Mancini is an average defensive left fielder according to UZR

wildcard

3 hours ago, wildcard said:

Take a look at this and think how long this would affect you.   April 20, 2018.

https://www.mlb.com/orioles/news/trey-mancini-day-to-day-with-injured-knee/c-273130894

If this does not happen in 2019 maybe he can be better.

3 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

I'd say day to day.  

If I thought it would bother me for months I'd ask to go on the dl so I wouldn't hurt the team.

Bothered him so much he posted an .806 OPS over his next 19 games.   

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, wildcard said:

I thought we were talking about defensive range.  Hitting is one thing.  Defense is another.

It’s not easy to hit with a badly hurt knee.    My belief is, he wasn’t hurt that badly and his bad range numbers last year weren’t primarily due to his knee injury.   You are free to believe otherwise. 

12 minutes ago, Frobby said:

It’s not easy to hit with a badly hurt knee.    My belief is, he wasn’t hurt that badly and his bad range numbers last year weren’t primarily due to his knee injury.   You are free to believe otherwise. 

You know better than than that.  We both have watched Adam play on one leg.  Hit on  one leg and it did effect his range but it didn't keep him from going out there day after day.

I hope Mancini is traded before opening day so we don't have to worry about whether he is average or below average. Of course, if he transforms himself into the next JD Martinez this offseason, I would revise that.

I'm fine starting the season with Stewart in LF, Mullins in CF and Rickard in RF, with Hays, Diaz and McKenna coming up when they're ready. No matter who plays out there, we're going to lose a lot of games. Steve Phillips says we will have a tough time winning 40 games. He might be right. So, obsessing over Mancini seems like a waste of time.

Let young guys who are ready for mlb play while the not-ready group does more work in the minors and get rid of everyone else.

7 hours ago, Frobby said:

Certainly.

1 minute ago, mdbdotcom said:

I hope Mancini is traded before opening day so we don't have to worry about whether he is average or below average. Of course, if he transforms himself into the next JD Martinez this offseason, I would revise that.

I'm fine starting the season with Stewart in LF, Mullins in CF and Rickard in RF, with Hays, Diaz and McKenna coming up when they're ready. No matter who plays out there, we're going to lose a lot of games. Steve Phillips says we will have a tough time winning 40 games. He might be right. So, obsessing over Mancini seems like a waste of time.

Let young guys who are ready for mlb play while the not-ready group does more work in the minors and get rid of everyone else.

Obviously JD Martinez is a a bit of a reach, but if there is a player on the team who'd benefit the most from a swing overhaul to lift the ball more, it's Mancini. Villar is also a guy who could benefit, but he doesn't have as much raw power as Mancini to take advantage of.  

1 minute ago, Luke-OH said:

Obviously JD Martinez is a a bit of a reach, but if there is a player on the team who'd benefit the most from a swing overhaul to lift the ball more, it's Mancini. Villar is also a guy who could benefit, but he doesn't have as much raw power as Mancini to take advantage of.  

Yes, and I chose Martinez also because he remade his swing on his own  and was unable to convince the Astros that he was worth keeping, so they released him. Had they not, he wouldn't have had the opportunity to misplay Delmon Young's double in the 2014 Division Series.

Never miss an opportunity to mention an Astros connection.

8 hours ago, wildcard said:

You know better than than that.  We both have watched Adam play on one leg.  Hit on  one leg and it did effect his range but it didn't keep him from going out there day after day.

I am sure if I went back and looked I could find a dozen posts by you attributing drops in his offensive performance to the fact that he was banged up.   I find it surprising that you are arguing now that his various injuries affected his defense but not his offense.   

Archived