DJ Stewart and Carroll are called up

eddie83

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

Trying to win every game.  That's why Davis is batting 5th almost every game.

Same with using Corban Joseph as a pinch hitter.

As for Davis, Buck must find it aesthetically pleasing to have the hole in the lineup right in the middle of the lineup.

9 minutes ago, spiritof66 said:

Same with using Corban Joseph as a pinch hitter.

As for Davis, Buck must find it aesthetically pleasing to have the hole in the lineup right in the middle of the lineup.

He just wanted to the box score with C Joseph pinch hitting for C Joseph.

7 hours ago, webbrick2010 said:

The O's tried to give a veteran player his likely last chance at playing in the playoffs. AJ turned it down for reason only he understands and he will most likely regret for the rest of his life. He will be lucky to get a ML contract next year. He is basically a .700 OPS DH. Worked out well for Joey Bats, he should send AJ a big thank you.

Dumb post of the year.  Jones is hitting .288 and has an OPS over .750.  He will be definitely playing in majors next year for many millions of dollars.  I would say the rest of outfielders will be lucky to get a major league contract next yeat.

4 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Why would we sit Jones but still play Caleb Joseph?  

A better question is if you are releasing Gentry why not release Caleb.  Adam is being punished by the team for not accepting a trade.  But this is a case of cutting off your nose to spite your face

2 hours ago, atomic said:

A better question is if you are releasing Gentry why not release Caleb.  Adam is being punished by the team for not accepting a trade.  But this is a case of cutting off your nose to spite your face

Keeping Caleb to help mentor Wynns and Sisco, while also giving the rookie pitchers a veteran catcher presence is ok. Caleb provides more value as a mentor than Gentry.

His playing time is the issue. Sisco should get in more games soon, as he is possibly being rested a bit as he caught a lot of games in Norfolk after Susac went down. 

Wynns should also get some more starts to get accustomed to the pitchers too and to face more MLB pitching.

8 hours ago, weams said:

The Yaz years are officially over. 

My bet is Yaz signs a minor league contract with he O's this off season with  an invite to ST.   With Hays, Diaz and Stewart being iffy to begin the season with the O's.   And Jones gone.  The O's will need a bridge outfielder until someone steps up.   Yaz is cheap, has options and played well enough at AAA to deserve a chance.

Andreoli is not playing well enough to win a spot on the 40 man roster this off season but he too could sign a minor  league contract with an invite to ST.

Only problem with either of those two guesses in that I don't know who the GM will be that is making the calls.

4 hours ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

Keeping Caleb to help mentor Wynns and Sisco, while also giving the rookie pitchers a veteran catcher presence is ok. Caleb provides more value as a mentor than Gentry.

His playing time is the issue. Sisco should get in more games soon, as he is possibly being rested a bit as he caught a lot of games in Norfolk after Susac went down. 

Wynns should also get some more starts to get accustomed to the pitchers too and to face more MLB pitching.

I’m fine with keeping Caleb to mentor, but Wynns is 28, it’s time to see what he can do. It seems like Susac opted to go home after he didn’t get a chance. Sisco didn’t play well but Caleb shouldn’t be playing over him. 

Adam Jones has been Mr. Oriole the last decade. For us to treat him this way is wrong. He’s on the roster. Buck can play him.  We had to DFA Teagarden and Gentry so Buck wouldn’t play them. If Jones leaves on any type of bad terms it’s on the Orioles and it would be disgraceful. 

Is ownership mad at Jones because they couldn’t save $2 million?  Makes me wonder how much Jones lobbied for Davis to be back?  Maybe Jones played went to PA and demanded Davis being back and everyone is mad now?  This is ending ugly. Jones is a huge part of the community. 

4 hours ago, wildcard said:

My bet is Yaz signs a minor league contract with he O's this off season with  an invite to ST.   With Hays, Diaz and Stewart being iffy to begin the season with the O's.   And Jones gone.  The O's will need a bridge outfielder until someone steps up.   Yaz is cheap, has options and played well enough at AAA to deserve a chance.

Andreoli is not playing well enough to win a spot on the 40 man roster this off season but he too could sign a minor  league contract with an invite to ST.

Only problem with either of those two guesses in that I don't know who the GM will be that is making the calls.

If I am Ysz and I get a comparable offer I go.  Why stay with an organization that wouldn't give me a September call up?

Interesting take by Peter Schmuck on why Stewart is here. 

Adam Jones was back in right field after three days in the witness protection program in St. Petersburg, Fla., and rookie outfield prospect DJ Stewart was in the house after getting a surprise call-up that seemed a little bit fishy.

It certainly looks like the Orioles realized that the rationale for sitting Jones three straight games — ostensibly to look at some younger players — wasn’t getting much traction when the one really new guy getting looked at was 28-year-old minor league journeyman John Andreoli.

The Orioles are trying to sell their long-term rebuild to the fans, so maybe the front office just figured everybody would get caught up in the Jonathan Villar high-wire act and not notice that executive vice president Dan Duquettewas making good on his angry promise to sit Jones after he refused to accept that July trade to the Philadelphia Phillies.

The Stewart call-up wouldn’t seem curious if the club had called him up right away instead of sending him home for a week before thinking better of it. Stewart got off to a strong start at Triple-A Norfolk, but struggled late and acknowledged Friday that he headed home believing he had played himself out of a September audition.

Maybe he did, but these are complicated times. The Orioles legitimately need to evaluate everyone in the organization to create the best opportunity for a quick turnaround. Stewart has a chance to be part of that, so his arrival does give the team some cover for the way it is handling what appear to be the final weeks of Jones’ career in an Orioles uniform.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles/bs-sp-jones-situation-getting-more-uncomfortable-20180911-story.html

13 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

Because Sisco is just a year younger than Stewart, put up much worse numbers and is sub par defensively at his position. Yet you think one is a legitimate prospects and the other is not.  I just find it interesting how people view things.

Well isn't that special. 

Sisco being younger is a big deal, and he's a CATCHER - not a corner OFer.  Look at the ages of the other catchers the O's have used when they got their first shot in the majors.  And he's performed better than Stewart.  He was probably brought up to the majors too quickly.  I was a fan of his in the minors, and even I said he should get another year at AAA.  One was born 11/30/93, is a corner OFer, and hasn't earned a shot at the majors.  The other was born 2/24/95, is a catcher, and the O's thought he had earned a shot at the majors.  These are not similar.       

Archived