2014 Astros article tells what is going to happen with the O's and why

wildcard

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, VeveJones007 said:

I’m not sure that’s the correct takeaway. I would go with “they blew a first overall pick and still won a title in 5 years.” They obviously did a lot of things exceptionally  well.

By not signing Aiken, the Astros got the second pick in the 2015 draft, which they used to take Alex Bregman.  The Astros ended up with plenty of value for having the worst record in 2013. 

They faced a lot of criticism for the Brady Aiken pick and then letting go when the medical issues popped up, but history has shown that not signing him was a very smart decision.     

2 hours ago, wildcard said:

Whoever is manager is going to  oversee a lot of players coming and going.  He should be a good developer of young players and he should be eternally optimistic because the O's are going to lose a lot in the next three years.

Agreed....I would think all of this spells the end for Davis. Davis is an analytics nightmare.

4 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

We will know if the FO has the power to do what they want if they can cut Davis.

I expect Davis will be with the O's all of 2019.  

Mancini will turn 27 on March 18th.   That means he will be 30 going into the 2022 season.   Too old to be with the O's for a run to the WS 2023 and 2024.   I think Mancini could be traded this off season if he can bring back a young prospect or two.  The only reason I see for  Mancini to still be with the O's on April 1st is if no one makes an offer the Elias will accept.  He will be shopped this winter IMO.

Mountcastle will turn 22 on Feb 18th.   He does not have enough minor league service time to need to be on the 40 man roster.  He has not played a day at AAA yet.   There is no need  to start his major league clock in 2019.  I think he spends the year in AAA.  

I think Davis and Trumbo play most games in 2019.   Hopefully Trumbo plays well enough to be traded in July.

Elias may bring in a coach to change Davis' mind set and swing.  Get him to be able to hit to left field when the other team shifts.   Maybe less homers but a higher OBP would be the goal.

29 minutes ago, hutchead said:

If they truly want to tank these next couple of years to get the top draft choice, why would they want to get rid of Davis? They're stuck with his salary so why not keep him and play him every day to assure last place?

He would take up a spot on the 40 and 25 man rosters.

1 hour ago, hutchead said:

If they truly want to tank these next couple of years to get the top draft choice, why would they want to get rid of Davis? They're stuck with his salary so why not keep him and play him every day to assure last place?

He would be a constant reminder to the rest of the team of the worst of times.

Offer him a deal whereby they raise his total pay by a few million and pay it our over 30 years. That's the only kind of settlement I can imagine that the union would go for. 

7 hours ago, wildcard said:

I expect Davis will be with the O's all of 2019.  

Mancini will turn 27 on March 18th.   That means he will be 30 going into the 2022 season.   Too old to be with the O's for a run to the WS 2023 and 2024.   I think Mancini could be traded this off season if he can bring back a young prospect or two.  The only reason I see for  Mancini to still be with the O's on April 1st is if no one makes an offer the Elias will accept.  He will be shopped this winter IMO.

Mancini may or may not be shopped, but your assumptions about how Elias will operate are driving me a little nuts.   First of all, Luhnow was the GM of the Astros, not Elias, and there’s no telling whether Elias will do things exactly as Luhnow did.   Second, the 2017 Astros had 33-year old Brian McCann at C, 33-year old Yuli Gurriel at 1B, 35-year old Nori Aoki frequently in LF, 30-year old Josh Reddick in RF, 40-year old Carlos Beltran at DH and 32-year old Mike Fiers and 33-year old Charlie Morton in the rotation, and then they traded for 34-year old Justin Verlander.    I think it’s safe to say the Astros didn’t have some litmus test that avoided players who would be 30 or older when they were ready for a World Series run.   

Archived