Offense Observations After Boston Series

Old#5fan

I would take Kevin Youkelis any day over Markakis as a hitter and he bats fith, so your stance that my belief is silly is simply unfounded.

Dude. He bats 5th because they have JD Drew, like the hottest hitter in the AL and Manny Ramirez, a Hall of Famer hitting in front of him. Do you think Youkilis would be hitting 5th for us?? Do you think the Red Sox were like ok, Youkilis, he will be our 5th hitter no matter who else is in the lineup, because he is our 5th hitter, he will always bat 5th...YOU MAKE NO SENSE!!!

Youkilis is a great hitter. He only bats 5th for Boston because they have even more freaking great hitters hitting above him.

It's like banging your head against a brick wall.

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I would take Kevin Youkelis any day over Markakis as a hitter and he bats fith, so your stance that my belief is silly is simply unfounded.

Nick Markakis: 2008 OPS - .893. Career OPS - .842

Kevin Youkilis: 2008 OPS - .933. Career OPS - .840

Depends on what you want, I guess. Nick hits more homers in general. Youkilis' OBP is higher. But Nick has a higher batting average, which is what you care about, right?!

Kakes: .299 this year, .297 career.

Youk: .314 this year, a "paltry" .286 career.

I mean, I'll take Youkilis, sure. But I'm not taking him OVER Markakis. Maybe this season so far, but over the course of their careers, no way.

The .02% of credibility you had remaining is now gone.

Nick Markakis: 2008 OPS - .893. Career OPS - .842

Kevin Youkilis: 2008 OPS - .933. Career OPS - .840

Depends on what you want, I guess. Nick hits more homers in general. Youkilis' OBP is higher. But Nick has a higher batting average, which is what you care about, right?!

Kakes: .299 this year, .297 career.

Youk: .314 this year, a "paltry" .286 career.

I mean, I'll take Youkilis, sure. But I'm not taking him OVER Markakis. Maybe this season so far, but over the course of their careers, no way.

Then there's the fact that Nick is 24 years old, at which age Youkilis was still playing for Portland (AA) and Pawtucket (AAA).

Youkilis is having a very good year, but in the long run, Nick is going to be far and away the better hitter. In fact, it won't surprise me if Nick catches Youkilis in the second half, considering Nick's history of second-half hitting.

Mr. Madison, what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

/too subtle

//:D

That's silly. We're talking about the O's lineup, where you believe Markakis should bat 5th (!). Where he would bat with the Red Sox is meaningless to the discussion. (Of course, the best way to respond in a losing argument is to change the subject.) If you get every baseball manager together, and ask them where they'd bat Markakis in the O's lineup, there'd be some disagreement over whether he should be #3 or #2 (to separate the lefties and because of his high on base percentage), but it's doubtful if a single one would even consider him batting 5th or anywhere else. No baseball person would want to put this guy's .401 OBP batting behind the O's best power hitters; batting him 2nd or 3rd mean the O's best power hitters will hit behind him. You want to take that away, fine, but I'm glad you are not managing the O's.

-Larrytt

But doesn't Youkilis take too many of those "unmanly" walks for your liking? Kevin has a higher lifetime batting average... its on the back of his baseball card.. you can look it up! Markakis also has a 100 RBI season under his belt and Youkilis doesn't.

I thought you loved RBI's... (which are also on the back of baseball cards). Markakis seems to be a better RBI man (on a much weaker team) and the higher average hitter. How come you have no love for kakes?

Mr. Madison, what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

/too subtle

I must spread reputation around. :D

/too subtle

:laughlol::laughlol:

Billy: Okay, a simple "wrong" would've done just fine. :laughlol::laughlol:

You mean like Luke Scott won't be able to handle AL pitching and how Jay Payton has more power than him?

Well, if you are not intellectually dishonest, you would have to admit that Scott has tailed off considerably and is about as streaky as Lee May was in his prime, and per at bats I believe Payton has about as much offensive production.

Archived