Interesting FAs

wildcard

• Replies 448
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, ScGO's said:

no worse than Stewart, Mancini, or Rickard

Rickard has a better arm.  He just doesn't hit right-handed pitching very well.  If Elias is going to add a right fielder I would think he wants a guy that is better than those three.  Being no worse doesn't really gain anything.

2 hours ago, wildcard said:

Rickard has a better arm.  He just doesn't hit right-handed pitching very well.  If Elias is going to add a right fielder I would think he wants a guy that is better than those three.  Being no worse doesn't really gain anything.

I mean his arm was no worse.  His speed, defense, and even his offensive potential would be better.  He's always been an interesting player to me.  Shown flashes a few times.  Could be a late bloomer. Wouldn't be surprised to see him steal 30+ bases, hit 15+ HRs, and put up a .750 OPS with good D if given a starting role in RF.  He could shift to LF if Mancini moves to 1B (lets be realistic, if after a month, Davis looks like he did last year, he'll be out), or even CF if Mullins struggles.  We don't have any CF depth really. 

22 hours ago, wildcard said:

A national media reporter laying out Adam's situation.  If he falls to 1/3m and will waive his 10/5 rights the O's should sign him.  He is better than Stewart, Rickard or Yaz in right field. And he can be traded at the deadline if he has a good season.  This would delay Hays' service clock which would be a good thing for a team that will likely be under .500 in 2019.

I agree. Especially considering the vet min. is around 600k. So you could have Jones in RF for only $2.4ish million more than a rotation of vets. 

This FA period has to have shown him the realism that he’s basically going to finish his career on one year deals and bounce around. Playing in Baltimore would allow him to be at his “home” through July. Then only be gone for two months. It might be a good transition decision for all parties involved. 

29 minutes ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

Stewart, Hays, Diaz, hell, even the chance at Yaz or McKenna.

Can we all move on from the love fest of Adam Jones?

We can move on when posters stop insinuating AJ is somehow going to take AB's from Hays/Diaz/Yaz/McKenna this year. None of those players will be up here before August/September and Yaz is an AAAA player at best so your premise is illogical.  IF Jones would swallow his ego (1/3) I certainly think a platoon with Stewart is certainly fine for this year in RF. Let's stop acting like it's the end of the world if Jones re-signs for a year, he's not really blocking anyone from PT this year. 

If Hays/Diaz both prove by August they've earned a promotion then awesome, Jones can sit or maybe be traded for a bag of balls, This year is all about Elias figuring out what we have talent wise, not making a WC game.

1 minute ago, terphoopsfan said:

We can move on when posters stop insinuating AJ is somehow going to take AB's from Hays/Diaz/Yaz/McKenna this year. None of those players will be up here before August/September and Yaz is an AAAA player at best so your premise is illogical.  IF Jones would swallow his ego (1/3) I certainly think a platoon with Stewart is certainly fine for this year in RF. Let's stop acting like it's the end of the world if Jones re-signs for a year, he's not really blocking anyone from PT this year. 

If Hays/Diaz both prove by August they've earned a promotion then awesome, Jones can sit or maybe be traded for a bag of balls, This year is all about Elias figuring out what we have talent wise, not making a WC game.

We can move on when people stop obsessing over an old, breaking down, "should of been moved from center before August of last year because his speed was declining," "still swings at pitches that are 5 feet away from the plate" player.

Jones didn't want to waive his rights last season to go to Philly, a team he actually COULD of helped instead of being a big fish in a small pond. What makes anyone think he would waive his rights this year, especially since he cited "family reasons" for not waiving them?

Think what you want about Yaz, Hays, Diaz, and McKenna. Yaz, with the new group, could be in Baltimore. Hays could be in Baltimore to start the season if he shows he is healthy. Diaz and McKenna won't start in Baltimore, ok. But why have Jones come to just platoon with Stewart? This season is "sink or swim" for players. Let them play.

Jones had a great run here, but time to move on.

15 minutes ago, terphoopsfan said:

We don't know that.

We don't have any guideline to go off for how Elias is going to do this.

We just don't.

I wish folks would stop acting like we do.

I'm also curious why you think Stewart needs a platoon partner. 

43 minutes ago, terphoopsfan said:

I agree with most of this.  I could have written some of it.

Stewart and Jones can't platoon because Jones would get about 200 at bats.   Stewart is not a right fielder.  He belongs in left whenever that position opens up.   

Jones would be in right  because he is better there than Rickard, Stewart or Yaz there when considering offense and defense.  Why is it important to be better.   Because the O's want their pitching to be better.    So some of the pitchers can be traded and some of them will get better for the O's.  Jones  helps do that.  Especially with Mancini's limited range  in left.   They need more range and arm in right.

Archived