An Early Look at the 2019 Draft

Greg Pappas

1 Adley Rutschman, C, Oregon State 

He is at the top of most boards for a reason—he’s a do it all catcher and the best catching prospect since Posey. There is no hole in his game, just the concern that goes with the high-risk rate of catchers in general. 

2 Andrew Vaughan, 1B, University of California 

There are so many reasons people will ding Vaughn, but all he does is crush baseballs. He is the type of guy the Astros pray falls to them or would consider taking one or two. 

3 Bobby Witt Jr, SS, Colleyville Heritage HS (TX)

He is an up the middle talent with bloodlines who might have been overhyped. We have yet to see the top prep bat carry through and stay the top prep bat during their senior year. 

4 Graeme Stinson, LHP, Duke

The record for Duke players is awful, but Stinson looks right now to be the best pitching prospect since Mike Matuella. Stinson has been a reliever in college but has a chance to prove himself as a starter and fly up boards. 

5 Bryston Stott, SS, UNLV 

Stott has seen his value creep up all summer. He has two strong years of performance and then carried it over during the summer. He might not have a single plus skill, but grades average to above average across the board. 

6 Corbin Carroll, OF, Lakeside (WA)

Carroll is undersized, but that is the only negative you can put on him. He has excelled in All-Star games and his physical numbers are some of the best in this class. He’s a clear five-tool player. 

7 CJ Abrams, SS, Blessed Trinity HS (GA) 

If you want an up the middle athlete early, then Abrams is your guy. There is some Royce Lewis here. 

8 Kameron Misner, 1B/OF, Missouri 

Misner stood out when I saw him the last two years at Missouri. He has shown improvement every year and indicators show a player on the way up. 

9 Riley Greene, OF, Hagerty HS (FL)

He is likely to be compared to Kyle Tucker, another former Florida prep outfielder with a sweet swing and plus hit and power potential. He is a bit undersized and has some questions about his position that could push him down, boards. 

10 Carter Stewart, RHP, Eastern Florida State 

He was around here in last year’s class. There will be concerns about why the Braves did not sign him. The potential is still there as a spin rate darling with a potential plus fastball and curve.

—————————

Good article on Rutschman 

https://www.thegoodphight.com/2019/1/8/18173209/2019-phillies-mlb-draft-preview-adley-rutschman-c

—————————

• Replies 406
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 1/3/2019 at 5:16 AM, sportsfan8703 said:

Metal bat is huge. Beer league softball players can hit 400 ft ones.  

On another note, the draft would be so much more fun to follow if teams could trade picks. 

Softball players use a vastly different bat, most of those are doctored to some extent. A HS regulation BBCOR bat is not a hot bat at all. Most good HS hitters can hit a ball further with a quality wood bat than a BBCOR. Summer showcases, at least most of the big ones that Pefect Game and such do, use wood bats almost exclusively. I’d like to see kids go back to wood bats full time when they turn 12 and go to the bigger field. 

As far as trading picks, I like the idea as well. But, now that they can trade the player immediately after the draft, not a big deal. 

5 minutes ago, waroriole said:

College catcher seems like the obvious pick. Can we get him under slot? Would be nice to have some money to spread around for guys that have fallen due to bonus demand. 

Has a #1 pick under the slotting system even not been an underslot sign? (If they signed)

• 2 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Gotta trust Elias on this one.  I feel better having him at the helm with the #1 pick.  If he doesn't go with Rutschman, well, I am sure he'll have his reasons.  

Agreed.  Elias will make the right call. Keith has his opinion, but Rut looks like a legit #1 to me.

Just now, Greg Pappas said:

Agreed.  Elias will make the right call. Keith has his opinion, but Rut looks like a legit #1 to me.

Looks like a stud to me, too.

A lot of baseball to be played between now and then, though.  Rutschman could fall, someone else could rise up and take that consensus #1 spot.  

The question is, do you want Wieters or Dee Gordon?

I really only care as long as the Os pick correct on this one. There isn’t a clear stud at this point. But if I had to pick someone right now. I’m picking CJ Abrams. Still. Especially if I could sign him $1m under slot. 

1 hour ago, sevastras said:

The question is, do you want Wieters or Dee Gordon?

I really only care as long as the Os pick correct on this one. There isn’t a clear stud at this point. But if I had to pick someone right now. I’m picking CJ Abrams. Still. Especially if I could sign him $1m under slot. 

That's not the question because neither Wieters or Gordon are available in this draft.

2 hours ago, Greg Pappas said:

With the college and HS seasons underway, I suspect this 'Early Look' thread has run its course.   Perhaps @Luke-OH or someone else can consider beginning an 'official' 2019 MLB Draft thread, soon? :)

I have a draft musings thread in the draft forum, I suggest checking  it out, I’ll be adding more to it tonight I think.

We can keep this going until I put out my draft preference list.

I went 50 deep last year, this year I’m definitely going 100 at least. I have a spreadsheet with like 400 follow names with velocities and scouting notes on like 100+ already. 

Archived