Bye Bye Valencia?

Bahama O's Fan

Another team will get him.  I think that other teams were more worried about paying him the extra money if they claimed him.  Now they can get him at the prorated league minimum.   I am guessing the Orioles put him through waivers earlier and he passed through but they kept him around a bit longer hoping they could move him but noone bit so we just released him.

7 minutes ago, bpilktree67 said:

Another team will get him.  I think that other teams were more worried about paying him the extra money if they claimed him. 

$545K major league minimum vs $1.2M salary.
The new team pays roughly $135K instead of $300K.   I guess every dollar counts.

2 minutes ago, TonySoprano said:

$545K major league minimum vs $1.2M salary.
The new team pays roughly $135K instead of $300K.   I guess every dollar counts.

Also, he’ll probably get picked up a day or two before rosters expand, rather than now when he’d be pushing someone else off the 25-man roster for 2+ weeks.

2 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

If I had a dollar for every person who said Danny Valencia had some trade value I'd be able to eat like a king from the McDonald's menu for at least a week. #toldyaso ;)

Kudos to TonyS for the Decemberists reference. 

One dimensional guys who don't DH (and Danny was only like half dimensional) don't have much value. Someone will pick him up for 75 at bats or so.

I miss the days when platoon guys or other position players with limited skill sets would emerge from the bench to help win games. Weaver was a master at identifying and deploying those narrow-but-valuable skills; he focused on what a guy could do, rather than what he obviously couldn't do. There's just no room on most rosters for these guys anymore.

Danny Valencia is (was?) a survivor of this species. I enjoyed watching him in both his tours of duty with the Orioles -- well, maybe not so much on defense. Maybe he can have a third when the Orioles are battling for a division title in four or five years. 

1 hour ago, wildbillhiccup said:

If I had a dollar for every person who said Danny Valencia had some trade value I'd be able to eat like a king from the McDonald's menu for at least a week. #toldyaso ;)

Kudos to TonyS for the Decemberists reference. 

guilty.  

The changes in the market continue to amaze me.

40 minutes ago, spiritof66 said:

I miss the days when platoon guys or other position players with limited skill sets would emerge from the bench to help win games. Weaver was a master at identifying and deploying those narrow-but-valuable skills; he focused on what a guy could do, rather than what he obviously couldn't do. There's just no room on most rosters for these guys anymore.

Danny Valencia is (was?) a survivor of this species. I enjoyed watching him in both his tours of duty with the Orioles -- well, maybe not so much on defense. Maybe he can have a third when the Orioles are battling for a division title in four or five years. 

Bench?  Hard to have when you have to carry 13 man pitching staffs. 

On 8/10/2018 at 8:40 PM, MMussina35 said:

Curious what it will take to get Joey off the 40 man. 

I’m always blown away by how much hate Rickard gets around here.

He’s making like 600k. He plays anywhere in the outfield. Last season he had the highest dWAR of any of our outfielders. And he’s been killing it recently. Dude’s got a .865 OPS in the second half.

He quite literally has the third highest OPS of anyone on the team with at least 100 ABs...

It blows my mind.

• 3 weeks later...

Article about the Mariners pre game fight last night. 

In the article it mentioned some previous issues in recent years and said “there were rumors of small tiffs last year and Danny Valencia.” 

You would think some contender would want his bat off the bench but apparently he just rubs too many people the wrong way. 

https://www.seattletimes.com/sports/mariners/mariners-show-some-pregame-fight-with-an-altercation-in-the-clubhouse/?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=article_left_1.1

43 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

Article about the Mariners pre game fight last night. 

In the article it mentioned some previous issues in recent years and said “there were rumors of small tiffs last year and Danny Valencia.” 

You would think some contender would want his bat off the bench but apparently he just rubs too many people the wrong way. 

https://www.seattletimes.com/sports/mariners/mariners-show-some-pregame-fight-with-an-altercation-in-the-clubhouse/?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=article_left_1.1

From the article(on phone so no italics),

There were rumors of small tiffs last season with players and Danny Valencia. There was also report of a group of players wanting “to get” Ichiro in 2008

Thats messed up players were trying to “get” Ichiro. The guy is like 140lbs.  He must really have been “jerk”. 

Archived