Interesting FAs

wildcard

Just now, Moose Milligan said:

I am *so* enthralled to see if they can make his spin rate better.  

Sarcasm aside, it'd be cool to see if they can improve such things.  Grip, wrist snap, etc.  Curious to see what plays a part in making a pitch spin better.  

Foreign substances.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/trevor-bauer-addresses-astros-spin-rate-cheating-controversy-offers-no-comment-after-his-own-spin-rate-improves/amp/

• Replies 448
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I am *so* enthralled to see if they can make his spin rate better.  

Sarcasm aside, it'd be cool to see if they can improve such things.  Grip, wrist snap, etc.  Curious to see what plays a part in making a pitch spin better.  

I would also trade Givens now if you get a good enough return for him.

Also interested in seeing what magic they can work with the ptiching staff. Might take a few years to see the real effects. With the current pitching staff you can't exactly make chicken salad out of chicken shxx. 

3 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Bauer needs to move under a bridge.

I think the reddit link I posted yesterday also applies to him some days.

He is quite sophomoric, I’m not a fan at all, but he has a point about the potential of substances to increase spin rate.

13 minutes ago, Luke-OH said:

Didn't know that.  Here's an interesting piece from Verducci:  https://www.si.com/mlb/2018/05/02/trevor-bauer-houston-astros-spin-rate-pine-tar

Fact 6: Gerrit Cole’s four-seam spin rate has jumped this year after his trade from Pittsburgh to Houston.

Okay, now we get to what looks like the real beef of Bauer. Cole and Bauer were teammates at UCLA. In 2011 Cole was drafted first overall by Pittsburgh and Bauer was drafted third by Arizona. In November of 2012 Tom Singer, writing for MLB.com, wrote that Cole and Bauer were “developing a dislike for each other” that “became so bitter” that each refused to comment on the other.

Batters never hit worse than .243 against Cole’s four-seam fastball—until this year. They’re hitting .110. Okay, small sample—it’s just one month.

But that jump in four-seam spin rate (albeit based on 274 heaters this year and 1,603 last year) is eye-catching. I don’t know of an equivalent. We’ll have to see how the year plays out.

That’s the kind of consistency you would expect to see from a healthy pitcher. It’s also almost the exact definition of an average four-seam fastball. This year the MLB average is 2,262.

So here you have Bauer—the ultimate spin nerd, with his own Trackman system, his devotion to understanding the physics and biomechanics of pitching—and no matter what he does he is stuck with average spin on his heater.

And now here is Cole, his college teammate and apparent rival, who never spun the ball as fast he does, and suddenly he is zooming past Bauer in four-seam spin rate. Apparently from such discoveries are Twitter wars born.

copying and pasting the charts didn't work.  

2 hours ago, Camden_yardbird said:

Thats short sighted IMO.  I would pay 4-5 million for a n organizations top 10 prospect which is what signing and trading him would be.

If he pitches well and if they can trade him.  They will not take the chance.

2 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

You're right, there's no hurry.  But I think Givens is, like, the one sell high piece we have right now.  He's been a steady performer for three years but I'd want to trade him now while we know he still has high value.  I think he's gonna have quite a workload this season, it'd suck to see him break down and have the trade value plummet.  

April  5..1 ERA

June 7.04 ERA

July  4.66 ERA

Does not make  Givens at his peak.

10 hours ago, wildcard said:

April  5..1 ERA

June 7.04 ERA

July  4.66 ERA

Does not make  Givens at his peak.

Cherry picking months that support your argument? He averages 10.3 K/9 and has three years of control. You really think that isn’t attractive to a team in need of a bullpen arm?

Once Kimbrel and a couple others are off the market teams could easily inquire about Givens.

10 minutes ago, Il BuonO said:

Cherry picking months that support your argument? He averages 10.3 K/9 and has three years of control. You really think that isn’t attractive to a team in need of a bullpen arm?

Once Kimbrel and a couple others are off the market teams could easily inquire about Givens.

I didn't say that there are not teams that would not trade for Givens.  I said that with the season he had last year he is not at his peak value.right now.

Archived