Offense Observations After Boston Series

Old#5fan

He's basically never been right about anything on any board, at any time. Why would he start now?

I have been right about 70% of the time on everything I have ever posted on any board so you have not a shred of evidence to back up your claim. I don't need to prove myself. I know what I have been right about and what I have been wrong about. Its just some who are jealous wish to hone in on the 30 % which is fine, but don't exaggerate unless you have something to back it up.

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well, we talked about his power that you were completely wrong about and you still ignored it...Perhaps people are just tired of saying things to you as you tell us the sky is red.

Yeah, I was wrong about Scott, he does have some power, particularly when he is in one of his hot streaks. However, I heard Jim Palmer quote on a recent MASN telecast that Scott has 14 home runs in over 200 at bats (I could be off on the exact number as I am quoting from memory) which equates to him hitting about 20 home runs for the season. When saying this Palmer said that while Scott is known for the ability to hit home runs that actually hitting that many home runs per season/ab is not really a home run guy.

So, who knows, maybe nobody is right on Scott, in that he's not a true power hitter nor is he a true average hitter. He's just sort of a hot and cold mediocore overall hitter/with mediocre to slightly above mediocre power. I don't think anybody was quoted as believing before he became an Oriole that description best defines Scott, so everybody was pretty much wrong about Scott. That is the reality.

Yeah, I was wrong about Scott, he does have some power, particularly when he is in one of his hot streaks. However, I heard Jim Palmer quote on a recent MASN telecast that Scott has 14 home runs in over 200 at bats (I could be off on the exact number as I am quoting from memory) which equates to him hitting about 20 home runs for the season. When saying this Palmer said that while Scott is known for the ability to hit home runs that many home runs per season/ab is not really a home run guy. So, who knows, maybe nobody is right on Scott, in that he's not a true power hitter nor is he a true average hitter. He's just sort of a hot and cold mediocore overall hitter/with mediocre to slightly above power. I don't think anybody was quoted as believing that, so everybody was pretty much wrong about Scott.

If he hit 14 homers in 200 at bats, how do you come to the conclusion that he hits 6 homers for the rest of the season?

This is just incredibly poor logic.

Scott has been a very good HR/ab guy.

BTW, you only quote Palmer when you choose to....If you said to him that you thought Huff was a better hitter than Markakis, he would laugh in your face.

If he hit 14 homers in 200 at bats, how do you come to the conclusion that he hits 6 homers for the rest of the season?

BTW, you only quote Palmer when you choose to....If you said to him that you thought Huff was a better hitter than Markakis, he would laugh in your face.

I didn't make the quote, Palmer did so ask him!:D I was just reporting what I heard him say. Of course when anyone is presenting their side of something they are not going to use points against their argument intentionally. That I quote Palmer when I choose to shows you have a firm grasp of the obvious!:eek: The point I gathered from Palmer's remark is he is not all that much impressed by Luke Scott's "power" probably for the same reason some of us aren't and that is because he is so darn streaky. He seems as likely to go a month and hit one homer or none as he is to go a month and hit 6-8. The feast month he is a power guy, the famine month he is not. Sorry, but I want more consistency in my regular starting outfield, although I will say Scott was/is a big improvement over the post steriod version of Gibbons.

I have been right about 70% of the time on everything I have ever posted on any board so you have not a shred of evidence to back up your claim. I don't need to prove myself. I know what I have been right about and what I have been wrong about. Its just some who are jealous wish to hone in on the 30 % which is fine, but don't exaggerate unless you have something to back it up.

70% of all off-handed statistics are made up, too. :D

Depends on whether Scott is in his "hot" streak or "cold" streak as to whether he's better than Payton.

No, it really doesn't. There's not one single offensive measure you can put out there that proves your "Payton is a better hitter than Scott" argument. Not a one. Not when Payton is OPSing less than .700.

I doubt Palmer would laugh in my face, he probably wouldn't give me the time of day. Nonetheless, if Huff can drive in more runs and produce more home runs than Markakis while hitting with a lower average, there is an argument that he is a better hitter because he is producing more offense. Markakis may be better at getting on base, but Huff is more efficient at driving home the runs which in my view is more important out of a guy in the middle of the lineup.

No, it really doesn't. There's not one single offensive measure you can put out there that proves your "Payton is a better hitter than Scott" argument. Not a one. Not when Payton is OPSing less than .700.

Payton has more grand slams as an Oriole than Scott, and Scott has more solo homers per homers hit than Payton. I didn't look it up but I think Payton probably is better against LH pitching as well. Don't get me wrong, I am not particularly enamored with either one of them, but when Scott is hot he is as good as they come, but unfortunately the opposite of that is essentially true as well. Payton is just medicore overall, so the edge goes to Scott, but neither is going to draw much attention as a feared hitter in a lineup most of the time. As I have posted several times, Scott is the modern Orioles version of Lee May, Mr. Streak. However, a player like that can give a manager ulcers as to knowing when to play or bench him.

I doubt Palmer would laugh in my face, he probably wouldn't give me the time of day. Nonetheless, if Huff can drive in more runs and produce more home runs than Markakis while hitting with a lower average, there is an argument that he is a better hitter because he is producing more offense. Markakis may be better at getting on base, but Huff is more efficient at driving home the runs which in my view is more important out of a guy in the middle of the lineup.

So if Markakis is getting on base, and Huff is driving him in...

I mean, if Markakis isn't getting on base in front of Huff, Huff isn't driving in nearly as many runs. This only goes hand in hand.

But no. Getting on base isn't nearly as important. Of course not. Besides, you're implying that overall, Huff is a better hitter. Over the lengths of their careers, as short as Markakis' may have been so far, Kakes has been and will be the better hitter.

Huff is having, by far, the best year of his career. One that's completely out of whack with the rest of his career numbers. But I keep forgetting. You don't care.

Markakis is a better hitter. He's the more patient hitter. He gets on base more. He sets the table better.

Keep this in mind: Markakis is hitting second. He's got Roberts to drive in. And perhaps Fahey. Huff has Roberts AND Markakis, two high OBP guys. So of course Huff has had more chances to drive in runs than Markakis has.

*sighs* I don't know why I'm bothering, though. In your eyes, one of the best young outfielders in the game having a solid-above average season by his standards/expectations isn't a better hitter than a DH having a career year.

Payton has more grand slams as an Oriole than Scott, and Scott has more solo homers per homers hit than Payton. I didn't look it up but I think Payton probably is better against LH pitching as well. Don't get me wrong, I am not particularly enamored with either one of them, but when Scott is hot he is as good as they come, but unfortunately the opposite of that is essentially true as well. Payton is just medicore overall, so the edge goes to Scott, but neither is going to draw much attention as a feared hitter in a lineup most of the time. As I have posted several times, Scott is the modern Orioles version of Lee May, Mr. Streak.

Payton is a better hitter because he hits more grand slams and less solo home runs? This is crazy talk. Payton has 9 walks all season. He's struck out right around the same amount of times Scott has in about half of the at bats. Payton might be better against LH pitching. Scott is infinitely better than Payton against righties.

As long as you concede that Scott's a better hitter than Payton, even if you still won't admit that Scott's a pretty solid player with his .810 OPS, then I'm happy for the evening.

So if Markakis is getting on base, and Huff is driving him in...

I mean, if Markakis isn't getting on base in front of Huff, Huff isn't driving in nearly as many runs. This only goes hand in hand.

But no. Getting on base isn't nearly as important. Of course not. Besides, you're implying that overall, Huff is a better hitter. Over the lengths of their careers, as short as Markakis' may have been so far, Kakes has been and will be the better hitter.

Huff is having, by far, the best year of his career. One that's completely out of whack with the rest of his career numbers. But I keep forgetting. You don't care.

Markakis is a better hitter. He's the more patient hitter. He gets on base more. He sets the table better.

Keep this in mind: Markakis is hitting second. He's got Roberts to drive in. And perhaps Fahey. Huff has Roberts AND Markakis, two high OBP guys. So of course Huff has had more chances to drive in runs than Markakis has.

*sighs* I don't know why I'm bothering, though. In your eyes, one of the best young outfielders in the game having a solid-above average season by his standards/expectations isn't a better hitter than a DH having a career year.

Actually, I don't buy your argument that Huff has a better chance of driving in runners than Markakis. That only applies in the first inning and even then, not all that much. For example, if Roberts gets on and usually either by a double or a steal is standing on second base, all Markakis needs to do is hit a single and he has an rbi. If he does that Huff only has him to drive in, and again this only applies for certain in the first inning as the order can get switched around totally during the game.

Payton is a better hitter because he hits more grand slams and less solo home runs? This is crazy talk. Payton has 9 walks all season. He's struck out right around the same amount of times Scott has in about half of the at bats. Payton might be better against LH pitching. Scott is infinitely better than Payton against righties.

As long as you concede that Scott's a better hitter than Payton, even if you still won't admit that Scott's a pretty solid player with his .810 OPS, then I'm happy for the evening.

I will concede that Scott statistically is a better hitter than Payton, but his slumps or cold streaks are worse. Of course his hot streaks are better. So it all depends on when you are comparing the two. When Scott is mired in the middle of one of his cold streaks (like now) I would rather see Payton. Otherwise I would take Scott anyday during his hot periods and wish to never see Payton.

Actually, I don't buy your argument that Huff has a better chance of driving in runners than Markakis. That only applies in the first inning and even then, not all that much. For example, if Roberts gets on and usually either by a double or a steal is standing on second base, all Markakis needs to do is hit a single and he has an rbi. If he does that Huff only has him to drive in, and again this only applies for certain in the first inning as the order can get switched around totally during the game.

You're right. Later in the game he has Roberts and Fahey hitting in front of him.

Chew on that one for a bit. Fahey's not Mr. OBP himself, here.

Besides, again, you're talking about THIS year so far. Last year Markakis hit circles around Aubrey Huff. Markakis has been the better hitter over the course of their careers as well. And I'd guarantee you that Markakis will finish his career as a better hitter than Huff is.

I'm enjoying Huff's career year as much as the next guy, but it's exactly that. It's a career year.

I love the way Old#5fan ignores Larrytt when he posts stats that show, with the exception of this month, Scott has been decidedly better than Payton. He once read or heard a commentator say that Scott was "streaky" so now we have to hear him repeat it over and over again regardless of the reality of the situation.

Thank god we don't have Joe Morgan in the booth for us or we'd be hearing Old#5fan endlessly parrot his drivel as well.

Now where is that ignore button?

Archived