Harold Baines.....Lee Smith in Hall of Fame

HOF19

• Replies 474
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Can_of_corn said:

I just find the differing mind sets interesting. 

I wonder if Joe is just more private or if he feels that showing how much he gets would discourage others?

Strikes me as a private, humble kinda guy.  

He featured a get together last month, a tour of the Negro League Museum in Kansas City.  Almost considered driving out there.  

3 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Strikes me as a private, humble kinda guy.  

He featured a get together last month, a tour of the Negro League Museum in Kansas City.  Almost considered driving out there.  

He shadowed Joe Paterno for a year. 

Just now, Moose Milligan said:

Pedroia is an all time "I hate that guy, but I'd love it if he was on my team"

Me too.  He was also a standup guy about getting pissed at his own team continuing to throw at Manny after Manny and he tangled up at second and he got spiked.  

I must say, finding out today that Harold Baines has made Cooperstown is surprising, and bittersweet.

I'm not a guy that bashes players because some committee votes them into a Hall of Fame.  I think there's a certain Small Hall mindset among some fans that goes too far - as if these were no longer good players just because.  Baines was a terrific player.  One of the better designated hitters of his day.  And a fine Oriole.  I enjoyed watching him play.

That said, this is another mistake by a "former player" committee.  Baines will rank among the worst in Cooperstown.  He is the first player since... maybe Bill Mazeroski, maybe Jack Morris if you're sour on him... that lowers the bar.  Even Lee Smith has a better HOF case.

It's one of those things where I'd rather have a HOF that's too big, than one that's too small.  I'm certainly going to watch Harold's induction speech!  Congrats.

1 minute ago, 25 Nuggets said:

Indicentally, Baines collected 2866 hits over his long, illustrious career.  Among eligible players, only Rafael Palmeiro (3020), Barry Bonds (2935) and Omar Vizquel (2877) have more.

Vizquel was a compiler. He played until he was 45. He also has no business being in the HOF. If you're going to be a good defensive middle infielder and not hit the gold standard is Ozzie. Vizquel is no Ozzie. 

Archived