Response to Roch's Jan 1st blog on O's moves

wildcard

18 minutes ago, Bradysburns said:

From what I gather, Stewart is a significantly better runner/fielder than he looks. He's a good base stealer, too, for example. Crazy. But he could be okay in the outfield for a season or so. However, I want elite out there. So I'm hoping he eventually finds his proper role, which is the modern-day, late-career Pete Incaviglia. 

2 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Here are Stewart's grades from Orioles.com

Scouting grades: Hit: 50 | Power: 45 | Run: 50 | Arm: 40 | Field: 45 | Overall: 45

That shows a significant below average arm, average speed and below average fielding.   Not a right fielder IMO.  He is rated as the O's 23rd prospect for good reasons.

He "runs well for a fat guy." There was a reason he was a 20/20 guy in Bowie, but it doesn't translate to the field for some reason.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
46 minutes ago, foxfield said:

It seems to me that Roch still is looking for his voice within the new organization.  Maybe he simply isn't getting much at all in the way of info.  Either way, I appreciate his efforts and I hope the new guys will eventually get him plugged in....

There hasn’t been a lot of day-to-day news the last couple of months for Roch (or anyone else) to write about, outside of the signings of Elias, Mejdal, Hyde and the two coaches.    So Roch is really stretching for something to say.    He’s managed to eke 3-5 blog posts out of each press conference or interview, dribbled out over several days.    

55 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

I'd be fine with them signing any starting pitchers as long as it's only on a 1 year deal. Same with a SS. I completely understand that the team need to try walk the line between fielding a competitive team (i.e., selling tickets) and rebuilding, but I don't want them be handcuffed by any multi-year deals. To me that's the key. 

It's hard for me to fathom any one or two contracts actually paying for themselves in terms of ticket sales, memorabilia or viewership. Elias would have to find some genuinely undervalued talent to make it worth it.

If this team actually does become competitive, it's because he and his guys are somehow able to squeeze more juice from the 40 man roster. That improvement would likely have to come a little bit from just about every type of adjustment you think you can make (e.g., openers instead of starters, smarter use/match-ups of all pitchers, plate approach improvements, swing plane, better advance scouting/data, better defense/alignments, unexpected players emerging). Even with all of that, it takes real talent to win, particularly in the AL East with 3 90+ win teams and a fourth that has a couple of stud prospects on the way.

On 1/1/2019 at 10:37 AM, scOtt said:

I agree with you on #3, unless you can get someone very cheap and late. Like as ST starts late. We aren't doing anything this year. Spend the money on scouts and infrastructure and Latin American facilities and all the like. Plus we really could use that #1 pick again next year.

I also agree on #3.

2 hours ago, foxfield said:

Roch seems to be following the old days as the voice of Buck. For what it is worth, there are really no Orioles from last years team I would be overly eager to resign.  That said, I'm not opposed to anyone specifically either.  I just don't think it is important to bring anyone back when what you are trying to do is change a system.  

I do agree with Villar at second.  I wouldn't sign a pitcher unless it was a deal too good to pass up, I just don't see it happening. His comments on Yac are fair, and honestly he is right on Wright too.  Find a use for him or can him.  I also think the new team will have no problem making this assessment.

Davis...well, work with him, give him data, whatever.  The likelihood is that he has simply declined as is no longer capable.  The Orioles won't win in 19 or 20 so if Davis were to somehow bounce back, then his being in the lineup is easily justified.  The real challenge is what to do if Davis is simply what he has been the last two seasons.  It will be difficult for a new manager and GM to justify playing Davis if he isn't worthy.  The tightrope of giving him a chance to merely be replacement level and undermining a new regime is very likely to become an issue in 2019.  I hope it isn't, but I think it will.

I like Bobby Dickerson and would be thrilled if the O's retained him.  But it seems a little weird that Roch continues to lobby so hard for him.  A little...

It seems to me that Roch still is looking for his voice within the new organization.  Maybe he simply isn't getting much at all in the way of info.  Either way, I appreciate his efforts and I hope the new guys will eventually get him plugged in....

I don't know, but if I were Roch, I'd be looking over my shoulder for a 26 year old that will be the voice of Orioles MASN in a year or two. 

10 minutes ago, weams said:

I don't know, but if I were Roch, I'd be looking over my shoulder for a 26 year old that will be the voice of Orioles MASN in a year or two. 

Journalism is cut throat. I hope Roch doesn't get chewed up the way others have. I think he's a good guy and a company man. I'd keep him on if I were MASN.

52 minutes ago, LookinUp said:

Journalism is cut throat. I hope Roch doesn't get chewed up the way others have. I think he's a good guy and a company man. I'd keep him on if I were MASN.

I'd replace him with a 22 year old that could also run the team Twitter and Instagram accounts.

Maybe someone without the anger issues.

46 minutes ago, LookinUp said:

He has a big following, so I doubt they’re in any hurry to push him out the door.   

58 minutes ago, LookinUp said:

I think that the die is cast and all of the MASN folks need to be making allowances for their next journey. 

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

I'd replace him with a 22 year old that could also run the team Twitter and Instagram accounts.

Maybe someone without the anger issues.

I remember the former Skins beat writer Rich Tandler snapping at me on twitter once. Then I noticed him snap at others. Then he passed away and the universal outcry about how great of a guy he was struck me as particularly sincere. I mean everyone apparently loved that guy...but he snapped at me on the internet.

I think jobs like Roch's are harder than we give them credit for. If he uses an advanced stat to describe a player, a certain segment will tell him he doesn't know the real game and call him stupid. If he doesn't use that stat, another segment will tell him to get with the times and call him stupid. If he doesn't break a story, he gets beat up for sitting on company information. If he does break a story too early, his job could be in jeopardy, all in an industry with much greater professional supply than demand. 

I think it's harder than it looks and that comes through from a lot of reporters. Not just Roch. 

The Twitter/Instagram thing should definitely happen though. Lol.

2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

He has a big following, so I doubt they’re in any hurry to push him out the door.   

I can't imagine that it would really matter. Plus, he is a real journalist. I expect he does get paid. 

It's not like he is Mike Royko or something. 

1 minute ago, LookinUp said:

I remember the former Skins beat writer Rich Tandler snapping at me on twitter once. Then I noticed him snap at others. Then he passed away and the universal outcry about how great of a guy he was struck me as particularly sincere. I mean everyone apparently loved that guy...but he snapped at me on the internet.

I think jobs like Roch's are harder than we give them credit for. If he uses an advanced stat to describe a player, a certain segment will tell him he doesn't know the real game and call him stupid. If he doesn't use that stat, another segment will tell him to get with the times and call him stupid. If he doesn't break a story, he gets beat up for sitting on company information. If he does break a story too early, his job could be in jeopardy, all in an industry with much greater professional supply than demand. 

I think it's harder than it looks and that comes through from a lot of reporters. Not just Roch. 

The Twitter/Instagram thing should definitely happen though. Lol.

You get someone young, snarky and in touch with current memes and your social media can blow up past just baseball.

Look what the stat has done with Mr Trash Wheel.

Archived