Normalcy

Frobby

Watching the Elias and Hyde press conferences and interviews the last few weeks, I’m very excited, and one of the things that excites me is....normalcy.   

We have a GM who is personable, well liked and on the cutting edge.   He communicates very well.   He’s made it very clear that he prioritizes having everyone on the same page.    And now, we have a manager that the GM hand-picked, who is seen as an extension of the front office, and very much appears to be on the same page as the guy who hired him.   

And yes, that should be par for the course in a major league organization.   But it hasn’t been the case here, and I’m happy and frankly relieved that we finally have a “normal” organization.    And I hope, headed for outstanding.   

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Watching the Elias and Hyde press conferences and interviews the last few weeks, I’m very excited, and one of the things that excites me is....normalcy.   

We have a GM who is personable, well liked and on the cutting edge.   He communicates very well.   He’s made it very clear that he prioritizes having everyone on the same page.    And now, we have a manager that the GM hand-picked, who is seen as an extension of the front office, and very much appears to be on the same page as the guy who hired him.   

And yes, that should be par for the course in a major league organization.   But it hasn’t been the case here, and I’m happy and frankly relieved that we finally have a “normal” organization.    And I hope, headed for outstanding.   

This is called the norm.Get back to me in three years. 

It is refreshing to have a GM in charge who has a plan and a vision that is supported by ownership. It’s nice to see ownership finally take a back seat. I believe for years that ownership has had the mindset that they had to spend money on guys CD and others to show a commitment to fans put butts in the seats. Hopefully now we won’t try to appease a fan base by making decisions that are detrimental to our long term success and I believe by doing so in the not so far future we will begging to consistently win more games than we lose and it will be sustainable for years to come.

6 minutes ago, jrobb21613 said:

It is refreshing to have a GM in charge who has a plan and a vision that is supported by ownership. It’s nice to see ownership finally take a back seat. I believe for years that ownership has had the mindset that they had to spend money on guys CD and others to show a commitment to fans put butts in the seats. Hopefully now we won’t try to appease a fan base by making decisions that are detrimental to our long term success and I believe by doing so in the not so far future we will begging to consistently win more games than we lose and it will be sustainable for years to come.

We all hope so, but there has yet to be the first controversial decision made, so I am holding off on assessing the ownership back seat taking just yet.  Let’s see as the Davis situation unfolds this season and the trades of any veterans are put out there and proposed and the losses continue to pile up and attendance falls off as to where ownership support is. Hopefully it will not become an issue.  Brady remains too, of course.   Just to make sure...

I have much less concern about Brady knowing how much Elias and Hyde have talked about "being on the same page" and "collaboration". There's simply not going to be a lot of room to back channel at this point and work with a player without the pitching coach knowing, etc.

And if he does? I don't think that's going to fly. 

I'm in the hopeful, but I'll reserve judgement camp.  I really like the Elias hire and Hyde seems like a great choice as manager.  As a kid brought up on 1970's and 1980's Orioles baseball, the drama that has engulfed this club since the Angelos purchase, has been heart rending.  I love my team, but geez-Louise, the double talk, deception, and clandestine back room dealings and internal distrust are not something I'm going to either forgive or forget easily.  I fell like the Angeolsii might finally be on the verge of getting that they are owners not baseball people.

34 minutes ago, interloper said:

I have much less concern about Brady knowing how much Elias and Hyde have talked about "being on the same page" and "collaboration". There's simply not going to be a lot of room to back channel at this point and work with a player without the pitching coach knowing, etc.

And if he does? I don't think that's going to fly. 

John and Lou have known Brady much longer than they have known Mike and Sig.  An  opinion, here and there, directly given from their long time Oriole favorite?? What could that hurt, right?  I mean all in the interest of the team and the organization going forward...we shall see.  I will remain optimistic, but I am on record as saying I think this will never work. 

What I saw today was the stark difference between Buck and Brandon.   Buck always seem comfortable in the manager's role.   He should be.  It was his third ML gig.  Brandon seems very, very grateful for the opportunity.   He speaks well.  Sound like he will give it his all.  He will be on  the same page as the GM.

Mike Elias is much smoother than Dan Duquette.   Buck is much smoother than Brandon.

Listening to Brandon it hit me how far the O's have to go.  I knew it but the interview made it real.

I think Brandon will do well in being patient, teaching,  managing the young players and keeping in step with the front office and the analytics department.   I look forward to seeing who his coaches will be.  And how the team comes together in ST.

2 minutes ago, wildcard said:

What I saw today was the stark difference between Buck and Brandon.   Buck always seem comfortable in the manager's role.   He should be.  It was his third ML gig.  Brandon seems very, very grateful for the opportunity.   He speaks well.  Sound like he will give it his all.  He will be on  the same page as the GM.

Mike Elias is much smoother than Dan Duquette.   Buck is much smoother than Brandon.

Listening to Brandon it hit me how far the O's have to go.  I knew it but the interview made it real.

I think Brandon will do well in being patient, teaching,  managing the young players and keeping in step with the front office and the analytics department.   I look forward to seeing who his coaches will be.  And how the team comes together in ST.

It will be interesting to see the length of the managerial deal, if we are allowed to.  And whether the plan is, as some have said, to have one manager for the first and worst parts of the rebuild and another for the run to the top in three years or so...or whether Mike has thought about that idea in those terms at all or sees this hire as a long term commitment.  

50 minutes ago, drjohnnyfeva said:

I'm in the hopeful, but I'll reserve judgement camp.  I really like the Elias hire and Hyde seems like a great choice as manager.  As a kid brought up on 1970's and 1980's Orioles baseball, the drama that has engulfed this club since the Angelos purchase, has been heart rending.  I love my team, but geez-Louise, the double talk, deception, and clandestine back room dealings and internal distrust are not something I'm going to either forgive or forget easily.  I fell like the Angeolsii might finally be on the verge of getting that they are owners not baseball people.

It just tells me that the sons are now in charge. I don't want to say smarter than the old man but more practical and progressive. The old man was old and set in his ways. Sons seem to have seen his mistakes and learned. Exhibit A, they were completely out of the manager interviews.

Archived