Elias will be active in the free agent market this off season

wildcard

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, section18 said:

Correct me if I'm wrong. Didn't I read on here our payroll is currently around 70 million? It could go lower removing a few still on the roster.  Our opening day last season was around 140 million.  We can easily afford to sign several players for under 10 million and still be 40 million under last season.  The bottom line for the team will be much improved and Elias's star will  continue to shine brightly.

The idea is to go cheap for 3-4 years, building up a new core while stockpiling cash. Then when you are one or two players away from a ring, you get that one piece. That is how Houston did it.

34 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

The idea is to go cheap for 3-4 years, building up a new core while stockpiling cash. Then when you are one or two players away from a ring, you get that one piece. That is how Houston did it.

Eh.  Houston is a pretty sizeable market.  I don't think they really needed to stockpile cash.

6 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

They did, but I don't think it was so they could support a higher payroll six years later.

The Orioles probably won't either. It will mostly be so they can survive the next three. And pay out profits to the partners. It will be real cheap. 70 is not cheap enough. 

6 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

...or who would want to sign with the Orioles. 

It they paid the most money? Sure they would. It's all about the money. Now, more than ever. I've heard baseball players say. "Those rings are nice and all. But the money, your family, that the real deal."

Archived