Kent Qualls' contract extended as Dir. of MiL Ops; more smoke and mirrors?

ThomasTomasz

While there have been significant changes for the Orioles in baseball operations, player development and scouting, the turnover won’t touch Kent Qualls.

The Orioles intend to bring back Qualls as director of minor league operations. The same title that he’s held since coming to the organization prior to the 2013 season.

Qualls’ past duties have included overseeing the administration of the club’s player development department and minor league affiliates. His responsibilities broadened under former executive vice president Dan Duquette, but it’s possible that some adjustments could be made under new front office hires.

There’s still so much uncertainty engulfing the franchise, but Qualls won’t be a casualty after Duquette and manager Buck Showalter learned their fates on Oct. 3.

Read More: http://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2018/11/qualls-staying-with-orioles.html

Like many of you, I continue to hold my breath about the future of the Orioles- who we hire to fill the key spots in the front office, and then to the manager.  I've heard the statement that whoever is put in charge of baseball operations- whatever that title may be- will have full control to make changes as they see fit.  

However, a move like this, extending someone in a key FO position as director of minor league operations, directly conflicts with that statement.  While the farm system as a whole is on it's way up- a lot of credit has been given to John Wasdin's input on the pitching prospects we've drafted the past two years- I just don't understand how you can promise someone full control, and then have this key position not filled.  

I will continue to wait like the rest of you, but I'm really bummed out that it seems we are just about ready to head in the same direction we've been heading overall for the past 20 years.  

8 minutes ago, ThomasTomasz said:

Like many of you, I continue to hold my breath about the future of the Orioles- who we hire to fill the key spots in the front office, and then to the manager.  I've heard the statement that whoever is put in charge of baseball operations- whatever that title may be- will have full control to make changes as they see fit.  

However, a move like this, extending someone in a key FO position as director of minor league operations, directly conflicts with that statement.  While the farm system as a whole is on it's way up- a lot of credit has been given to John Wasdin's input on the pitching prospects we've drafted the past two years- I just don't understand how you can promise someone full control, and then have this key position not filled.  

I will continue to wait like the rest of you, but I'm really bummed out that it seems we are just about ready to head in the same direction we've been heading overall for the past 20 years.  

Graham is the player development guy, Qualls is more a business manager. He deals with the relationship between the Orioles and their minor league affiliates. He's not a baseball guy, he's got a business administration degree and he's never played professionally. Qualls should be judged on how smoothly minor league operations are run, not on how players are developed or not developed.

Edit: To be clear, Qualls doesn't do what you think he does.

1 minute ago, Luke-OH said:

Graham is the player development guy, Qualls is more a business manager. He deals with the relationship between the Orioles and their minor league affiliates. He's not a baseball guy, he's got a business administration degree and he's never played professionally. Qualls should be judged on how smoothly minor league operations are run, not on how players are developed or not developed.

I am aware of what he does to some extent, realizing he handles more of the business side of things.  I deal with the college sports equivalents of his position in my job quite a bit.  My point still stands- this is an important job, one that should be left to the incoming staff to hire, especially if the contract has run out.  So I am quite confused as to why we readily extended his deal before we've even announced a new head of baseball ops, much less a GM.  

5 minutes ago, ThomasTomasz said:

I am aware of what he does to some extent, realizing he handles more of the business side of things.  I deal with the college sports equivalents of his position in my job quite a bit.  My point still stands- this is an important job, one that should be left to the incoming staff to hire, especially if the contract has run out.  So I am quite confused as to why we readily extended his deal before we've even announced a new head of baseball ops, much less a GM.  

Because his job, while essential, will not affect the rebuilding of the club. And, because someone has to do his job. If the new hierarchy doesn't like the way he does his job, they can replace him at any time. He doesn't make enough money to worry about it.

Just now, ThomasTomasz said:

I'd imagine it's just a logistics thing. They don't have any issue with the work he's done and if they don't extend the contracts of some key personnel you could be looking at months before you have a replacement in place.

That's one reason why Rajsich is still around (although I'd be cool with him staying, I think he's done a good job), they need to start draft prep. Same with Graham. 

Now do I think they should be a month or two ahead of where they are now and already have a new FO in place? Of course. But that's not the case and you can't just have months of no one dealing with the logistics of running a MLB team. 

47 minutes ago, Luke-OH said:

I'd imagine it's just a logistics thing. They don't have any issue with the work he's done and if they don't extend the contracts of some key personnel you could be looking at months before you have a replacement in place.

That's one reason why Rajsich is still around (although I'd be cool with him staying, I think he's done a good job), they need to start draft prep. Same with Graham. 

Now do I think they should be a month or two ahead of where they are now and already have a new FO in place? Of course. But that's not the case and you can't just have months of no one dealing with the logistics of running a MLB team. 

With the different affiliates and the logistics that get involved it would be prudent to keep someone on staff that can keep the affiliates informed as to their respective roles.  If someone does not think this is important than maybe they want the entire understructure  form Rookie Ball to AAA rebuilt from finding new affiliates to filling the roles on those staffs.  This would be counterproductive in my opinion.

5 hours ago, ThomasTomasz said:

Here’s the question — how much burden do you want to put on the new guys to fill literally every position in the organization in a short window of time?    Seems to me there’s some logic in retaining a few people for a year so that the new folks can focus on getting their arms around the organization and filling some key spots.    It’s not like Qualls has been given a lifetime contract; if they want someone else they can replace him in 2019.   

20 hours ago, Luke-OH said:

Always appreciate your informed insight, Luke.

14 hours ago, WI O’s Fan said:

Where did this tidbit come from?

While the farm system as a whole is on it's way up- a lot of credit has been given to John Wasdin's input on the pitching prospects we've drafted the past two years-

Here’s the first article I saw crediting Wasdin for improving the O’s pitching development:  https://calltothepen.com/2018/07/30/baltimore-orioles-not-old-os/2/

• 3 weeks later...

Brady doesn't count. 

Kent Qualls was the last man standing. 

Kent spent a good bit of time with my wife and I at spring training last season. At the Twin Lakes Park. Very informative and friendly.  He had been with the Pirates and Montreal in his history and knew people in Harrisburg that we did. 

1 hour ago, weams said:

Brady doesn't count. 

Kent Qualls was the last man standing. 

Kent spent a good bit of time with my wife and I at spring training last season. At the Twin Lakes Park. Very informative and friendly.  He had been with the Pirates and Montreal in his history and knew people in Harrisburg that we did. 

The Guv-na?

5 minutes ago, scOtt said:

The Guv-na?

I actually live across the street from the Governor's home. But he does not live there in that he commutes to work from Mt. Wolf each day. He attends various events there and of course some official business. Both Montreal and Pittsburgh had their double AA in Harrisburg in the years I have been in the area. 

Just now, weams said:

I actually live across the street from the Governor's home. But he does not live there in that he commutes to work from Mt. Wolf each day. He attends various events there and of course some official business. Both Montreal and Pittsburgh had their double AA in Harrisburg in the years I have been in the area. 

governors-residence-d07a9ec29e5fd3b4.jpgholiday-featured-image-2.jpg

Archived