Trumbo sounds cautiously doubtful to be ready by Opening Day

wildcard

53 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Jim Duquette said on Wall to Wall  baseball on Saturday that because the O's are no going to contend in 2019 his thoughts as a former GM are that he would delay the service clock of Hays, Diaz, and McKenna.  That is just his opinion but I can see the logic.

Totally agree with this.  It's not like Hays or Diaz are beating down the door anyway, and McKenna wasn't good in his half season AA stint.  

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If nothing else, this temporarily unclogs the 1B/DH logjam and should (mercifully) keep Mancini out of the OF. If he does manage to return before the deadline and can put up something around his career-average pace and net Baltimore a lottery ticket, well and good.

2 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

He should take into consideration future quality of life and retire.

I doubt he's going to give up $13.5 million even if he can't play anymore. Besides, it shouldn't like he's trying to come back but doesn't want to rush it vs his quality of life is up for grabs. We're talking a knee here not concussions or something similar.

1 minute ago, Tony-OH said:

I doubt he's going to give up $13.5 million even if he can't play anymore. Besides, it shouldn't like he's trying to come back but doesn't want to rush it vs his quality of life is up for grabs. We're talking a knee here not concussions or something similar.

I wasn't being serious.

I do wonder if the contract is at all insured in case he does miss the entire season.

51 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

If Yaz was named John Smith or Juan Sanchez what are the odds he'd be the 2019 Orioles' right fielder with his resume? 5%?

About the same odds of him actually being the RFer next year. The Orioles are not going to go into 2018 with a Rickard/Yaz platoon in RF. I think they will find some cheap veteran left-handed alternative before going to Yaz. 

15 minutes ago, FanSince88 said:

Totally agree with this.  It's not like Hays or Diaz are beating down the door anyway, and McKenna wasn't good in his half season AA stint.  

Depends what’s meant by delaying their service clock.    If you mean none of those three are on the OD roster, I completely agree.    But let’s say one or all of those guys tear it up in the first half — would you keep them in the minors until May/June 2020?

31 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

This is probably oversimplifying, but they fell into the Nelson Cruz trap.  They believed that one-dimensional 30-something sluggers were a good bet, instead of the abysmal, soul-crushing gamble they really are.

Meanwhile Cruz continued to be a good bet. And an outlier. What a player.

1 hour ago, DrungoHazewood said:

If Yaz was named John Smith or Juan Sanchez what are the odds he'd be the 2019 Orioles' right fielder with his resume? 5%?

Yaz has a better arm than Stewart, Mullins or Mancini.  He has more range the Stewart or Mancini.  He had 290/378/489/867 in AAA away from Harbor Park.   He deserves a look in ST if the O's don't sign a better RFer.  He is probably only needed until Hays is ready for the majors.

3 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Yaz has a better arm than Stewart, Mullins or Mancini.  He has more range the Stewart or Mancini.  He had 290/378/489/867 in AAA away from Harbor Park.   He deserves a look in ST if the O's don't sign a better RFer.  He is probably only needed until Hays is ready for the majors.

I thought it was downright weird that he didn't get a look last ST.

25 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Depends what’s meant by delaying their service clock.    If you mean none of those three are on the OD roster, I completely agree.    But let’s say one or all of those guys tear it up in the first half — would you keep them in the minors until May/June 2020?

Hays will be 24 in July.  I would like to see  him sometime in the 2nd half.     Diaz and McKenna will both play 2019 at 22 years old.  I could see them staying in the minors all this season.

1 hour ago, DrungoHazewood said:

I'd take that!

A highlight of my baseball fandom was thousands of Japanese fans chanting "home-run home run Ba-tis-ta!" at a Fukuoka Hawks game.

I am going to Japan in June. It's looking most likely that we will see one of the Tokyo teams but Fukuoka and Hiroshima are on the list. Major bucket list item.

3 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Hays will be 24 in July.  I would like to see  him sometime in the 2nd half.     Diaz and McKenna will both play 2019 at 22 year old.  I could see them staying in the minors all this season.

For me, I’m not making any blanket statements.   Let’s see how they play, and also, where they are placed in the MiL system.    Do any of them start the year in AAA?

2 hours ago, wildcard said:

If Trumbo is not available to begin the season I could see this alignment:

Davis 1B/DH

Mancini DH/1B

Stewart LF

Mullin/Rickard platoon  CF

Yaz or FA or Rickard RF

Jim Duquette said on Wall to Wall  baseball on Saturday that because the O's are no going to contend in 2019 his thoughts as a former GM are that he would delay the service clock of Hays, Diaz, and McKenna.  That is just his opinion but I can see the logic.

Why do you keep bringing Rickard? Don't the O's have better OF than Rickard to platoon?

Archived