Mesa Brothers Declared Free Agents By MLB

section18

• Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If the Os were worried about VVM's offensive potential / didn't have a plan to beat out the Marlins (or whichever other team they anticipated to be in the running for VVM) then they should have taken that into account when accepting international cap space in the Gausman trade. 

I can only hope that these issues were anticipated and that the Os have a plan here... 

What's the deal with Gaston? Is he the only other highly regarded international talent still remaining? And if so, why is he still available? 

If I were Cuban, Miami sure seems like the most appealing option among who has a shot. Plus no state taxes. 

For a young player who seems to be very into young things, Miami also sure has us beat on things like nightlife and pretty girls. (No offense, but an Baltimore 8 is like a Miami 4.)

I agree with those that are saying money talks though. I can’t imagine a defector turning down the highest offer. 

In regards to the Miami attraction...yeah, there are a lot of Cubans there but playing for the Marlins has got to suck.  Hardly anyone shows up to their games, their stadium consistently places near the bottom of any list of ballpark rankings you see...I think the Miami attraction might be a little overhyped.  I know everyone hates but respects Jeter, but having Jeter as the owner/shot caller there might be attractive to some.  While the Baltimore and the Orioles don't have much of a Cuban connection, we do have Yusniel Diaz.  I am not sure if those two guys are friends or what but maybe they've discussed playing together.  Who knows.

And it's not like Baltimore is terribly far away from Miami via flight.  It's not cross country or anything.  

I won't be surprised if the Orioles don't land VVM, though but all signs point to them having been preparing for this for awhile.  They gotta come out guns blazing on this one.

3 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

In regards to the Miami attraction...yeah, there are a lot of Cubans there but playing for the Marlins has got to suck.  Hardly anyone shows up to their games, their stadium consistently places near the bottom of any list of ballpark rankings you see...I think the Miami attraction might be a little overhyped.  I know everyone hates but respects Jeter, but having Jeter as the owner/shot caller there might be attractive to some.  While the Baltimore and the Orioles don't have much of a Cuban connection, we do have Yusniel Diaz.  I am not sure if those two guys are friends or what but maybe they've discussed playing together.  Who knows.

And it's not like Baltimore is terribly far away from Miami via flight.  It's not cross country or anything.  

I won't be surprised if the Orioles don't land VVM, though but all signs point to them having been preparing for this for awhile.  They gotta come out guns blazing on this one.

Nor will I but irritated they screwed up again. 

7 minutes ago, McLovin said:

If I were Cuban, Miami sure seems like the most appealing option among who has a shot. Plus no state taxes. 

For a young player who seems to be very into young things, Miami also sure has us beat on things like nightlife and pretty girls. (No offense, but an Baltimore 8 is like a Miami 4.)

I agree with those that are saying money talks though. I can’t imagine a defector turning down the highest offer. 

I don't think you go to the majors right away no matter what the  night life is like  at the major league level.  Plus, you get to travel everywhere.  And train in Florida or AZ every spring.  

20 minutes ago, weams said:

I really enjoyed Both Rafael Palmeiro and Nelson Cruz.  I was ok with the BRod deal. But mostly, I like to pretend I am watching clean mountain man baseball.  What I really hate is these Buscones pumping poor kids full of steroids from age 11 to ride a meal ticket.  No education, no training. Just MLB or bust. 

Yes and this is (what I was led to believe) was one of the honorable reasons Angelos did not want to play that game.  Under the current MLB environment, apparently that is the game a team has to play to succeed, unfortunately.

1 minute ago, bobmc said:

Yes and this is (what I was led to believe) was one of the honorable reasons Angelos did not want to play that game.  Under the current MLB environment, apparently that is the game a team has to play to succeed, unfortunately.

I'm of the mind that he used that as an excuse to not give money to untried 16 year olds.

2 minutes ago, weams said:

I don't think you go to the majors right away no matter what the  night life is like  at the major league level.  Plus, you get to travel everywhere.  And train in Florida or AZ every spring.  

Could this turn out to be what Syd Thrift called having "confederate money" or what Mike Flanagan would call "geographic preference?"

Archived