What to expect, a thread about things the Astros did differently.

Luke-OH

36 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

To me the takeaway is that the Astros started ahead of the game on this and the Orioles will be competing with most of the league for these players as other teams are trying to replicate what the Astros did.

While this is much better than say concentrating on ground ball pitchers I wouldn't expect the level of success the Astros had.

I hope Elias finds another margin to exploit.

Partially, I think the Astros knew what to look for and then they knew what to do with it.  If I get a bunch of ingredients from the store, I won't know what to do with it, but Gordon Ramsey can make something awesome.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Partially, I think the Astros knew what to look for and then they knew what to do with it.  If I get a bunch of ingredients from the store, I won't know what to do with it, but Gordon Ramsey can make something awesome.

But what if you go to the store and they are out of Shallots because all the other cooks are following the same recipe?  You are stuck using yellow onions.

Luke, thanks for sharing. It’s interesting. Some interesting training methods out there in the vast land of private coaches and travel ball. Funny how that has trickled upward. Stuff like that is why I am poor, and cannot afford shallots...?. Baseball is a very expensive sport for your kid to play at a high level. 

22 minutes ago, Jammer7 said:

Luke, thanks for sharing. It’s interesting. Some interesting training methods out there in the vast land of private coaches and travel ball. Funny how that has trickled upward. Stuff like that is why I am poor, and cannot afford shallots...?. Baseball is a very expensive sport for your kid to play at a high level. 

Just a note about the tee thing, I'm not a baseball coach, but I don't think that philosophy applies to kids or relative novices. Tee work is important to develop swing mechanics in a controlled environment. I think it's more that teams are realizing that tee work isn't particularly important for pro playerswith well established fundamentals who are better off spending their time training against velocity and spin.

2 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

To me the takeaway is that the Astros started ahead of the game on this and the Orioles will be competing with most of the league for these players as other teams are trying to replicate what the Astros did.

While this is much better than say concentrating on ground ball pitchers I wouldn't expect the level of success the Astros had.

I hope Elias finds another margin to exploit.

Crawl before you walk, walk before you run.    But I think there’s a good chance Sig will get us running in the front of the pack eventually.   

To each their own. I’ve been around some professional hitters, mostly in the Spring training realm at a few different complexes, including the Nats and Astros. Tee work has a place in things for most. I am certainly not a professional coach, but if you listen to the reasons they do it, it makes sense. For some, it’s a simple thing like contact point reinforcement or staying on top of a high pitch or barrel control or backspin line drives to the back of the cage or whatever. Pro players can get out of whack certainly, and I think a controlled environment is helpful to get things back. For many, it’s a mental thing and a routine they go through. It certainly does not have to be Ripkenesque; i.e. hitting 250 balls off a tee to work on the latest stance adjustment.

I agree that for the pro it is much more beneficial to spend more time to see spin and velo. The reasons should be obvious. But I wouldn’t say tee work is unimportant. 

Archived