Harold Baines.....Lee Smith in Hall of Fame

HOF19

• Replies 474
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Babypowder said:

If you add the value of each of their career together you almost have what I would consider a borderline HOF worthy worthy career. Is that what happened here? Are they going as some sort of half Baines, half Smith creature?

Some sort of Ohtani type monstrosity that DHs and then they bring him in to close?

Ken RosenthalVerified account @Ken_Rosenthal 20m20 minutes ago

Important: Smith and Baines were elected not by @officialBBWAA, but the Today’s Game Era committee, a Veterans Committee. Neither received necessary 75 percent of vote from the writers. Their elections seemingly open door for others, but do not necessarily change BBWAA standards.

1 hour ago, SteveA said:

Now three Hall of Famers from the 94 Orioles, with a couple more possible.

Mark Eichorn?

48 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

I mean what does this mean long term?  I mean you could make a case for probably 100-200 more players if Smith and Baines are good enough. 

More I think about it the more it bothers me.  

It bothers me.  And I loved Baines.  And I think Baines would have gotten in if he'd been able to stay healthy and the '94 Strike doesn't happen.  He gets 3,000 hits, 400, maybe 450 homers (playing partially in an era where 400 homers meant something).  Lee Smith...I'm not really sure, I guess he was one if the first great closers but...I dunno.

15 minutes ago, HOF19 said:

Ken RosenthalVerified account @Ken_Rosenthal 20m20 minutes ago

Important: Smith and Baines were elected not by @officialBBWAA, but the Today’s Game Era committee, a Veterans Committee. Neither received necessary 75 percent of vote from the writers. Their elections seemingly open door for others, but do not necessarily change BBWAA standards.

My favorite baseball writer of all time Ken Rosenthal (looking at you @TonySoprano) makes a good point here, but it's not like these guys are going to get a smaller plaque.  Or they're not going to have a part of their plaque that says "was not elected by @officialBBWAA" 

Part of me gets it, the veterans committee wants to be able to right some wrongs and have a say-so as to who gets in.  I don't necessarily disagree with that but when they start electing guys with a 4.25 career ERA because he was "tough and gritty" and that guy has a plaque in the same building Willie Mays does...it's watered down.

Archived