Latest on the international market (Perez conf. call)

interloper

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
45 minutes ago, interloper said:

Then don't complain when we don't use all that money to sign players this year! If it truly can be rerouted at Elias says, then we have a nice nest egg of some $5 or 6 million to pump into something he deems worthwhile, which is exciting.

Still six months left in the year.

37 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Still six months left in the year.

“Typically, a player appearing right now might be from the Cuban market or the Asian market specifically, so we’ll keep an eye on that,” Elias said. “But the reality is, the way that the Latin American market works with July 2 is that the process to sign these players begins years in advance of the July 2 date, so with July 2, 2018 having come and gone, a huge, huge majority of the players available on that signing period are long spoken for."

http://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2019/01/elias-and-perez-address-the-media.html

This feels particularly important to how we understand why exactly we failed to sign the big three. Put simply, we entered the game too late. Money means nothing when the other teams spent years cultivating and building to July 2, 2018. 

9 minutes ago, interloper said:

“Typically, a player appearing right now might be from the Cuban market or the Asian market specifically, so we’ll keep an eye on that,” Elias said. “But the reality is, the way that the Latin American market works with July 2 is that the process to sign these players begins years in advance of the July 2 date, so with July 2, 2018 having come and gone, a huge, huge majority of the players available on that signing period are long spoken for."

This feels particularly important to how we understand why exactly we failed to sign the big three. Put simply, we entered the game too late. Money means nothing when the other teams spent years cultivating and building to July 2, 2018. 

I understand all of that.  I'd rather sandbag it at this point and risk losing it than trade it for players like Zoellner.

As for not signing the "big three" I think most of that was due to the other teams offering more money.  The O's got outbid by the Marlins and the Rays.  Cuba doesn't have an infrastructure like say the Dominican Republic does.  I don't think any team has a big presence in Cuba.

Do we know how much slot money was spent on Jackson?

44 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I understand all of that.  I'd rather sandbag it at this point and risk losing it than trade it for players like Zoellner.

As for not signing the "big three" I think most of that was due to the other teams offering more money.  The O's got outbid by the Marlins and the Rays.  Cuba doesn't have an infrastructure like say the Dominican Republic does.  I don't think any team has a big presence in Cuba.

Do we know how much slot money was spent on Jackson?

Sounds like Elias is saying no amount of money would have helped. They were spoken for.

4 minutes ago, interloper said:

Sounds like Elias is saying no amount of money would have helped. They were spoken for.

Gaston signed for 2.61M, are you saying that if the O's has offered every penny they had (Which I would not have been in favor of) he would have turned it down?

Elias wasn't working for the O's at the time.

What we have heard, from Roch, is that the O's never made the largest offer.  Even if they turn it down, how do you not take the shot?  Make them turn down more money.  Pretty easy to turn down less money.

1 hour ago, interloper said:

Uh, right. Not sure what sportsfan is talking about here.

2018 international market is over. Trezza is out of touch. Who are the three top international prospects he is talking about?  The younger Mesa was not viewed as a “top prospect”. Of course Elias isn’t just going to throw our slot money from 2018 at just any player, but no player is just going to pop up. The next time players will be available will be in 2019. By that time the international money will be reset for all clubs. 

Like I said, Trezza seems way out of touch here. 

Just now, sportsfan8703 said:

2018 international market is over. Trezza is out of touch. Who are the three top international prospects he is talking about?  The younger Mesa was not viewed as a “top prospect”. Of course Elias isn’t just going to throw our slot money from 2018 at just any player, but no player is just going to pop up. The next time players will be available will be in 2019. By that time the international money will be reset for all clubs. 

Kinda hard to say that with Cuba always in play and the situation with Mexico.

1 minute ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I think he's just asking what they plan to do with the money...?

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Gaston signed for 2.61M, are you saying that if the O's has offered every penny they had (Which I would not have been in favor of) he would have turned it down?

Elias wasn't working for the O's at the time.

What we have heard, from Roch, is that the O's never made the largest offer.  Even if they turn it down, how do you not take the shot?  Make them turn down more money.  Pretty easy to turn down less money.

Dunno! Not our or Mike's problem though. Sounds like even if we did, it may not have mattered. Don't know why they didn't. 

5 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Key word 2018 international Free Agents. Everyone knows all the players that were eligible for the 2018 have already signed with clubs. So Joe Trezza is kind of out of it. Plus it’s 2019 and Elias should be talking about spending when that period opens up. Seems like Elias dodged that question a little or just a stupid question. 

Trezza is one of our best writers and doesn’t understand this. That’s sad. 

How is he a better writer than Connolly, Dubroff or Meoli?

12 minutes ago, weams said:

How is he a better writer than Connolly, Dubroff or Meoli?

He said one of the best writers.  He didn't say better than those guys!  I mean he could have meant top 50.  It's not like he lifted Dempsey's line about being one of the best of his era..... ;) 

2 minutes ago, foxfield said:

He said one of the best writers.  He didn't say better than those guys!  I mean he could have meant top 50.  It's not like he lifted Dempsey's line about being one of the best of his era..... ;) 

He is a better writer than Dempsey. 

6 hours ago, interloper said:

Then don't complain when we don't use all that money to sign players this year! If it truly can be rerouted at Elias says, then we have a nice nest egg of some $5 or 6 million to pump into something he deems worthwhile, which is exciting.

Your post assumes the O’s have 5 or 6 million earmarked for international spending that will be used elsewhere. The bonus money is just an opportunity to spend, not actual money. The O’s could choose to sign no one and spend none of it. I don’t think Elias committed to spending that amount of money elsewhere. 

Archived