out there, I can't think of many that are more lucrative the professional athlete. 

Archived