Luke’s 2018 Rule 5 Draft Preference List

Luke-OH

Ok, so not necessarily the top guys on my list because I have a bunch of video scouting still to do, but here are a few unprotected names who stick out to me. Please let me know if I missed any of these guys getting added to the 40. Also, feel free to list any guys who are interesting to you, I might already have them, but sometimes guys slip through the cracks, so it helps.

Big Fastballs 

Jackson McClelland

Jorge Alcala

Junior Fernandez

Former 1st round Arms

Kyle Zimmer

Tyler Jay

Starters who could pop in the bullpen

Sam McWilliams

Akeem Bostick

Utility bats who can handle SS

Richie Martin

Danny Mendick

Luis Carpio

Sam Haggerty

Utility OF who can handle CF

Forrest Wall

Low minors upside arms

Joan Baez

Will Stewart

Bats without defensive value

Josh Ockimey

John Nogowski

Non-SS super utility (have played IF and OF)

Kean Wong

Jamie Westbrook

Josh VanMeter

Backup C with some pop

Deivi Grullon

Martin Cervenka (Orioles)

Not listed are the numerous polished AAA arms and corner bats who likely lack the tools to survive in the majors.

• Replies 508
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, Frobby said:

From your list, we clearly need to draft Joan Baez.   If nothing else, he can sing the national anthem.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/register/player.fcgi?id=baez--002joa

Baez's velocity increased substantially as the season went along, and sat 95, t97 in the Carolina League Playoffs in a 5 inning start with an above average CB and solid SL. I'd be surprised if no one picks him. 

4 hours ago, Luke-OH said:

Ok, so not necessarily the top guys on my list because I have a bunch of video scouting still to do, but here are a few unprotected names who stick out to me. Please let me know if I missed any of these guys getting added to the 40. Also, feel free to list any guys who are interesting to you, I might already have them, but sometimes guys slip through the cracks, so it helps.

Big Fastballs 

Jackson McClelland

Jorge Alcala

Junior Fernandez

Former 1st round Arms

Kyle Zimmer

Tyler Jay

Starters who could pop in the bullpen

Sam McWilliams

Akeem Bostick

Utility bats who can handle SS

Richie Martin

Danny Mendick

Luis Carpio

Sam Haggerty

Utility OF who can handle CF

Forrest Wall

Low minors upside arms

Joan Baez

Will Stewart

Bats without defensive value

Josh Ockimey

John Nogowski

Non-SS super utility (have played IF and OF)

Kean Wong

Jamie Westbrook

Josh VanMeter

Backup C with some pop

Deivi Grullon

Martin Cervenka (Orioles)

Not listed are the numerous polished AAA arms and corner bats who likely lack the tools to survive in the majors.

Josh vanmeter played with my sons on the state championship team, Norwell. A high school that churns out major leaguers. Jarrod Parker was my next door neighbor. Another Norwell team that won the 3A state championship. 

I hope we just go all high ceiling picks. Even if that means drafting players from Rookie and A ball. We’re going to lose 100 games, why not basically draft three guys and “redshirt” them? Then we have them in our system wth three options. If 1/3 is a contributor in 2021, then it works out.  

This strategy really only applies to Latin American players who signed at 16 and therefore eligible for the Rule 5 draft. 

54 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I hope we just go all high ceiling picks. Even if that means drafting players from Rookie and A ball. We’re going to lose 100 games, why not basically draft three guys and “redshirt” them? Then we have them in our system wth three options. If 1/3 is a contributor in 2021, then it works out.  

This strategy really only applies to Latin American players who signed at 16 and therefore eligible for the Rule 5 draft. 

Because it's extremely hard to develop prospects that raw at the major league level, bordering on impossible. 

Sandro Fabian and Marcus Wilson are extremely raw but toolsy guys that would fit your description. They likely won't make my top 30. 

1 hour ago, Luke-OH said:

Because it's extremely hard to develop prospects that raw at the major league level, bordering on impossible. 

Sandro Fabian and Marcus Wilson are extremely raw but toolsy guys that would fit your description. They likely won't make my top 30. 

I think this is one of my other issues with the Rule 5.  The fact that you HAVE TO GIVE these players an ML spot in order to retain them makes this whole thing weird.  And kinda stupid.  It doesn't really set these guys up for success. 

If a guy is kept on the 25 man for Opening Day, how does he get the consistent at bats to work on his skills?  Let's be real, if a Rule 5 guy is kept, he's probably the 25th guy on the roster.  His time would most likely be spent in the minors getting at bats, working on his skills and growing.

I understand the (faulty) logic for having these guys being kept on the 25 man roster but I think the Rule 5 rules need to be reformed.  I'm not pretending to have any answers but the system and the rules are so janky that it doesn't set anyone up for success.

Is there one player that we can keep from this Rule 5 draft and give significant playing time?   This year is going to be a rebuilding year, so now seems like the ideal time to pick one of these players up.    I find it hard to believe that we can't find one guy who has the potential to be a valuable player that isn't better than some of the players on our 40-man.

9 hours ago, Frobby said:

From your list, we clearly need to draft Joan Baez.   If nothing else, she can sing the national anthem.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/register/player.fcgi?id=baez--002joa

FTFY (hopefully I haven't drifted into a non-PC area of abuse)

I'd go with a seventh inning, rousing version of, "The Times They are A'changin'" though", each and every game vice "Thank God I'm a (effing) Country Boy!!  And that's not even getting into the anti-Nats vibe!

Archived