Reminder - Elias Presser Today at 11 am

TonySoprano

3 minutes ago, TonySoprano said:

That's one way of putting it.  In fairness, it's not like the Orioles were going to announce that they were dropping Davis like a bag of wet cement.  That deal was all on Peter, and they are adamant they aren't going to write it off.  So Elias is being paid to take responsibility for it.  He's left trying to put a good face on it saying, "He had a frustrating campaign this year. I think the chances are good of him bouncing back and improving upon that and I’m going to get involved in the work going into his offseason work, his preparation and any new ideas or information that we can provide to him to help him out, we will do our best to do that. So that’s my hope.”

I’m hopeful that Elias and his people can somewhat resurrect Davis... maybe not the 50 homer guy ... but maybe the .250 guy that hits 30+ and strikes out less than 170 times ...would be a major improvement 

• Replies 340
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

I’m hopeful that Elias and his people can somewhat resurrect Davis... maybe not the 50 homer guy ... but maybe the .250 guy that hits 30+ and strikes out less than 170 times ...would be a major improvement 

The last time Davis struck out less than 170 times was 2012, when he struck out 169 times in 139 games.    Honestly if he hits .250, I don’t care how many times he strikes out.    That would be miraculous.   

34 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

So for anyone that has been naysaying the news conference with John and Lou has to be a real sign that things have changed.

I think that they gave a real good overview through Duquette this summer and now again with Elias

I really like how they pointed to Elias on Davis. 

Im sold that we are entering a new era and excited to see if Elias can get it done!

obviously it’s fair to be cautiously optimistic..... but if Elias is given a budget and free reign over the club I think we couldn’t have asked for a better situation 

I am optimistic and very impressed and extremely pleased with the selection of Mike Elias and the opened media discussion with fans. 

The devil ultimately will be in the details...who stays, who is hired, who is selected, etc.  but overall a great day for Orioles baseball. 

The only caveat I might offer about “free reign” is “Brady Anderson.”  He needs to go if for no other reason that many fans believe him to have undercut the prior GM, to have too cozy a relationship with ownership and we will continue to speculate on his influence when any controversial decision comes to be made.

A perfect example was yesterday....in contrast to the new GM, how many times has Brady Anderson as an Executive VP made himself available for public questioning by the media about his role and his influence on baseball operations decisions?  

I will continue to have nagging reservations about “free reign” of the new leadership as long as Brady Anderson is still getting an Executive VP paycheck. 

3 minutes ago, Frobby said:

The last time Davis struck out less than 170 times was 2012, when he struck out 169 times in 139 games.    Honestly if he hits .250, I don’t care how many times he strikes out.    That would be miraculous.   

It would be like 2018 Matt Kemp.

4 minutes ago, tntoriole said:

I am optimistic and very impressed and extremely pleased with the selection of Mike Elias and the opened media discussion with fans. 

The devil ultimately will be in the details...who stays, who is hired, who is selected, etc.  but overall a great day for Orioles baseball. 

The only caveat I might offer about “free reign” is “Brady Anderson.”  He needs to go if for no other reason that many fans believe him to have undercut the prior GM, to have too cozy a relationship with ownership and we will continue to speculate on his influence when any controversial decision comes to be made.

A perfect example was yesterday....in contrast to the new GM, how many times has Brady Anderson as an Executive VP made himself available for public questioning by the media about his role and his influence on baseball operations decisions?  

I will continue to have nagging reservations about “free reign” of the new leadership as long as Brady Anderson is still getting an Executive VP paycheck. 

Vice President, Baseball Operations Brady Anderson
Vice President, Strategy & Analytics Scott Lewis
Vice President, Communications & Marketing Greg Bader

So there is that. No Executive. 

7 minutes ago, tntoriole said:

Vice President, Corporate Partnerships Marco A. Gentile
Vice President, Finance Michael D. Hoppes, CPA

Vice President, Orioles-Sarasota David Rovine

We will find out about Brady soon enough. 

3 minutes ago, weams said:

We will find out about Brady soon enough. 

I'm good with keeping him around as some of his supporters have said - I loved him as a player, ties to the past, Cal's bud, fitness guru, etc.  Who knows what role he has played in all of the demise but we really can't say what, if any, influence his fitness tactics have had on anything (run on caffeine talking). We may have been fit, but we sure haven't done much with it, IMO.  But, glean from him what you can and see if any new role is applicable and move on.  

13 minutes ago, SteveA said:

Interesting.  Wonder what taking the "Executive" out of the title means?  He no longer has his own restroom?

Dan was Executive VP for Baseball Operations, which, IIRC, ostensibly put him higher in the chain than Brady.  As such, and I could be wrong, I don't think Brady had "executive" as part of his title.   

Also, if they were going to change titles on the website, it certainly would make sense to add Mike Elias at the same time.

Just now, TonySoprano said:

Dan was Executive VP for Baseball Operations, which, IIRC, ostensibly put him higher in the chain than Brady.  As such, and I could be wrong, I don't think Brady had "executive" as part of his title.

This was my initial thought as well, actually, but thought I might have misremembered. 

Archived