Who is the next O's player to be traded for a prospect and when?

wildcard

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, wildcard said:

His FIPS for 2018 was 2.70.  He is at peak value if he shows he is healthy.

I don’t think anything he does this spring will make him a hot commodity.   Hopefully he shows he’s healthy but it will take into the season for people to see if he’s effective.  

I would guess that Cashner is traded before opening day.  1 year/$8 mill isn't bad for dependable, back end starter, with upside to be middle of the rotation.   I could see the A's being interested.  They have maybe 2 healthy, experienced starters on their roster.  No way does Elias trade Bundy or Cobb at rock bottom prices, which is what they would bring now.

11 hours ago, wildcard said:

Just because they are valuable does not mean they get traded.  None  of them are a peak value this off season because they are coming off poor seasons.    Elias will want to get as much as he can for them.   If he keeps them until the deadline and they play well they will be at peak value.   

Now if another team overwhelms Elias with a offer he is likely to trade them no matter when that happens.  But that is more likely to happen if they are playing well in July then before that time.

However Bleier is coming off two good seasons.  If he shows he is healthy in ST he will be at peak value and Elias will likely trade him before opening day.

They may not be at peak value but they would still bring back more than Bleier. Whether he is traded or not is of marginal import. Probably no major trades until the TD.

7 minutes ago, El Gordo said:

They may not be at peak value but they would still bring back more than Bleier. Whether he is traded or not is of marginal import. Probably no major trades until the TD.

I agree that the return for Bleier will not be earth shaking.  But Elias should want to trade him at his peak value.

If I"m ME, I"m not picking up the phone, only answering it and listening without any motivation to trade anyone yet.  NO ONE's stock is up right now.  Every player mentioned will have the opportunity to raise their stock once they start playing games.  

If a market develops, answer the phone, but it will be a tough call to pull the trigger on anyone unless you are completely blown over by the offer.  However, ME hasn't had a chance to evaluate his players' talent in game situations, apply analytics, or figure out the rapidly changing market for 2019.  

He may look at his current situation with all this potential trade bait and view it as a laboratory/playground for his analytics department.  If he truly loves the challenge of understanding statistics and projecting scenarios, you'd have to think, where will he ever get another scenario like the O"s current one again?  He must be thrilled by the challenge. Coming off a historically bad season, an organization lost at sea without a plan, grasping at veteran fodder to stay afloat after their entire existence was blown apart this past season.  However, those broken pieces (and there's lot of them) could be seen through the eyes of an analytics department as salvageable and, if repaired, valuable and sellable.  

Personally, I'm am most excited to see how Trumbo, Givens, Bleier, Villar, Cobb, Cashner, Bundy, Mancini, Wright, Rickard, and even Davis respond to the O's new plan, as we now have one for once.  These are all the guys with 2+ years of service time; so you have to think if ME keeps these guys on the roster going into the season its because he thinks he can create more value out of them and swing them for something if/when they respond to his new plan.  

I'm excited for the trades, but they aren't coming until the summer.  My guess is Bleier or Givens in late June.  Someone will need a lefty.  If Givens comes out full throttle, someone will need a shutdown guy in the back of their pen too.  Could be a package deal as they are both cheap still.

7 hours ago, wildcard said:

You must think he will bring more in return during ST than at the deadline.   Who knows?

I do. I don't think GIvens is going to be the lock down closer some think. If he's in demand and they can get solid value for him now I would defintitely trade him. 

I'm skeptical any veteran is dealt until the deadline. I think guys like Givens and Bleier have more value in July than in December/January. Relief pitching is at a premium at the deadline. I think Villar is also going to have more value then. Cobb could go, I guess, if the SP market continues to be high (see: Corbin), but I think him displaying his strong second half performance in the first half of 2019 helps buying clubs buy into him a bit more. Cashner, as a rental, could go for a year, but I think even he makes more sense in July.

Archived