Orioles in the Hall of Fame Vote

orange23

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

If maybe all of them did it we need to throw all of them out!

No cheaters in the hall!

Zero tolerance!

Or put all of them in!!  If you don't ban everyone, then induct everyone!  The Black Sox, the Louisville guys, Hal Chase, Benny Kauff, Billy Maharg, plaques for everyone.  Grey areas are for the weak.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, DrungoHazewood said:

Or put all of them in!!  If you don't ban everyone, then induct everyone!  The Black Sox, the Louisville guys, Hal Chase, Benny Kauff, Billy Maharg, plaques for everyone.  Grey areas are for the weak.

Everyone other than Shoeless Joe and Pete Rose.

?

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

So you don't want steroid users in because they cheated but you are fine with Perry, who famously cheated every chance he got?

I'm confused.

I didn't know how to answer your question if I wanted Perry and Kelly kicked out. I don't know about either player. Now I'm sorry I even posted about Tejada. 

3 minutes ago, Tx Oriole said:

I didn't know how to answer your question if I wanted Perry and Kelly kicked out. I don't know about either player. Now I'm sorry I even posted about Tejada. 

Perry threw a spit ball.  A lot.  It wasn't a legal pitch.

He cheated, he made money off of selling a book about how he cheated.

220px-Me_and_the_Spitter.jpg

King Kelly is a guy from way back when that they tell lots of stories about him cheating in various ways.

2 hours ago, DrungoHazewood said:

Every other modern O's Hall of Famer who spent a large percentage of his peak in Baltimore and hoisted a trophy or two, depending on where you draw the line on "large percentage".  Robin Roberts doesn't have one.  Jim Thome isn't getting one.  Vlad isn't getting one, and I seriously doubt Baines is.  Tim Raines isn't.  None for Alomar.  No way for a Lee Smith statue.  None of Wee Willie, Ned Hanlon, Uncle Robbie, Hughie, Joe Kelley, or John McGraw have one.  George Kell, no.  Hoyt Wilhelm... nope.  Little Louie... nope. 

None of those others went into the Hall as an O.  None of those others you mentioned spend the majority of their career in Baltimore like Moose.  I'd like to think he'd get a statue.  If not, he'd be the only HOF elected as an Oriole not to have a statue.  Then it just starts to get weird after a few years of why everyone else but him?  Should he really be punished for not winning a championship?  We probably don't even make the playoffs in 96 or 97 without him.

18 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

So you don't want steroid users in because they cheated but you are fine with Perry, who famously cheated every chance he got?

I'm confused.

There's on the field cheating, scuffing balls, corking bats.  But when it comes to injecting something in your butt that you can't pronounce...well, there are standards, CoC.  

11 minutes ago, BohKnowsBmore said:

There's really no good baseball reason to keep Schilling out of the hall (unless his win total is the hill you want to die on).  Phenomenal baseball card numbers, 80 rWAR and fWAR, great postseason statistics including a WS MVP.

He’ll get in.   Time in the penalty box for being an a-hole.   

19 minutes ago, BohKnowsBmore said:

There's really no good baseball reason to keep Schilling out of the hall (unless his win total is the hill you want to die on).  Phenomenal baseball card numbers, 80 rWAR and fWAR, great postseason statistics including a WS MVP.

Like I have said many times they need to take the hall of fame vote away from journalists.  For his time as a player he belongs in the Hall of Fame.  As a person he belongs in the hall of shame.

2 hours ago, atomic said:

Like I have said many times they need to take the hall of fame vote away from journalists.  For his time as a player he belongs in the Hall of Fame.  As a person he belongs in the hall of shame.

Yeah they have to separate that. I too find how he acts as a person insufferable but I can't let that get in the way of talent. The guy knew how to win when it counted. 

On 1/19/2019 at 2:07 PM, DrungoHazewood said:

Well, for me there's a difference between cheating for a competitive advantage, and intentionally throwing games.

10 hours ago, Frobby said:

He’ll get in.   Time in the penalty box for being an a-hole.   

He needs his brain checked but it shouldn't take this long to elect him.  Roy Halladay skates in first ballot (good for him tho) and I would take Schilling's career first - at least, they are surprisingly comparable.

Archived