Mesa Brothers Declared Free Agents By MLB

section18

• Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, Beef Supreme said:

What if we were to say that VVM's ceiling is what Craig Gentry's ceiling was at a comparable age? That might be more compelling to fans. Gentry never reached his predicted ceiling, after all.

I'm with you: regardless of his so-callled "ceiling," $4MM is affordable for a player with his apparent potential.

I have no idea what Gentry’s ceiling was thought to be.   Probably not very high.   He was not drafted in high school, a 10th round draft pick out of college, never a top 100 prospect, and a .714 OPS in the minors.    I’d say Gentry just about reached his ceiling.    

2 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

When the deuce is that showcase?

2 hours ago, Babkins said:

I don't know, but the fact that there is going to be a showcase says to me that Victor Victor Mesa has absolutely no intention of signing with the Baltimore Orioles. I won't be surprised if he and his brother hold out until next July and take their pick of the many offers they'll be fielding then from clubs around the league. It doesn't seem to matter much what the Orioles might be able to spend on them right now.

2 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

That would be stupid of him.

I don't disagree. It's just my hunch.

3 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Kinda hard for me to get into the mindset of a 50 year old.  ?

Have either of them ever accomplished anything?

I don't know. I guess running a billion dollar company along with an aging father counts as something. Law degrees too.

6 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

Perhaps the point of this showcase is all about the younger brother. He is more of the unknown here.  

Yes, the whole point of the showcase could be to get more attention for his brother.  I assume that all the major league teams would give Victor a multi-million dollar signing bonus if they could.  I hope the O's are scouting unknown cricket players as a fallback.

• 2 months later...

FWIW, Fangraphs ranked VVM 5th in the Marlins’ system at 45+ (note that they are hard graders compared to most other sites).   Their take is “average to slightly below average offensive profile on an above-average defender at a premium position, which adds up to a low-risk, moderate impact prospect who should be ready for the big leagues relatively soon.”  

https://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/top-32-prospects-miami-marlins/

Archived