Tulo?

interloper

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There will be multiple teams that invite Tulowitzki to Spring Training. No team will guarantee him anything. That being said, he will weigh his options to find his best landing place -- a team that could use a shortstop who starts about four games per week (if he is healthy enough to do so).  It's going to be Troy's choice.

If he performs adequately and stays healthy, he could find himself in a Chase Utley-like, situation either in a mid-season trade or by signing with a competitive team next winter if he demonstrates health and value.

As for the Orioles, the possible value is not about winning percentage. Everybody knows this team will lose 90+ games in 2019, with or without him. Sure, it is possible that paying three or four months of the major league minimum would be a decent gamble if the team believes they may be able to trade him for a valuable prospect. But that is, like I said, a gamble.

It seems more likely to me that, if they do invite him to camp, they may value him as an on-field leader. Adam Jones was that for many players over the past years. Who is that leader in 2019? Who is the great on-field example who is capable of and willing to share his experience with the less mature players? Mark Trumbo, to me, does not seem like the veteran whom the team would believe is capable of guiding rookies and less experienced players. Likewise, Chris Davis seems to me like he is not a clubhouse leader. That leaves Villar as the sole possible mentor of the non-pitcher youngins.

I am not saying Tulowitzki is definitely capable of doing that job, but people with greater insight than I may value Troy Tulowitzki for certain intangible qualities that have nothing to do with wins and losses or potential future trade value. 

My prediction: the Orioles will not sign Tulo.

15 hours ago, wildbillhiccup said:

Teams don't eat $35M unless they're convinced a player is D.O.N.E. The fact that the Jays were willing to eat that salary tells me all I need to know. 

Agree.  If they thought there was even a small possibility he could play they would have at least brought him to spring training to see what he had.  Releasing him now says, they believe he is done. 

13 hours ago, DrungoHazewood said:

Does that apply to contracts where the amount remaining to be eaten would be the largest contract in franchise history?  (I mean, sure it's technically possible to eat any contract.)

I know I haven't been paying a lot of attention lately, but isn't it still true that the 2nd-largest contract in O's history is Miguel Tejada's $72M deal, and they still owe Davis something like $100M?  That's good stuff.

Adam Jones received an $85.5M contract from us.   How soon we forget..........  ;)

Per MLBTraderumors.com, the Orioles were among 11 teams present at Tulo's workout that he held yesterday for interested teams.  Interesting.  Due diligence?  Serious interest?  Waiting to see if his price comes to within range?

The O’s attended his workout yesterday. Could this be one of the ‘veteran presence’ guys we need to bridge the gap until we win? I know he’s injured a lot, but if we can get him cheap to play 3rd..... put some butts in the seats, mentor rookies and maybe we can catch lightning in a bottle for 2 years. What do you all think?

10 minutes ago, NCRaven said:

Per MLBTraderumors.com, the Orioles were among 11 teams present at Tulo's workout that he held yesterday for interested teams.  Interesting.  Due diligence?  Serious interest?  Waiting to see if his price comes to within range?

His price will be the major league minimum, because Toronto still has to pay him and any salary will be credited towards that contract.  

9 minutes ago, Frobby said:

His price will be the major league minimum, because Toronto still has to pay him and any salary will be credited towards that contract.  

This statement seems a bit misleading. Can't teams load up the contract with easily achievable incentives to sweeten the pot? It's really a moot point though because he doesn't make sense for this team and it's been reported his preference is to play for a West Coast team. Much ado about nothing. 

10 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

This statement seems a bit misleading. Can't teams load up the contract with easily achievable incentives to sweeten the pot? It's really a moot point though because he doesn't make sense for this team and it's been reported his preference is to play for a West Coast team. Much ado about nothing. 

I’ve never heard of a situation where a team was able to add incentives to sweeten the pot when another team who had released the player was contractually obligated to pay that player a larger amount than the new team was offering.    If anyone else knows anything to the contrary, please chime in.   

I agree it’s probably a moot point as to Tulo, but I guess we wouldn’t have attended the workout if there was zero interest in him.   

17 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

Perhaps we can merge this with the other Tulo thread so we have only one thread about a player the Orioles will never even consider signing.

OR

OR..............

or..................

Just hear me out.............think about this.............

How about a 3rd thread?

On a more serious note this type of signing does actually make sense for us if:

-he can be signed for super cheap (probably ML minimum right since TOR is still paying I think? )

-he's not blocking anyone

You're gambling that he has a great rebound year and then you can flip him for more parts.   As long as these two conditions are met I'm in favor.

Archived