Adam Jones to Queens?

weams

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Back to Adam, I was looking at his batted ball data yesterday to try to understand if his drop in homers was a fluke or dictated by deterioration in ability.   Bottom line, I think it was mostly a fluke.   No huge change in his FB/GB ratio, average length of hit was actually up, strikeout rate actually a little down.    His pull rate was a little down, which probably explains why he tied his career high in doubles while having his HR/FB rate drop pretty precipitously.   His BA and OBP were typical Adam Jones.   My guess is his HR rate will be back in the usual range next year, with the caveat that if he’s playing somewhere like Citi Field instead of OPACY, it won’t bounce all the way back.    

4 hours ago, Dark Helmet said:

I would say the Mets are worse off than the Orioles.  Had a chance this off-season to realize they aren't close. They made a couple of blah trades and signed an agent for a GM. Their ownership unlike the Orioles, haven't accepted change. 

Same for the Reds. A 67 win team shouldn't be trading 2 top 20 prospects for expensive players that won't make them much better in the long run 

Nor should the Reds be taking salary. That trade is a real head scratcher. 

7 hours ago, Dark Helmet said:

I would say the Mets are worse off than the Orioles.  Had a chance this off-season to realize they aren't close. They made a couple of blah trades and signed an agent for a GM. Their ownership unlike the Orioles, haven't accepted change. 

Same for the Reds. A 67 win team shouldn't be trading 2 top 20 prospects for expensive players that won't make them much better in the long run 

I don't know what world you live in but 67 wins is a lot better than 47 wins.  And the Reds were a lot better after they fired their manager.  47 wins is pathetic.  The team was so bad last year most everyone on this board stop watching them.  Really the team the Orioles closed the season with wouldn't have been a champion I'm AAA.   

And the Mets had 77 wins. They are closer to the Astros than the Orioles.  

On 12/20/2018 at 7:32 PM, OFFNY said:

o

If the Mets do sign him, I suspect that Jones will DH in at least 9 or 10 out of the 20 interleague games that the Mets will be playing in 2019.

o

On 12/21/2018 at 6:58 AM, jerios55 said:

Well, 10 of 162 is~ 6%, so yeah, not too much.  Haha

So...your looking at it wrong.  You're right....but that is still half of the DH games. ;) 

19 minutes ago, foxfield said:

So...your looking at it wrong.  You're right....but that is still half of the DH games. ;) 

Actually, if they play 20 interleague games, 10 would be all of the DH games, since there is no DH when the NL team is at home.

1 hour ago, Moose Milligan said:

Am I the only one who doesn't care where he winds up?  I love Jones, I hope he continues to play well for a few more years and gets to play for a winner but I don't care where that is.

Probably so. I love the guy and hope he gets a few more years in the sun. Build up those counting stats and get in the Hall like Baines. 

6 hours ago, waroriole said:

Probably so. I love the guy and hope he gets a few more years in the sun. Build up those counting stats and get in the Hall like Baines. 

Even though Baines got in, I have a hard time seeing how Jones gets in.  Even if they end up with the same amount of WAR.  Baines was a better hitter.  And Baines' counting stats are hurt by two player strikes and injuries.  If there are no strikes in '81 and '94-'95 and he stays somewhat healthy, he cruises past 3,000 hits and 400+ home runs.  

It's a lot of speculation but even if Baines DID reach those numbers I think he'd be the first guy to reach those numbers and not get elected without any PED taint on him.  As much as I love Jones, the HoF would truly be a sham if he ever got elected.

51 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Even though Baines got in, I have a hard time seeing how Jones gets in.  Even if they end up with the same amount of WAR.  Baines was a better hitter.  And Baines' counting stats are hurt by two player strikes and injuries.  If there are no strikes in '81 and '94-'95 and he stays somewhat healthy, he cruises past 3,000 hits and 400+ home runs.  

It's a lot of speculation but even if Baines DID reach those numbers I think he'd be the first guy to reach those numbers and not get elected without any PED taint on him.  As much as I love Jones, the HoF would truly be a sham if he ever got elected.

Interestingly, Jones has 4 more hits than Baines did through his age 32 season.   But I doubt he’ll have the longevity Baines did.   

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

Interestingly, Jones has 4 more hits than Baines did through his age 32 season.   But I doubt he’ll have the longevity Baines did.   

Never would have guessed that.  But I agree, Baines had the OBP skills to make him a good DH for years.  Jones won't ever be looked at as a DH option.

Archived