Elias will be active in the free agent market this off season

wildcard

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply
41 minutes ago, wildcard said:

I really don't see the point in signing Escobar, Mercer, Galvis or Hechavarria.    Why spend the money.   Their defense has slipped and they can't hit.   

Just go with Richie Martin.  His defense will probably be as good and he is cheap. He will not hit but neither  would the other guys.    If he can't go the whole season then Villar  switches to SS and Valera, or Wilkerson  who have options or Corban Joseph to play  2nd base.  

If the O's really wanted to improve the team defense and try to make Cobb, Bundy, Cashner and Givens better so they can increase their trade value then they spend the money on Jose Iglesias  who is an above average fielding SS.   But if the O's don't want to spend the money to do that then there is little reason to spend for more than a Rule 5 guy at SS IMO.

I didn't say that I saw the point, I just said that's what I thought they would do. For what it's worth I don't think they view Villar as a SS. 

3 hours ago, Frobby said:

I think I’ll be getting my FA market jollies by watching what becomes of Machado, Jones, Brach, Schoop, Beckham and Joseph, more than seeing who the Orioles acquire.    The Harper bidding should be entertaining as well.    

If the Phillies land both Manny and Harper plus Keuchal, watch out!

Elias will be looking for placeholders. I do like Iglesias, but I don't know if he will come cheaply enough. If he is super cheap, sign me up. 

I think Elias will be taking an infielder in the Rule V -- Martin or Wong. 

I hadn't thought about a really good SS helping increase the value of Bundy, Cobb, Cashner. Makes sense. 

22 minutes ago, interloper said:

No need with Segura, right?

That would depend on the Phillies' thoughts on Hernandez and Franco...and Machado's willingness to play third. Machado would be an upgrade on Franco and Segura's played 2B and could slide over in place of Hernandez.

1 minute ago, Rene88 said:

Any SS likely short term because I will be shocked if we don’t draft Witt.

I'd be mildly surprised if they do draft Witt.  You have Rutschman sitting there at a position of need.  Numerous other highly regarded HS Shortstops are available.  There is also the chance that a helium candidate shows up.

I think Witt's age coupled with questions about his bat will make the Orioles look elsewhere.

You say short term, how quickly do you think Witt could make the majors?

37 minutes ago, Rene88 said:

Any SS likely short term because I will be shocked if we don’t draft Witt.

Wait.  We already have Grenier ....  :leaving:and A Hall  and JCE .

A couple of tweaks from Sig's "magic wand" and Correa may show????

3 hours ago, atomic said:

Exactly.  I see us signing guys for 2 million or less.  I said it before that signing a bunch of next to no cost free agents would make us a better team than we had last year.  

I agree.

I would not be oppose to a small contract for Schoop, to see if he can get back to where he was. It would bridge the gap until they find their next rising star   

11 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

I agree.

I would not be oppose to a small contract for Schoop, to see if he can get back to where he was. It would bridge the gap until they find their next rising star   

They're not signing Schoop for $2M or less. He won't get $10M, but someone will give him $5M or $6M. There's no doubt in my mind. 

8 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

They're not signing Schoop for $2M or less. He won't get $10M, but someone will give him $5M or $6M. There's no doubt in my mind. 

I agree.    A year ago, people were suggesting contracts like 5/$80 mm or 6/$90 mm for Schoop.    He’s not having his annual value cut by 75% because he had one down year.    

Archived