The Victor Victor Mesa/Sandy Gaston thread

Luke-OH

5 minutes ago, Ruzious said:

And they would get lambasted by pretty much every internet baseball writer - for trading for some after they basically gave away the 750k.  That would be some crazy International confederate monopoly trading there.   

They could spin it that trading it was Dan's decision and now Dan is gone.

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, Malike said:

I read the Marlins added 1.75M between the two players they traded. That would put that 6M, so right in line with the O's. They might not be done, either.

Ugg, on to 16 year old Mr. Gaston.  

As the Foo Fighters said, "Done, done and I'm on to the next one"

4 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

If one was an apologist you could speculate that Dan got word of the Marlin-Mesa Camp plan to accumulate the necessary funds to meet the asking price, and in a fit of bitter resignation Dan started spending it again just like old times ?

But at this point why not trade for more and get into an amusing bidding war with the Fish? I am pretty sure we have less to lose.

38 minutes ago, nate22 said:

If the Marlins want to sign all three and have similar slot money, there's no reason we can't come away with one of the three.

Or two of them. Let them spend the most on their choice and take the other two. 

Outside of an MLB-forced sale, I have exactly zero hope.  Not that V2 is the next Trout necessarily, but he was a sign of a change in direction and now he's gone, there's no one left, and there is nothing except an inept Brady Anderson in the warehouse.  I can't do another 14 years of excrement.  

27 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

And they could say that is a reason Dan is gone.  OTOH, the $750K they gave up for Zollner probably does not make a difference.  The Mesa's are most likely a package deal.  

15 minutes ago, Chromehill said:

And they could say that is a reason Dan is gone.  OTOH, the $750K they gave up for Zollner probably does not make a difference.  The Mesa's are most likely a package deal.  

Would the younger Mesa turn down 4? That’s still enough for Gastón too

Timeline:

August 18 -- Mark Trumbo plays his last game

August 29 -- Mark Trumbo makes public that he is having season ending surgery.

Some assumptions:

-- In July, the Orioles announced they WOULD spend international money.   And, in fact, they did sign several guys.   More than in past years.   And still had a lot of money left over.   Let's say they knew all along that getting VVM, VM, and Gaston was a pipe dream and they were going to focus on ONE Of those guys

-- Let's assume that the O's were going to spend a chunk, but not all, of their international money to get whichever of the 3 Cubans they have their eyes on

-- Let's assume that the O's were going to spend the other chunk of their international cap space in a package to get someone to take Trumbo's contract off our hands

-- Let's assume that by August 27, the Orioles knew that the season ending surgery, made public a couple days later, was likely, and that Trumbo could no longer be traded

-- That MIGHT explain why they would suddenly be willing to get rid of some cap space.   Why for Jack Zoellner, though?   That is the one little puzzle piece in my conspiracy theory that doesn't fit.   Did we "owe" the Phillies something?   Did we have an Adam Jones deal in place and over-promised on our ability to get him to waive his 10-5 rights, and maybe this was a conciliatory gift to them to make up for that?   Because while you can connect the dots and think that maybe finding out that they couldn't deal Trumbo, and didn't need some international cap room to sweeten that deal, might make them think they have some to spare.   But 750K for JZ still doesn't compute.

-- Was Dan Duquette on the grassy knoll?

I'll take off my tinfoil hat and now return you to your normal bickering..

5 minutes ago, SteveA said:

Timeline:

August 18 -- Mark Trumbo plays his last game

August 29 -- Mark Trumbo makes public that he is having season ending surgery.

Some assumptions:

-- In July, the Orioles announced they WOULD spend international money.   And, in fact, they did sign several guys.   More than in past years.   And still had a lot of money left over.   Let's say they knew all along that getting VVM, VM, and Gaston was a pipe dream and they were going to focus on ONE Of those guys

-- Let's assume that the O's were going to spend a chunk, but not all, of their international money to get whichever of the 3 Cubans they have their eyes on

-- Let's assume that the O's were going to spend the other chunk of their international cap space in a package to get someone to take Trumbo's contract off our hands

-- Let's assume that by August 27, the Orioles knew that the season ending surgery, made public a couple days later, was likely, and that Trumbo could no longer be traded

-- That MIGHT explain why they would suddenly be willing to get rid of some cap space.   Why for Jack Zoellner, though?   That is the one little puzzle piece in my conspiracy theory that doesn't fit.   Did we "owe" the Phillies something?   Did we have an Adam Jones deal in place and over-promised on our ability to get him to waive his 10-5 rights, and maybe this was a conciliatory gift to them to make up for that?   Because while you can connect the dots and think that maybe finding out that they couldn't deal Trumbo, and didn't need some international cap room to sweeten that deal, might make them think they have some to spare.   But 750K for JZ still doesn't compute.

-- Was Dan Duquette on the grassy knoll?

I'll take off my tinfoil hat and now return you to your normal bickering..

Trumbo was untradeable even if healthy. 

Archived