What was the most exciting offseason move to you?

Frobby

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I’m not going to make the argument that it was a good trade. But I do think that at the time Davis was a pretty elite player.    Basically, injuries took him down.   We didn’t get what we paid for, while the guys we traded maxed out.   

Unless a first baseman is hitting .300 with a .900 OPS you never trade two talented young pitchers and a talented centerfielder for him.  First basemen who can hit are a dime a dozen.  Same reason Chris Davis shouldn't have been offered that big contract.  

If you were getting someone who hit and fielded like Texiera or Eddie Murray yeah then you make the deal not for someone like Glenn Davis.  At the time I said it was the worst trade the Orioles ever made.  I think this is a case of you rationalizing a terrible trade instead of learning from it. 

10 minutes ago, Catch 8 said:

Miguel Tejada 2004 :)  Stunned me!  But bittersweet because we didn't get Guerrero too.

Yeah it would  have been awesome if we got Guerrero too but we still would have been terrible with the runs we were giving up. 

11 minutes ago, atomic said:

Yeah it would  have been awesome if we got Guerrero too but we still would have been terrible with the runs we were giving up. 

The ‘04 pitching staff did pretty well — 7th in ERA and I believe top 3-4 after Ray Miller returned as pitching coach in late June.  But they went downhill thereafter.  

40 minutes ago, atomic said:

Unless a first baseman is hitting .300 with a .900 OPS you never trade two talented young pitchers and a talented centerfielder for him.  First basemen who can hit are a dime a dozen.  Same reason Chris Davis shouldn't have been offered that big contract.  

If you were getting someone who hit and fielded like Texiera or Eddie Murray yeah then you make the deal not for someone like Glenn Davis.  At the time I said it was the worst trade the Orioles ever made.  I think this is a case of you rationalizing a terrible trade instead of learning from it. 

Sure nowadays that holds true, but did it in 1989/1990? I'm not so sure. An argument can be made for Davis being the best 1B in MLB in 1989.

Hands down, Roberto Alomar in the winter of 1995.  He was in my opinion the best player on those incredibly deep and talented Blue Jays champions, he was an extremely clutch October performer, and we were adding him to a 1995 team that despite a slightly under .500 record was very talented on paper.  I thought he would be the difference maker for us and would be the piece that would get us to the playoffs. 

3 hours ago, wildbillhiccup said:

Sure nowadays that holds true, but did it in 1989/1990? I'm not so sure. An argument can be made for Davis being the best 1B in MLB in 1989.

Will Clark had a monster season in 1989 and was only 26. 

7 hours ago, atomic said:

I hated the Glenn Davis trade the day it happened.  Was so angry they traded a young center fielder and two quality young pitchers for a First Baseman who only hit 22 home runs and .251 average the year before.  I thought that was terrible production for a first baseman and you should never trade quality pitchers and centerfielders for a first baseman. 

I was a teenager at the time and it looked like they finally had a replacement for Eddie.

There were selling the average and home run numbers on the Astrodome. Saying a lot of his fly outs would be gone here.

32 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

I was a teenager at the time and it looked like they finally had a replacement for Eddie.

There were selling the average and home run numbers on the Astrodome. Saying a lot of his fly outs would be gone here.

Which was probably true.   And while Davis was not a great hitter for average, he walked a good bit so his OBP was always good.    

Need to remember too that the late 80’s was a down period for home runs.    Despite playing in the Astrodome, Davis finished 2nd, 11th, 2nd and 3rd in homers in the NL from ‘86-‘89, and he probably would have been top 5 in 1990 if he hadn’t gotten hurt and missed about two months.    

3 hours ago, JR Oriole said:

Hands down, Roberto Alomar in the winter of 1995.  He was in my opinion the best player on those incredibly deep and talented Blue Jays champions, he was an extremely clutch October performer, and we were adding him to a 1995 team that despite a slightly under .500 record was very talented on paper.  I thought he would be the difference maker for us and would be the piece that would get us to the playoffs. 

Oooooh....good one.  Can't believe I forgot that one.  Yeah that was right up there with Palmeiro.

Archived