What to do with Ryan Adams?

Jenius

The big question here is whether the O's should stick with Adams as an MI or start looking to move him elsewhere (most likely corner OF). This question is triggered by the continuing struggle (to put it lightly) of Adams defensively.

After looking over the stats for the SAL's other starting 2Bs, I was struck by how terrible Adams' season has been defensively. For a while I assumed that Adams was not the only one to have frequent error issues, that surely there must be other infielders in low A ball in a similar situation. What I found was that among other starting 2B in the 16-team SAL, all had FLD% ranging from .944 to .984, with the median falling at .964. Additionally, among the same group Range Factors/9 ran from 4.11 to 5.41, with the median at 4.83.

As for Adams, his FLD% at 2B sits at .883, and his FLD % at SS is even worse. On top of that, his Range Factor/9 is a subpar 4.67, which is good for 12th out of 16 starting 2B. Ugh. Perhaps most mind-boggling is that his closest competitor among all fielders in the SAL has 30 total errors, a full 10 behind him, and I couldn't find any other position player regulars with a FLD% under .900.

In the offensive department, no question Adams' improvement has been encouraging. His current line of .300-.360-.431 (.791 OPS) is solid, his K rates are improving, his LD% is a strong 18%, and if he continues on the recent trend we may have reason to be excited rather than simply interested. But based on his current stats from this season, his peak MLE projection is .276-.337-.426 (.763 OPS), acceptable for an IF but probably not for a corner OF. Obviously any MLE for low A is tenuous at best, but it gives us something. The point is that he may not hit enough to be a corner OF.

So I'm curious to hear other opinions...how long do the O's give Adams to turn the corner defensively? If he isn't going to cut it at 2B, where do they move him and how to they approach that? Any thoughts on what position(s) he would be able to handle, based on his athleticism and tools?

The big question here is whether the O's should stick with Adams as an MI or start looking to move him elsewhere (most likely corner OF). This question is triggered by the continuing struggle (to put it lightly) of Adams defensively.

After looking over the stats for the SAL's other starting 2Bs, I was struck by how terrible Adams' season has been defensively. For a while I assumed that Adams was not the only one to have frequent error issues, that surely there must be other infielders in low A ball in a similar situation. What I found was that among other starting 2B in the 16-team SAL, all had FLD% ranging from .944 to .984, with the median falling at .964. Additionally, among the same group Range Factors/9 ran from 4.11 to 5.41, with the median at 4.83.

As for Adams, his FLD% at 2B sits at .883, and his FLD % at SS is even worse. On top of that, his Range Factor/9 is a subpar 4.67, which is good for 12th out of 16 starting 2B. Ugh. Perhaps most mind-boggling is that his closest competitor among all fielders in the SAL has 30 total errors, a full 10 behind him, and I couldn't find any other position player regulars with a FLD% under .900.

In the offensive department, no question Adams' improvement has been encouraging. His current line of .300-.360-.431 (.791 OPS) is solid, his K rates are improving, his LD% is a strong 18%, and if he continues on the recent trend we may have reason to be excited rather than simply interested. But based on his current stats from this season, his peak MLE projection is .276-.337-.426 (.763 OPS), acceptable for an IF but probably not for a corner OF. Obviously any MLE for low A is tenuous at best, but it gives us something. The point is that he may not hit enough to be a corner OF.

So I'm curious to hear other opinions...how long do the O's give Adams to turn the corner defensively? If he isn't going to cut it at 2B, where do they move him and how to they approach that? Any thoughts on what position(s) he would be able to handle, based on his athleticism and tools?

I think if it doesn't effect his hitting - and it's not a physical limitation - you let him stick it out and hope for the best.

Even if it doesn't have an impact on his hitting, he should be moved as quickly as possible. When you consider the impact it has on the rest of the development of players (specifically pitchers) he should be moved. See if you can turn him in to an OF. He simply has Steve Sax/Chuck Knoblaugh syndrome...and you don't often just "overcome" it. Once you have it, it continues to come back. Move him. Granted he's hitting well...so you've got to stick w/ him - but do it at a position where it won't kill your pitchers. I believe the statistic, not certain on this, but a pitcher typically has to throw something like 15 additional pitches due to an IF error...

Even if it doesn't have an impact on his hitting, he should be moved as quickly as possible. When you consider the impact it has on the rest of the development of players (specifically pitchers) he should be moved. See if you can turn him in to an OF. He simply has Steve Sax/Chuck Knoblaugh syndrome...and you don't often just "overcome" it. Once you have it, it continues to come back. Move him. Granted he's hitting well...so you've got to stick w/ him - but do it at a position where it won't kill your pitchers. I believe the statistic, not certain on this, but a pitcher typically has to throw something like 15 additional pitches due to an IF error...

Disagree. His bat won't be playable at anywhere other than second base. It's either he fixes his problem at 2b or he doesn't have a major league future.

Maybe it is impacting other players, but that is very hard to prove. My feeling is that the pitchers aren't really impacted one way or another.

I talked with Joe Jordan about Adams and he thinks it's just a matter of him not keeping his feet moving while making the routine play. He saw him make two outstanding plays to while going left and right, but threw the ball away on a routine grounder when he threw the ball flat footed to first base.

So basically, this doesn't seem to be anything mental, but more has to do with him struggling with the everyday play.

According to Joe, he has a 65 arm which means he has the arm strength to play on the left side of the infield. I don't personally see him having the foot speed or quickness to play short, but he could probably play third base.

That being said, I'd like to see Henson play second base so it might be a good idea to switch them over the last six weeks of the season to see how they do.

That said, 40 errors is a serious issue and unless he really develops some power

Ordinarily I'd suggest trying him at catcher, but if he's got footwork problems that could be a disaster. Maybe being a catcher will force him to concentrate more since you are involved in every play.

Outside of that, centerfield perhaps?

Welp, he might have cost the 'Birds the game tonight.

Top of the 9th, 5-4 Delmarva, runner on 3rd, 2 outs. Ground ball to Adams, couldn't make the throw to 1st. E. His 41st. 5-5 going into the bottom of the 9th.

This is unreal.

Disagree. His bat won't be playable at anywhere other than second base. It's either he fixes his problem at 2b or he doesn't have a major league future.

Maybe it is impacting other players, but that is very hard to prove. My feeling is that the pitchers aren't really impacted one way or another.

You were saying?.......(Augusta 6 Delmarva 5).......

But why beat on a dead horse? I'm sure Ryan is trying his best but when you're drawing a paycheck (and there is a new draftee somewhere dying to take your spot) sometimes your best isn't good enough.

Let's hope that the O's powers that be know more about Ryan than the rest of us do but then again they have a lot more invested in Ryan than we do also.

I heard the Shorebirds game announcer last night say Ryan needs only 9 more errors to set the SAL single season error record. That is one record I hope he doesn't get!

Welp, he might have cost the 'Birds the game tonight.

Top of the 9th, 5-4 Delmarva, runner on 3rd, 2 outs. Ground ball to Adams, couldn't make the throw to 1st. E. His 41st. 5-5 going into the bottom of the 9th.

This is unreal.

Yeah, I actually felt bad for Adams when I saw that. As much as the O's must want him to get it together defensively, no doubt he had a hard time sleeping last night knowing he may have cost his team the game.

Tony's reference to Jordan's comments (and Adams' 65-rated arm) is intriguing to me. I really wonder if it would be easier for him to make the throw from 3B since he could sort of unleash that arm more? At 3B you typically have less time to mess up the footwork, so maybe that would help. I like the suggestion of switching Henson and Adams for a stretch...Tony, maybe you could suggest that to Jordan when you talk to him again? ;)

You were saying?.......(Augusta 6 Delmarva 5).......

But why beat on a dead horse? I'm sure Ryan is trying his best but when you're drawing a paycheck (and there is a new draftee somewhere dying to take your spot) sometimes your best isn't good enough.

Let's hope that the O's powers that be know more about Ryan than the rest of us do but then again they have a lot more invested in Ryan than we do also.

I heard the Shorebirds game announcer last night say Ryan needs only 9 more errors to set the SAL single season error record. That is one record I hope he doesn't get!

Did his error affect the development of other players? Again, very tough to prove. I don't think his bat plays well at all in a corner OF slot. He can't move to third because his problems throwing still comes into play.

He needs to stay at second and hopefully work through his problem. You move him off that position and his chances of becoming a major league player diminish greatly.

I have been an Adams fan from the start and think he is showing some major progress offensively this year.

His defensive issues are a major concern, but he should stay at 2B until his minor league career is finished. He just has to overcome his issues and I have plenty of patience in hoping he will.

I talked with Joe Jordan about Adams and he thinks it's just a matter of him not keeping his feet moving while making the routine play. He saw him make two outstanding plays to while going left and right, but threw the ball away on a routine grounder when he threw the ball flat footed to first base.

So basically, this doesn't seem to be anything mental, but more has to do with him struggling with the everyday play.

According to Joe, he has a 65 arm which means he has the arm strength to play on the left side of the infield. I don't personally see him having the foot speed or quickness to play short, but he could probably play third base.

That being said, I'd like to see Henson play second base so it might be a good idea to switch them over the last six weeks of the season to see how they do.

That said, 40 errors is a serious issue and unless he really develops some power

I played 14-16 Metro ball with a third baseman like that. I was the first baseman and used to tremble with fear when a ball was hit right at him because it was anyone's guess as to where the ball was headed. However, if he had to charge or move laterally, he was money. I even asked him once, "Can you just start running before you throw a ball that was hit right at you?"

Excellent idea on switching Henson and Adams, by the way. Why not? If any of Adams' problems are psychological, it's possible that the less time he has to think the less likely he is to Sax things up.

Archived