Yolbert Sanchez (Cuban defector)

SilverRocket

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 hours ago, Luke-OH said:

And this is what Elias was talking about recently. These guys are spoken for years in advance. We are years behind the game in recruiting these guys, and it *does not matter* how much money we have at times. It's going to be a few years before we are really back in the international game. But you never know, fingers crossed.

EDIT: Nevermind! Corrected by Luke on this.

5 minutes ago, interloper said:

And this is what Elias was talking about recently. These guys are spoken for years in advance. We are years behind the game in recruiting these guys, and it *does not matter* how much money we have at times. It's going to be a few years before we are really back in the international game. But you never know, fingers crossed.

I'll repeat, the Cuban defectors are not spoken for years in advance and it does matter how much money a team has.  It's a completely different situation than with 16 year old Dominican or Venezuelan prospects (money matters for those signings as well, but early money commitments). 

I don't know the veracity of the report I retweeted, but the White Sox are limited to 300K signings this period. So unless they are dangling money to have him wait until July, their handshake agreement (if it actually exists) may be in jeopardy of falling through if the Orioles deem he's worth a bonus of 10x what the Chi Sox can offer now. 

23 minutes ago, Luke-OH said:

I'll repeat, the Cuban defectors are not spoken for years in advance and it does matter how much money a team has.  It's a completely different situation than with 16 year old Dominican or Venezuelan prospects (money matters for those signings as well, but early money commitments). 

I don't know the veracity of the report I retweeted, but the White Sox are limited to 300K signings this period. So unless they are dangling money to have him wait until July, their handshake agreement (if it actually exists) may be in jeopardy of falling through if the Orioles deem he's worth a bonus of 10x what the Chi Sox can offer now. 

And unlike the 16 year-olds who might be enticed, waiting until July 1st would be a major impediment for a (soon to be) 22 year-old guy like Sanchez who would be more affected by losing four months of development (reps, acclimation to American baseball, diet, training, etc.).

2 minutes ago, MurphDogg said:

And unlike the 16 year-olds who might be enticed, waiting until July 1st would be a major impediment for a (soon to be) 22 year-old guy like Sanchez who would be more affected by losing four months of development (reps, acclimation to American baseball, diet, training, etc.).

Agreed.

5 minutes ago, MurphDogg said:

In theory, he would be able to start with one of our MiLB affiliates opening day (and be in ST) if he inked a deal with us on Feb 5th (when he can sign IIRC), right?

41 minutes ago, Luke-OH said:

Fair enough! Did not know that about Cuban defectors.

16 minutes ago, BohKnowsBmore said:

In theory, he would be able to start with one of our MiLB affiliates opening day (and be in ST) if he inked a deal with us on Feb 5th (when he can sign IIRC), right?

There could be visa hold-ups but theoretically.

He's going to hold workouts for teams, so that makes me think the White Sox deal isn't really a thing. 

I won't be following this.  Odds are we won't sign him even if he is a good player and we have the most slots available. We didn't sign guys like Gaston and the Brothers Mesa so I highly sign this guy unless no other team wants him.

2 minutes ago, atomic said:

I won't be following this.  Odds are we won't sign him even if he is a good player and we have the most slots available. We didn't sign guys like Gaston and the Brothers Mesa so I highly sign this guy unless no other team wants him.

It's going to depend on what the new regime thinks of them. The Mesa Brothers and Gaston were available before Elias and team was onboard so I expect ownership set a top limit for spending and it wasn't enough for the O's to convince them to come further north than a much more comfortable environment (given their backgrounds) in Florida.

I think Elias and company will be given more freedom to operate as they deem fit in this case which could allow the team to go higher (comparatively to other offers) than they could in the Mesa situation. That is, if the team feels he's worthy of that.

1 minute ago, RVAOsFan said:

@Luke-OH have you or anyone else had a chance to look at any video or scouting reports on Sanchez? Where would this guy fit into our current prospect rankings? Is he a top 10 type of guy?

Umm, I've seen basic notes on him, but not a full scouting report and I've seen the one video of him on youtube. It's hard to have a solid opinion of him from that, but the basic idea is Richie Martin with more uncertainty with the bat. Meaning higher ceiling, lower floor, but he'll be a solid defensive SS. He sound like he'd probably be a 45 FV for me, so not top 10, but like 15-20. 

Using Fangraphs prospect valuations, a 45 FV position player is worth about 6M in surplus value, so a bonus in the 2M to 4M range seems like a suitable bonus given the risks associated with not having a great scouting history of the guy. 

Since I'm going off of limited info, take that with a healthy grain of salt.

2 hours ago, MurphDogg said:

Not to mention the money in his hands for a guy coming out of Cuba and looking to realize part of his dreams (and his agent seeking his big payday perhaps).  I don't have any idea, of course, like the rest of us but JMHO.

43 minutes ago, Luke-OH said:

Umm, I've seen basic notes on him, but not a full scouting report and I've seen the one video of him on youtube. It's hard to have a solid opinion of him from that, but the basic idea is Richie Martin with more uncertainty with the bat. Meaning higher ceiling, lower floor, but he'll be a solid defensive SS. He sound like he'd probably be a 45 FV for me, so not top 10, but like 15-20. 

Using Fangraphs prospect valuations, a 45 FV position player is worth about 6M in surplus value, so a bonus in the 2M to 4M range seems like a suitable bonus given the risks associated with not having a great scouting history of the guy. 

Since I'm going off of limited info, take that with a healthy grain of salt.

So not a drop dead need but with Martin and Jackson big question marks, who knows.  Glad ME gets to make the call.

Archived