Orioles Hangout Pilot Web TV show

Tony-OH

We shot this back in November while just trying some things out and thought we'd go ahead and put this out. It's a little dated when it comes to the Elias discussion, but we then go into our main focus which is Orioles prospects. 

This was just a bare bones runs through so if it goes over well our hope is to do one of these a month next season starting with a spring training preview show in February. 

We broke this down into three episodes and covered the top ten pretty thoroughly and then went into the 11-30 guys a bit. Again, this was more of a give it a whirl and see how it comes out and I guess we think he came out well enough to share.

We tried to have some fun with this and if you listen to Terry Ford it's hard not to have some fun. Let us know what you think. What would you like us to add in the future? We thought about adding some videos of the prospects we're talking about and perhaps some interviews with prospects/coaches like I've done in the past.

Either way, let us know what you think, even it's to say how bad I was! haha. Thanks To Gregg Landry (Blue rock Productions) for producing this and of course to my co-host Terry Ford!

Part one

Part two

Part three

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I watched the entire thing and thought it was spectacular.    First of all, the presentation was extremely smooth and relaxed.   I don’t know how much you and Terry reviewed the questions in advance, but I thought his questions showed a really good knowledge of our system and your answers were really detailed and not just rote responses.   The rapport between the two of you was excellent and the pacing was really good.   You gave ample time to each of the top 10 prospects and gave insights into them — particularly in terms of makeup and comments from scouts and people in the Orioles organization — that complemented what OH has previously published in its top prospects list and Luke’s separate breakdowns.    I was skeptical I’d hear much I hadn’t heard before, but I definitely learned a lot from watching this.   It was a lot of fun and one of the best things OH has ever done IMO.    Kudos to you and Terry for putting together such an excellent program, and I’m really looking forward to seeing more of these.   

I’ll post a few nitpicks in another post, but didn’t want to distract from my overall reaction.   Fantastic job, Tony.   

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

I watched the entire thing and thought it was spectacular.    First of all, the presentation was extremely smooth and relaxed.   I don’t know how much you and Terry reviewed the questions in advance, but I thought his questions showed a really good knowledge of our system and your answers were really detailed and not just rote responses.   The rapport between the two of you was excellent and the pacing was really good.   You gave ample time to each of the top 10 prospects and gave insights into them — particularly in terms of makeup and comments from scouts and people in the Orioles organization — that complemented what OH has previously published in its top prospects list and Luke’s separate breakdowns.    I was skeptical I’d hear much I hadn’t heard before, but I definitely learned a lot from watching this.   It was a lot of fun and one of the best things OH has ever done IMO.    Kudos to you and Terry for putting together such an excellent program, and I’m really looking forward to seeing more of these.   

I’ll post a few nitpicks in another post, but didn’t want to distract from my overall reaction.   Fantastic job, Tony.   

Wow, thanks Rick. Thanks for the feedback and kind words.

We actually just winged it. All I told Terry was we would talk about our top 30 prospects and might as well discuss Elias' hiring as well. Terry is very knowledgeable about the system and we've done many radio segments together so I knew he would be a great fit to do the show.

OK, now for my few criticisms, bearing in mind that my overall grade is A+.

1.    Not enough time was spent on the 11-20 prospects.   To my recollection, the only two who got covered at all were Tate and Adam Hall, nos. 17 and 19 on the list.    Meanwhile, much more time was spent on 21-30, with Wells, Encarnacion, Grenier, Stewart, Carmona and Carroll all getting significant attention.    If there are more episodes to come, I’d love to hear more about the 11-20 guys.

2.   Brenan Hanifee was talked up as a 19-year old, but in fact he turned 20 on May 29 and so his baseball age was 20 last year.   He’s still a very good prospect, just not as young as he was made out to be.

3.    (And now I’m just into personal disagreements.)   Mike Mussina wasn’t a no. 1 starter?    Come on, Tony!    OK, he’s not Randy Johnson or Pedro Martinez and he’s not a first-ballot Hall of Famer.     Still, this is a guy who was in the top 6 for the Cy Young award in 8 different seasons, and will eventually be in the Hall of Fame (maybe even this year).    Any definition of a no. 1 starter that excludes Mussina is too strict for me!

4.    I was a bit surprised at your suggestion that DL Hall was a better prospect at 19 than Dylan Bundy.    That felt like 20/20 hindsight to me.    Hall was very good at Delmarva, but Bundy literally toyed with the hitters there, before pitching well at Frederick and Bowie and even getting a couple major league outings, all before he turned 20.    I’ll accept your critique that Bundy didn’t hold his velocity as well and his fastball is straighter, but he dominated that year and never even used his best pitch.    To me, Bundy’s injuries at age 20 and later have set him back, but if we’re talking solely about who was the better prospect at 19, to me it has to be Bundy.   

That’s all I’ve got.    As I said, A+ for this show.   Here are a couple of ideas for future episodes;

1.    I’d love to see you and Luke pick out the five prospects you disagree about the most strongly and debate their merits.   By the way, great job giving Luke credit for helping you with the list.   

2.    In addition to getting back into the 11-20 guys a little more, it might be nice to spotlight the guys we think will debut in the majors in 2019.

Great stuff, and keep it coming!

13 minutes ago, Frobby said:

OK, now for my few criticisms, bearing in mind that my overall grade is A+.

1.    Not enough time was spent on the 11-20 prospects.   To my recollection, the only two who got covered at all were Tate and Adam Hall, nos. 17 and 19 on the list.    Meanwhile, much more time was spent on 21-30, with Wells, Encarnacion, Grenier, Stewart, Carmona and Carroll all getting significant attention.    If there are more episodes to come, I’d love to hear more about the 11-20 guys.

2.   Brenan Hanifee was talked up as a 19-year old, but in fact he turned 20 on May 29 and so his baseball age was 20 last year.   He’s still a very good prospect, just not as young as he was made out to be.

3.    (And now I’m just into personal disagreements.)   Mike Mussina wasn’t a no. 1 starter?    Come on, Tony!    OK, he’s not Randy Johnson or Pedro Martinez and he’s not a first-ballot Hall of Famer.     Still, this is a guy who was in the top 6 for the Cy Young award in 8 different seasons, and will eventually be in the Hall of Fame (maybe even this year).    Any definition of a no. 1 starter that excludes Mussina is too strict for me!

4.    I was a bit surprised at your suggestion that DL Hall was a better prospect at 19 than Dylan Bundy.    That felt like 20/20 hindsight to me.    Hall was very good at Delmarva, but Bundy literally toyed with the hitters there, before pitching well at Frederick and Bowie and even getting a couple major league outings, all before he turned 20.    I’ll accept your critique that Bundy didn’t hold his velocity as well and his fastball is straighter, but he dominated that year and never even used his best pitch.    To me, Bundy’s injuries at age 20 and later have set him back, but if we’re talking solely about who was the better prospect at 19, to me it has to be Bundy.   

That’s all I’ve got.    As I said, A+ for this show.   Here are a couple of ideas for future episodes;

1.    I’d love to see you and Luke pick out the five prospects you disagree about the most strongly and debate their merits.   By the way, great job giving Luke credit for helping you with the list.   

2.    In addition to getting back into the 11-20 guys a little more, it might be nice to spotlight the guys we think will debut in the majors in 2019.

Great stuff, and keep it coming!

I'd like to see segments with coaches from the different levels including roving coaches from the system that could be call in or live discussion. 

Bundy was a man among boys at the Frederick level. 

I enjoy any orioles discussion and Tony was informative and entertaining. Liked the side story about Diaz and his minor attitude hiccup due to being traded for Manny.

However, Tom was just ok as a complementary side kick - not much insight, just there to setup questions and throw out chessy jokes. Maybe have a female counterpart like Brittany G instead.

2 minutes ago, cman.dc said:

I enjoy any orioles discussion and Tony was informative and entertaining. Liked the side story about Diaz and his minor attitude hiccup due to being traded for Manny.

However, Tom was just ok as a complementary side kick - not much insight, just there to setup questions and throw out chessy jokes. Maybe have a female counterpart like Brittany G instead.

Britt G. has gone over to the Dark Side.    (She is covering the Nats for The Athletic now.)

Archived