Future of Mancini

Aglets

Trey Mancini had a dynamite rookie year last year..........exciting the fan base while slashing a very impressive .293/.338/.488.

This year things did not start off nearly as well.    

But there may be some cause for optimism.   After a very lackluster .655 OPS in the first half of the season, he is now slashing .819 post-ASB......very close to his 2017 numbers.

So is he a nugget after all?

Where would you play him on the 2019 Orioles?  Feel free to contrast this with what you think the Orioles will actually do.   Obviously the presence of Trumbo and Davis complicates things a bit.

He is fine at first base. I think putting him a position he can't play adequately has effected his hitting.  He should never be put in the outfield again.  Let him play everyday at first base in 2019. If Trumbo and Davis are both back and healthy they can platoon at DH. Neither of them has to see the field again. 

8 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

1B or DH.  I think Mancini is a nugget.  2-3 win player with some good pop.  Not an all world talent, but he's not part of the problem, I see him as part of the solution as long as he's not in LF.

Glad to see he's had a great 2nd half.

Not trying to play outfield may have helped. 

10 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I think so.  I'm a believer that some guys hit better when they're in the field, or playing a certain position.  His bat doesn't outweigh his glove in LF but I'm assuming (would have to look) that he's hitting well playing 1B.  

This season, he has a .230/.292/.399 slash at 1B, a .243.306//.395 slash in LF and a .274/.294/.629 slash as a DH (albeit in 68 plate appearances). I don't think that definitively shows he's better at the plate when at 1B, but I don't think it has to. Jumping between positions isn't the easiest thing and getting him locked into a comfortable defensive position may translate to the bat.

1 hour ago, Aglets said:

Trey Mancini had a dynamite rookie year last year..........exciting the fan base while slashing a very impressive .293/.338/.488.

This year things did not start off nearly as well.    

But there may be some cause for optimism.   After a very lackluster .655 OPS in the first half of the season, he is now slashing .819 post-ASB......very close to his 2017 numbers.

So is he a nugget after all?

Where would you play him on the 2019 Orioles?  Feel free to contrast this with what you think the Orioles will actually do.   Obviously the presence of Trumbo and Davis complicates things a bit.

I'd move Trey to 1st. Make the strikeout king permanent DH. Or he can split time at DH with Trumbo. I do wish the fans would know more about the future of the FO.

1 hour ago, Bahama O's Fan said:

I put him at 1B and see if he can get the job done. We are not going anywhere anyway. Trumbo is the DH. Davis is riding the bench. I give Davis a few spot starts but only after seeing him put in some hard work.

This is what should happen. Take the pressure off of him from playing out of place and see what he can do. 

I think Mancini’s career line of .269/.320/.462 is about what I expect of him going forward.    Hopefully, he will have some seasons that are better than that.  But those are decent numbers for a 1B/DH — nothing to write home about, but respectable.  

Archived