Rumors and News

oriolediehard

1 hour ago, Whammer said:

If healthy, I think Donaldson is the best 3B in MLB (yes, including Manny). He could do for ATL what Nelson Cruz did for us in 2014.

Health may improve.  Age, 33 on Dec 8, will not.  I'd take Manny any day.

• Replies 315
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, scOtt said:

Seems odd Donaldson would jump at a 1-year deal so early. It's a buttload of $$$ but you'd think he could find 2/30 or 3/40 somewhere....

I'm sure he could find a 2/30 or 3/40, but he's getting 1/23, meaning he just needs a 1/7 or 2/17 deal next year to match those numbers. I don't think it's that much of a gamble unless he cannot play at all. Even if his days at 3B are behind him by the end of next year, it's likely someone would be willing to give him at least 1/7 unless he completely fell off the face of the earth. Of course, he's banking he can prove he's fully healthy to land a much better 2-year deal (compared to 2/17) next year.

24 minutes ago, scOtt said:

Seems odd Donaldson would jump at a 1-year deal so early. It's a buttload of $$$ but you'd think he could find 2/30 or 3/40 somewhere....

If he has a good year he could end up making a lot more than 2/$30 mm or 3/$40 mm.   He’s betting on himself — and pocketing $23 mm in the meantime.   

1 minute ago, jrobb21613 said:

If we’re looking to address second base via free agency I’d rather ya stir clear of Kinsler and go after either Jed Lowerie or DJ LeMahieu.

I don't think they are cheap cheap cheap like Kinsler has to be. 

1 minute ago, weams said:

I don't think they are cheap cheap cheap like Kinsler has to be. 

Oh no doubt they’d cost substantially more than Kinsler but depending on how much more they could have substantially more value and would help field a competitive team. Lowrie would also give vetrean Leadership but not sure he’d be interested in signing onto a rebuild unless we overpaid or Elias is a really great salesman. I just would like to see us field a competitive team and kinsler doesn’t help imo. I get the dollars have to make sense and I imagine a lot of rescourxes are going to be going towards other areas of the organization that have been vastly ignored in the past that will better help develope homegrown talent but at the same time we must have balance and part of that balance imo has to be a competitive big league club that will require imo signing some free agents but not high cost free agents I’m not sure what the markets for either of those guys are going to be but I doubt they are out of the realm of possibility. We also imo need to address catcher. I can’t see us continuing to send Joseph out there unless Sisco is ready and they want to give him the shot at the everyday job but he didn’t help himself any last year. Maybe Austin Wynns?? I don’t know. I do know there are a couple veteran catchers that huge upgrades but again is that in the cards for this year? I’m really excited to see the moves or lack of moves made this offseason just what it is that the new leadership does. I really don’t know what to expect but I Like Elias and Trust him to return competitive and winning baseball back to Birdland. I personally don’t think we are that far out or many pieces away from once again being contender especially with the right manager.

26 minutes ago, jrobb21613 said:

Oh no doubt they’d cost substantially more than Kinsler but depending on how much more they could have substantially more value and would help field a competitive team. Lowrie would also give vetrean Leadership but not sure he’d be interested in signing onto a rebuild unless we overpaid or Elias is a really great salesman. I just would like to see us field a competitive team and kinsler doesn’t help imo. I get the dollars have to make sense and I imagine a lot of rescourxes are going to be going towards other areas of the organization that have been vastly ignored in the past that will better help develope homegrown talent but at the same time we must have balance and part of that balance imo has to be a competitive big league club that will require imo signing some free agents but not high cost free agents I’m not sure what the markets for either of those guys are going to be but I doubt they are out of the realm of possibility. We also imo need to address catcher. I can’t see us continuing to send Joseph out there unless Sisco is ready and they want to give him the shot at the everyday job but he didn’t help himself any last year. Maybe Austin Wynns?? I don’t know. I do know there are a couple veteran catchers that huge upgrades but again is that in the cards for this year? I’m really excited to see the moves or lack of moves made this offseason just what it is that the new leadership does. I really don’t know what to expect but I Like Elias and Trust him to return competitive and winning baseball back to Birdland. I personally don’t think we are that far out or many pieces away from once again being contender especially with the right manager.

Interesting take. Thanks. 

Archived