Hyde: New O’s Manager

Rene88

• Replies 428
  • Created
  • Last Reply
40 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Assuming that Elias has offered Hyde the job, I’m not crazy about him lying about it.    He could simply have said “I already said I wasn’t going to discuss the managerial candidates until we were ready to announce a hiring.    I’m not commenting on rumors.   When someone has been hired, we’ll tell you.”

That's where I am on this.  Maybe Rosenthal and friends are right, but then to say no decision and no offer has been made is a flat out lie.  He could've left it at "too many logistics have to occur."  This is the local beat right now
giphy.gif

Most will not like this but he probably wants to meet with John and Lou when he returns on Thursday or Friday to Baltimore. Just go over the reasons why he chose Hyde and plan the press conference to formally announce his choice on Tuesday or Wednesday.  He didn't expect the Cubs to leak it after Hyde told them. Someone needs to talk to the Cubs and see if they were notified by the Orioles of this decision. Does anyone have any late quotes from the Theo or Maddon? No quotes from Hyde?

27 minutes ago, weams said:

I have no inside info. I believe it is Hyde. I believe that Elias is looking for two hires out of the six. I don't believe you will hear anything from the Os end until contracts are signed. 

I do believe thwy would like to get Mike Bell into the organization.

People don't remember this debacle, caused by Frank Wren's announcement of a deal before it was final. Since then, they have denied every rumored deal until it was absolutely done, including the Adam Jones trade, which AJ spilled the beans on by telling people he was leaving his winter league team because he'd been traded to the O's. That simple statement held up the deal for days. This is what the fuss was, and still is, about.

O's agree to pay Hernandez $1.75 million in grievance

Contract was withdrawn after pitcher failed physical

May 19, 1999|By Joe Strauss | Joe Strauss,SUN STAFF

The Orioles agreed to pay relief pitcher Xavier Hernandez $1.75 million yesterday in order to settle a grievance brought against the club for releasing the former free agent last winter.

Hernandez filed the grievance when the Orioles refused to assume his two-year, $2.75 million contract after a team physical revealed a partial tear of his right rotator cuff.

The club's exposure was $3.2 million -- Hernandez's $2.75 million plus an accompanying $475,000 in luxury tax.

After the first day of hearings, according to Orioles general counsel Russell Smouse, the club decided it could not defend its announcement of the signing even though Hernandez had not yet submitted to a compulsory physical.

"I think it's important for the Orioles and for baseball," Smouse said. "Unfortunately, it became apparent during the hearing itself that the premature announcement of the signing before he took the physical presented us with an insurmountable obstacle."

I'm guessing they have an agreement with Hyde, but not a signed contract. From the O's perspective, until a deal is done, it never happened.

I think we need to take into consideration where the National Media's source is. Let's face it, Hyde is/was employed by the Cubs and should notify them first. Someone in Chicago starts calling their guy and feeding info and it blows all over the airwaves because everyone is in a fight to be the first to leak the story.

Meanwhile, Mike is talking to the press while the story is literally blowing up all around him and he may actually be unaware that Hyde has accepted the job. His first reaction is to put the brakes on any official confirmation because it just wasn't the way he wanted to handle it.

Where there's this much smoke, there's probably fire. We'll get the confirmation when Mike is ready to give it.

4 minutes ago, section18 said:

Most will not like this but he probably wants to meet with John and Lou when he returns on Thursday or Friday to Baltimore. Just go over the reasons why he chose Hyde and plan the press conference to formally announce his choice on Tuesday or Wednesday.  He didn't expect the Cubs to leak it after Hyde told them. Someone needs to talk to the Cubs and see if they were notified by the Orioles of this decision. Does anyone have any late quotes from the Theo or Maddon? No quotes from Hyde?

Ken doubled down that he checked back with his source and they confirmed. Ken also says that Elias told the "beat" reporters no deal yet. 

Archived