Offense Observations After Boston Series

Old#5fan

Yeah, I was wrong about Scott, he does have some power, particularly when he is in one of his hot streaks. However, I heard Jim Palmer quote on a recent MASN telecast that Scott has 14 home runs in over 200 at bats (I could be off on the exact number as I am quoting from memory) which equates to him hitting about 20 home runs for the season. When saying this Palmer said that while Scott is known for the ability to hit home runs that actually hitting that many home runs per season/ab is not really a home run guy.

So, who knows, maybe nobody is right on Scott, in that he's not a true power hitter nor is he a true average hitter. He's just sort of a hot and cold mediocore overall hitter/with mediocre to slightly above mediocre power. I don't think anybody was quoted as believing before he became an Oriole that description best defines Scott, so everybody was pretty much wrong about Scott. That is the reality.

Wow. Talk about the "Tar Baby Silly Season"! Let's just say that if someone has 14 HR in 200 AB's, that projects to about 42 over a full season, if the player played regularly. (But your numbers are off anyway, but I'm tired of doing your research for you, since reality doesn't mean nearly as much to you as pre-conceived but false notions.) As to Scott's power, I suggest looking over both this season and last season, his only full seasons in the majors, and explain why you assume they are both flukes. Last year, Scott had better HR per AB stats than anyone on the O's, and this year he's second, only slightly behind Huff. And anybody who looked at his stats would know this - it's right there in black and white. But who cares about stats? Perhaps Alex Rodriguez is "just sort of a hot and cold mediocore overall hitter/with mediocre to slightly above mediocre power"; he's just been on his hot streak these past 13 years, and is due for his cold streak anytime now. :)

-Larrytt

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm enjoying Huff's career year as much as the next guy, but it's exactly that. It's a career year.

Actually, it's not Huff's career year; it's probably only his third best season. He has a .875 OPS this year, but in 2003, he had a .922 OPS; in 2002, he had a .884 OPS. In 2004, he was close, with a .853 OPS.

His "career year" so far was 2003, when he hit 34 HR and 47 doubles, batted in 107, scored 91, hit .311, slugged .555, on base percentage .367, and that .922 OPS.

-Larrytt

I love the way Old#5fan ignores Larrytt when he posts stats that show, with the exception of this month, Scott has been decidedly better than Payton. He once read or heard a commentator say that Scott was "streaky" so now we have to hear him repeat it over and over again regardless of the reality of the situation.

Scott didn't have any really bad streaks until his recent one. Most of the time he's about a .800 OPS player or a touch under, with hot streaks where he's like 1.000 OPS (like June, where he was close to 1.100!). Overall, he averages out as a .850 OPS player - and lo and behold, his lifetime OPS is .860. If it weren't for the "lefty-lefty-lefty" problem (and his current slump), he's our natural #5 hitter, after Roberts-Jones-Markakis-Huff.

-Larrytt

I love the way Old#5fan ignores Larrytt when he posts stats that show, with the exception of this month, Scott has been decidedly better than Payton. He once read or heard a commentator say that Scott was "streaky" so now we have to hear him repeat it over and over again regardless of the reality of the situation.

Thank god we don't have Joe Morgan in the booth for us or we'd be hearing Old#5fan endlessly parrot his drivel as well.

Now where is that ignore button?

The people who seriously and earnestly try responding are almost as bad. At the least it's incredibly masochistic. At worst, it's sado-masochistic because you're subjecting the rest of us to the pain, too.

Wow. Talk about the "Tar Baby Silly Season"! Let's just say that if someone has 14 HR in 200 AB's, that projects to about 42 over a full season, if the player played regularly. (But your numbers are off anyway, but I'm tired of doing your research for you, since reality doesn't mean nearly as much to you as pre-conceived but false notions.) As to Scott's power, I suggest looking over both this season and last season, his only full seasons in the majors, and explain why you assume they are both flukes. Last year, Scott had better HR per AB stats than anyone on the O's, and this year he's second, only slightly behind Huff. And anybody who looked at his stats would know this - it's right there in black and white. But who cares about stats? Perhaps Alex Rodriguez is "just sort of a hot and cold mediocore overall hitter/with mediocre to slightly above mediocre power"; he's just been on his hot streak these past 13 years, and is due for his cold streak anytime now. :)

-Larrytt

AROD versus Scott? You gotta be kidding. And you wanna poke fun at me?:laughlol::clap3::rofl:

Thank god we don't have Joe Morgan in the booth for us or we'd be hearing Old#5fan endlessly parrot his drivel as well.

Now where is that ignore button?

I don't need to hear a "commentator" state Scott was streaky. You would have to be virtually deaf, dumb, and blind not to realize that. I believe a second grader would probably have enough observation skill to see that on his own.

The people who seriously and earnestly try responding are almost as bad. At the least it's incredibly masochistic. At worst, it's sado-masochistic because you're subjecting the rest of us to the pain, too.

I don't know who "the rest of us" consists, but I have always found it extremely arrogant when posters act like 'they' speak collectively for the rest of the entire board. As far as you go, if you don't like reading my threads or posts (as you have rather unkindly spouted that you also have me on ignore - again like you are the forum Godfather) than I suggest you do like Tony recently advised me, ---stay out of the thread and don't read stuff that annoys you. I found that advice by Tony to be infallible. One more thing to get off my chest - how about talking baseball instead of making comments strictly about fellow posters? Isn't that the purpose of being here? I don't go around making comments about posters who annoy me although I certainly could if I wanted to be gone. I think you should consider what you are doing when you post non-baseball comments or remarks strictly about posters in a negative manner. I try to keep all my posts about the game and mainly the Orioles. What other posters think or believe is their business regarding opinions of players.

Scott didn't have any really bad streaks until his recent one. Most of the time he's about a .800 OPS player or a touch under, with hot streaks where he's like 1.000 OPS (like June, where he was close to 1.100!). Overall, he averages out as a .850 OPS player - and lo and behold, his lifetime OPS is .860. If it weren't for the "lefty-lefty-lefty" problem (and his current slump), he's our natural #5 hitter, after Roberts-Jones-Markakis-Huff.

-Larrytt

I think he did have sort of a bad streak after he came off of his fantastic and unpredictable hot start that had him leading the league in hitting or near the top briefly. That decline though was explained by some sort on injury. AS far as I know now, he is healthy but just not hitting.

Actually, it's not Huff's career year; it's probably only his third best season. He has a .875 OPS this year, but in 2003, he had a .922 OPS; in 2002, he had a .884 OPS. In 2004, he was close, with a .853 OPS.

His "career year" so far was 2003, when he hit 34 HR and 47 doubles, batted in 107, scored 91, hit .311, slugged .555, on base percentage .367, and that .922 OPS.

-Larrytt

Again, proof that Aubrey Huff can flat out rake. I can only hope Markakis can ever put up some of those numbers consistently year to year. That has been Huff's biggest knock, inconsistency and slow starts. I know he always seemed to rake the Orioles when he was a Ray. I hated seeing him step up to the plate. Now I love seeing him. At this point in the season there is no Oriole I would rather see stepping up to the plate with the game to be won than Aubrey Huff. He is rapidly becoming my favorite Oriole.

Payton has more grand slams as an Oriole than Scott, and Scott has more solo homers per homers hit than Payton. I didn't look it up but I think Payton probably is better against LH pitching as well. Don't get me wrong, I am not particularly enamored with either one of them, but when Scott is hot he is as good as they come, but unfortunately the opposite of that is essentially true as well. Payton is just medicore overall, so the edge goes to Scott, but neither is going to draw much attention as a feared hitter in a lineup most of the time. As I have posted several times, Scott is the modern Orioles version of Lee May, Mr. Streak. However, a player like that can give a manager ulcers as to knowing when to play or bench him.

I can't disagree with this. The record speaks for itself:

March 31 - April 19: .386/.470/.596 (66 PAs)

April 20 - May 14: .164/.224/.230 (67 PAs)

May 16 - June 30: .291/.373/.658 (134 PAs)

July 1 - July 13: .081/.171/.108 (41 PAs)

Hopefully Scott comes back from the all-star break in his "hot" mode.

I can't disagree with this. The record speaks for itself:

March 31 - April 19: .386/.470/.596 (66 PAs)

April 20 - May 14: .164/.224/.230 (67 PAs)

May 16 - June 30: .291/.373/.658 (134 PAs)

July 1 - July 13: .081/.171/.108 (41 PAs)

Hopefully Scott comes back from the all-star break in his "hot" mode.

Thanks for looking that up. I may be considered an "idiot" for my lack of use of stats, but my old but still keen eyes were right in telling me this and I didn't need to look it up. Before I posted this I was actually about to post that Scott seems like a Jekyll-Hyde hitter from month to month. He has a good one then a bad one. He's an every other month hitter! Kind of very weird if you ask me and would have to drive a manager up a wall.

Again, proof that Aubrey Huff can flat out rake. I can only hope Markakis can ever put up some of those numbers consistently year to year.

You do realize that:

1. Nick Markakis has an .892 OPS right now;

2. In 2007, his second-half OPS was .939;

3. In 2006, his second-half OPS was .896; and

4. Nick's 112 RBI last year were more than Huff has ever had in a season?

I happen to like Huff a lot, but Nick is already about as good as Huff was at his very, very best, and Nick is 24 years old.

You do realize that:

1. Nick Markakis has an .892 OPS right now;

2. In 2007, his second-half OPS was .939;

3. In 2006, his second-half OPS was .896; and

4. Nick's 112 RBI last year were more than Huff has ever had in a season?

I happen to like Huff a lot, but Nick is already about as good as Huff was at his very, very best, and Nick is 24 years old.

Nick has never hit 34 homers in a season, and I don't think he quite has the power of Huff - at least not at this point in time. The other thing I like and admire about Huff, he seems to be very good at doing the little things like hit a sac fly when the opportunity presents itself. He just is a smart veteran hitter. Stuff like this doesn't always show up in mere numbers. I also like the fact that Huff hits the same no matter what spot you put him in the lineup. He can bat third or fourth and it seems to make no difference. I actually think Huff could be this season's Orioles MVP so far.

Say, what's this thread all about?

For some reason it seems to have evolved into a comparison of Aubrey Huff's hitting prowess versus Nick Markakis, along with another discussion of Luke Scott's streakiness!:)

Archived