Offense Observations After Boston Series

Old#5fan

Well, if you are not intellectually dishonest, you would have to admit that Scott has tailed off considerably and is about as streaky as Lee May was in his prime, and per at bats I believe Payton has about as much offensive production.

How would you like me to judge this for you? Because I'm about 100% certain you're wrong on this one.

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply
How would you like me to judge this for you? Because I'm about 100% certain you're wrong on this one.

I didn't look up the stats but the difference I don't believe is huge. Scott is about as streaky a hitter as I have ever seen. I don't think anyone here knew that though before this season. If they did, nobody posted it.

I didn't look up the stats but the difference I don't believe is huge. Scott is about as streaky a hitter as I have ever seen. I don't think anyone here knew that though before this season. If they did, nobody posted it.

I wasn't posting here very much then, but I could've told you that he's streaky. Not "Streakiest player ever" streaky, but streaky. So's Payton, though, FWIW.

I was asking, though... how could I break down offensive production per at bat in a way that you would view it and say "Okay, that's something I can accept?"

Well, if you are not intellectually dishonest, you would have to admit that Scott has tailed off considerably and is about as streaky as Lee May was in his prime, and per at bats I believe Payton has about as much offensive production.

You are right, Scott is streaky. Hopefully he hits a hot streak in the 2nd half, as he usually does. Payton isn't hitting well overall, but he has hit .304/.347/.435 with runners in scoring position, so his hits have been timely.

I would like you to use the nanny-nanny-boo-boo index.

Done and done.

Scott: 6.2 NNBB/9

Payton: 2.2 NNBB/9

I think the numbers speak for themselves.

Oh, so does Scott's .808 OPS vs. Payton's .653 OPS. Also, Payton's .283 OBP is pretty woeful, especially considering it's only .40 points over his batting average (.243). Payton hits a homer every 30.16 ABs, and drives in a run every 5.83 ABs. Oh, the fact that he's struck out 33 times and walked 9 times is pretty rough, too.

Agree with Frobby, though. The timely hitting is there, which is why I like him in the pinch hitting role he's taken up lately.

Scott has a homer every 19.42 ABs, and drives in a run every 8.00 ABs, which is about the only thing he does worse than Payton. His 31 BBs compared to 58 Ks isn't terrible either, explaining his .334 OBP while he's hitting .254.

Done and done.

Oh, so does Scott's .808 OPS vs. Payton's .653 OPS. Also, Payton's .283 OBP is pretty woeful, especially considering it's only .40 points over his batting average (.243). Payton hits a homer every 30.16 ABs, and drives in a run every 5.83 ABs. Oh, the fact that he's struck out 33 times and walked 9 times is pretty rough, too.

Agree with Frobby, though. The timely hitting is there, which is why I like him in the pinch hitting role he's taken up lately.

Scott has a homer every 19.42 ABs, and drives in a run every 8.00 ABs, which is about the only thing he does worse than Payton. His 31 BBs compared to 58 Ks isn't terrible either, explaining his .334 OBP while he's hitting .254.

Stats schmatz.... If you didn't actually see him get those hits, take those walks and hit those home runs.... it's just numbers on a page.

:-) :D

Stats schmatz.... If you didn't actually see him get those hits, take those walks and hit those home runs.... it's just numbers on a page.

But... but I have. ;)

Wait, on TV or in person? I think I've missed 12 or 13 O's games all year. :D

Done and done.

As we all know, the only thing that matters is AB/RBI. Thus, Payton is obviously the better player. It's simple really.

This brings about quite a perplexing event. Since we aren't allowed to look at stats...

If Luke Scott drives in a run, and Oldfan isn't there to see it with his own eyes, does a run actually score?

As we all know, the only thing that matters is AB/RBI. Thus, Payton is obviously the better player. It's simple really.

Well, duh. After posting those stats, I learned exactly how wrong I was. Jay Payton is a better, more productive hitter. He should start. Every day.

This brings about quite a perplexing event. Since we aren't allowed to look at stats...

If Luke Scott drives in a run, and Oldfan isn't there to see it with his own eyes, does a run actually score?

Yes, but it's similar to scoring a run early in the game. It counts... it just counts for less.

I didn't look up the stats but the difference I don't believe is huge.

AVE: Scott .254 Payton .243 ADVANTAGE: Scott by 12

OBP: Scott .334 Payton .283 ADVANTAGE: Scott by 51

SLG: Scott .474 Payton .370 ADVANTAGE: Scott by 104

OPS: Scott .809 Payton .653 ADVANTAGE: Scott by 156

I'd say the difference is huge. Perhaps it is your not looking up stats, and instead judging players by recent recollections, explains your bias against Markakis, the team's leader in OPS. (Although it's hard to explain this bias, considering Markakis not only leads the team in OPS, but has a 1.101 for July so far! He's hot, and you want to move him down the batting order.)

-Larrytt

AVE: Scott .254 Payton .243 ADVANTAGE: Scott by 12

OBP: Scott .334 Payton .283 ADVANTAGE: Scott by 51

SLG: Scott .474 Payton .370 ADVANTAGE: Scott by 104

OPS: Scott .809 Payton .653 ADVANTAGE: Scott by 156

I'd say the difference is huge. Perhaps it is your not looking up stats, and instead judging players by recent recollections, explains your bias against Markakis, the team's leader in OPS. (Although it's hard to explain this bias, considering Markakis not only leads the team in OPS, but has a 1.101 for July so far! He's hot, and you want to move him down the batting order.)

-Larrytt

Those look like stats. You know that we don't judge players by those. Can you answer me these questions? Who has more fun playing? Who tries the hardest? Who wants "it" the most?

Those look like stats. You know that we don't judge players by those. Can you answer me these questions? Who has more fun playing? Who tries the hardest? Who wants "it" the most?

For these questions, I would have to go with Bynum and Fahey, our new 2nd base/SS combo, and #3 and #4 hitters.

-Larrytt :)

P.S. Hey, Fahey has a .977 OPS with RISP!!! Our new cleanup hitter!

Archived