Orioles bump up reporting dates

Legend_Of_Joey

4 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Eh it’s just dudes but type. These guys really don’t have an offseason. If he hits the gym hard and lifts weights, transforms his body in 2-3 months, he’d be at risk for blowing out some tendon or ligament. 

Let the boy eat. 

I'm not concerned about the weight in and of itself. I'm just concerned about the lower body injuries he dealt with in 2018. That's why his fastball was 92 instead of 95 like it was earlier in the season. Strength and conditioning is key to injury prevention. 

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply
30 minutes ago, Luke-OH said:

I'm not concerned about the weight in and of itself. I'm just concerned about the lower body injuries he dealt with in 2018. That's why his fastball was 92 instead of 95 like it was earlier in the season. Strength and conditioning is key to injury prevention. 

Do you think the old school thinking is still valid? That pitchers should, above all, run run run? Build up the legs and stamina etc. etc.

14 minutes ago, scOtt said:

Do you think the old school thinking is still valid? That pitchers should, above all, run run run? Build up the legs and stamina etc. etc.

No. Pitching is a very specific action and while maybe pitchers throwing mid 80s didn't need to be really strong and spend a ton of time on arm care, today's pitchers do. 

Pitchers, like almost any athlete will do well to have some aerobic base, but once it's achieved, aerobic exercise should be minimal, just enough to maintain work capacity. Then you build general strength and muscle mass, but by the time a pitcher reaches the majors, this should have already happened. So then they'd just need to do heavy major lifts (squats, deadlifts, rows, pull-ups, horizontal and vertical presses) a couple times a week to maintain strength and size. The rest of their time should be spent doing pitching specific training: rotational power, lower body power, doing their throwing programs, arm care, and maintaining/improving the functional mobility of the hips and shoulder. 

Edit: There are some players who for one reason or another will have major deficiency in strength or mobility or aerobic capacity and will need to make it a focus of their off-season training. 

4 minutes ago, Luke-OH said:

No. Pitching is a very specific action and while maybe pitchers throwing mid 80s didn't need to be really strong and spend a ton of time on arm care, today's pitchers do. 

Pitchers, like almost any athlete will do well to have some aerobic base, but once it's achieved, aerobic exercise should be minimal, just enough to maintain work capacity. Then you build general strength and muscle mass, but by the time a pitcher reaches the majors, this should have already happened. So then they'd just need to do heavy major lifts (squats, deadlifts, rows, pull-ups, horizontal and vertical presses) a couple times a week to maintain strength and size. The rest of their time should be spent doing pitching specific training: rotational power, lower body power, doing their throwing programs, arm care, and maintaining/improving the functional mobility of the hips and shoulder. 

Sorry. Just the thought of CC or Bartolo trying to do a pull-up made me laugh! ?

Truth be told tho, I'll bet they both could do some.

7 minutes ago, scOtt said:

Sorry. Just the thought of CC or Bartolo trying to do a pull-up made me laugh! ?

Truth be told tho, I'll bet they both could do some.

Not sure how many CC could do, but Bartolo, at least in his prime was extremely strong for a pitcher. 

On 1/17/2019 at 4:05 AM, sportsfan8703 said:

Eh it’s just dudes but type. These guys really don’t have an offseason. If he hits the gym hard and lifts weights, transforms his body in 2-3 months, he’d be at risk for blowing out some tendon or ligament. 

Let the boy eat. 

I dont know if your first line was going for "body type" or "butt type" but I think the fact that either works is funny.

On 1/16/2019 at 12:18 PM, Legend_Of_Joey said:

Orioles Pitchers and Catchers now report on February 12th instead of the 13th. First full squad workout is February 18th.

One extra day might not really mean much. This gives the posters in Florida or who are traveling there an extra day to see some of the team. 

Can someone reach out to Chris Davis and make sure he got the memo?

37 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I'm OK if Davis just doesn't show up at all.

I get it.  Dude had one of the worst seasons in MLB history.  He got a contract which, in retrospect, looks like one of the worst ever signed.  But come on...

Davis is responsible for perhaps the most memorable moment of the Orioles last 10 years when he came in and got the win against Boston.

He is principally responsible for the Orioles return to competitive baseball. 

He had two MVP caliber seasons and was one of the most feared hitters in the league. 

I hope he shows up, and if I am lucky enough to catch a game this year I will be happy to cheer loudly for him, because I imagine what he will get from a lot of wannabe Orioles fans who dont care about anything but what you've done lately is boos.

1 hour ago, Camden_yardbird said:

I get it.  Dude had one of the worst seasons in MLB history.  He got a contract which, in retrospect, looks like one of the worst ever signed.  But come on...

Davis is responsible for perhaps the most memorable moment of the Orioles last 10 years when he came in and got the win against Boston.

He had two MVP caliber seasons and was one of the most feared hitters in the league. 

I hope he shows up, and if I am lucky enough to catch a game this year I will be happy to cheer loudly for him, because I imagine what he will get from a lot of wannabe Orioles fans who dont care about anything but what you've done lately is boos.

You had me until the bolded part.   His two big years were ones where we didn’t make the playoffs.    He was pretty terrible in 2014 and 2016 when we did make the playoffs.  He was pretty decent in 2012, but I certainly wouldn’t call him “principally responsible for the Orioles return to competitive baseball.”

1 hour ago, Camden_yardbird said:

Kim, Young and Andino are also responsible for memorable moments in the last 10 years.  Do we want them back?

What would be best for the Orioles is if he walked away.

And for the record the contract looked awful the second it was released to the public.

Archived